Why does the term 'PP QB' exist?

Grimshaw
02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
It's not like the players that are given this designation are calling out plays or serve a function even closely related to what a quarterback actually is in football, I just don't like it one bit, no sir.

DBU
02-09-2011, 10:10 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jWNhyMUpjSE/SkVV5_PlIkI/AAAAAAAAD64/hUeiagvaAxQ/s400/no.jpg

tim
02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
PP QBs generally control the puck and divvy it out to their teammates.

Frankie Spankie
02-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Quarterback - noun - a person who leads or directs a group or activity.

What's not to understand? A PP QB runs the PP, hence the term PP QB.

AfroThunder396
02-09-2011, 10:14 PM
To get more NFL fans to watch.

vladmyir111
02-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Quarterback - noun - a person who leads or directs a group or activity.

What's not to understand? A PP QB runs the PP, hence the term PP QB.

But he's not calling out plays from his wristband, so confusing!!!!!!!!!!!

Paranoid Android
02-09-2011, 10:15 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zENuDflPejY/SS1mK9V63tI/AAAAAAAADSs/tD6OvdyTzUQ/s400/mr__horse.png

xtr3m
02-09-2011, 10:15 PM
When a team is on a power play, a defence player can set up plays in the offensive zone, and distribute the puck to the teammate that he or she feels is in the best position to score, similar to a point guard in basketball and a quarterback in American football and Canadian football. For this reason, a defenceman will often be described as the power play "quarterback".http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenceman

Lynk
02-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Quality thread.

MeowLeafs
02-09-2011, 10:27 PM
It's a made up term. Kinda like "generational player"

magic school bus
02-09-2011, 10:41 PM
its "stealing" the position Quarterback from football.

the QB runs the PP, like a QB controls the game from the pocket on a football field. he can direct traffic, and distribute the ball (or puck in this case) to put his teammates in the best position possible to succeed.

Makes lots of sense.

njdevils1982
02-09-2011, 11:21 PM
It's not like the players that are given this designation are calling out plays or serve a function even closely related to what a quarterback actually is in football, I just don't like it one bit, no sir.

wow.....ive seen it all now.

ok. so.

you want football so you can understand?

fullback: doesnt actually play fully back

halfback: plays BEHIND the fullback (blows my mind too)

football: soccer has a "QB" now?! wow.....i missed out.

but to quote you: "serve a function even closely related to what a quarterback actually is in football"

look up an 'umbrella' powerplay formation and it should make more sense.

...sorry for being so harsh....its my nature.

Ibrahim
02-09-2011, 11:28 PM
http://www.eurweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/chris-paul.jpg

PP PG?

MoreMogilny
02-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Seems pretty straight forward to me.

PPQB is responsible for setting up the play and distributing the puck to his teammates.

Kane One
02-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Because they are the QB of the PP?

Sebastien Centomo
02-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Why is it called icing when it has absolutely nothing to do with baking?

impeach estaalo
02-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Because then we'd have to call Joe Corvo what he really is, which is a horrible defenseman with nice stickhandling moves.

Analyzer
02-09-2011, 11:49 PM
You can't call Marc-Andre Bergeron ****ing terrible on air, so they have to address him as something.

eli J
02-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Think it's just a dumb buzzword people on here like to sling around, like the 21 year old posters calling prospects "good kids"

Dogkota
02-10-2011, 12:23 AM
HURR DERP WHY DO THEY CALL EM WINGERS??? ITS NOT LIKE ALEX OVECHKIN HAS FEATHERS LOLLlllzzz

hatterson
02-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Why are goalies often called netkeepers.

They do not keep the net. They have nothing to do with the actual condition of the net nor do they take it home with them after games and ensure its safe storage. They simply show up and stand in front of it.

Should be called net-stander-in-fronters

njdevils1982
02-10-2011, 12:36 AM
HURR DERP WHY DO THEY CALL EM WINGERS??? ITS NOT LIKE ALEX OVECHKIN HAS FEATHERS LOLLlllzzz

very nice. (be sure to drink your ovaltine bania)

um
02-10-2011, 12:58 AM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dolemite
02-10-2011, 01:04 AM

Because the term 'PP Punter' is just silly.

saillias
02-10-2011, 01:04 AM
I think the term is dumb, not because it rips off football but because realistically there's no such thing, really. Some dishing wiz, standing around passing pucks around like crazy... It's a 5 man effort. Everyone has solid passing for an effective powerplay.

adaptation
02-10-2011, 01:07 AM
The term penalty kill is wrong also. They are not killing the penalty, because the penalty as already been done. How can one kill an action of the pass?

PK should be called

''playing with 1 less player due to an infraction commited by the disadvantaged team, in order to compensate for the misdeed previously commited''

On a serious note, PP QB is used because when the team sets up in an umbrella formation(that is 2 near the crease,2 on the boards near the marks and 1 in the middle of the blue line, the middle of the blue line guy is refered as the QB.)

CloutierForVezina
02-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Why are goalies often called netkeepers.

They do not keep the net. They have nothing to do with the actual condition of the net nor do they take it home with them after games and ensure its safe storage. They simply show up and stand in front of it.

Should be called net-stander-in-fronters

j0qm0KUPeD8

quesosauce
02-10-2011, 01:21 AM
http://www.eurweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/chris-paul.jpg

PP PG?

so THATS why they call him cp3!!!! pppg! theres 3 p's!

Vagrant
02-10-2011, 01:48 AM
It really starts to become confusing when you consider that most powerplay formations are centric around the man working the halfwall on the unit. He's the guy that's really the conduit between the forwards down low and the point shot. When it comes to having to be "cerebral", having a smart player on the boards is much more of a concern of a strong powerplay unit than having an equally adept player on the point. Point men simply have to move the puck quickly with accuracy and are more reactive than creative.

PP QB is now virtually synonymous with a player that can shoot the puck really really hard and also happens to play defense and can handle the puck adequately enough to pass when so inclined.

Mayor Bee
02-10-2011, 02:41 AM
wow.....ive seen it all now.

ok. so.

you want football so you can understand?

fullback: doesnt actually play fully back

halfback: plays BEHIND the fullback (blows my mind too)

This is a relic of the single wing; the quarterback was the first guy toward the back of the formation (and was primarily a blocking back who would never handle the ball). The halfback was the lead blocker, and the fullback or tailback was the last guy, and he did pretty much everything. Eventually, teams started employing formation variants that saw two tailbacks, and the person who was once the tailback would move up, in motion, or all sorts of things. Over time, the terms switched.

If you want to see an offense where the guy furthest off the ball is still officially called the fullback, watch Navy or Georgia Tech.

TheDanceOfMaternity
02-10-2011, 03:41 AM
Well, for 3 years, all the sharks did on the PP was give the puck to Joe Thornton on the half-boards and wait for him to do something.

That is worthy of being called a PP QB in my opinion.

Sojourn
02-10-2011, 03:48 AM
I think the term is dumb, not because it rips off football but because realistically there's no such thing, really. Some dishing wiz, standing around passing pucks around like crazy... It's a 5 man effort. Everyone has solid passing for an effective powerplay.

None of that disputes the PP QB position. It just means that a PP QB doesn't do it by himself.

P U L L H A R D
02-10-2011, 04:07 AM
R6Mj1Us13Yk

wtfisthis
02-10-2011, 04:07 AM
The term PP QB only makes sense in the umbrella PP. The guy on the top pretty much runs the powerplay and dishes out the puck to whoever is open.

Drunkspleen
02-10-2011, 05:48 AM
It really starts to become confusing when you consider that most powerplay formations are centric around the man working the halfwall on the unit. He's the guy that's really the conduit between the forwards down low and the point shot. When it comes to having to be "cerebral", having a smart player on the boards is much more of a concern of a strong powerplay unit than having an equally adept player on the point. Point men simply have to move the puck quickly with accuracy and are more reactive than creative.

PP QB is now virtually synonymous with a player that can shoot the puck really really hard and also happens to play defense and can handle the puck adequately enough to pass when so inclined.

I disagree, infact that's the opposite of what I think when I think PPQB.

My mind jumps to guys like Rafalski, Kaberle, and Markov, who while not renowned for their shooting are excellent at distributing the puck and helping create a play for someone else, whereas a Shea Weber, while an adequate passer, I would not consider him a PPQB since he is more inclined to look to generate plays through his shooting/rebounding.

Derick*
02-10-2011, 06:20 AM

But it is related to what a quarterback is in football. Because it's easier to keep possession of the puck and execute an exact strategy, and because you're a lot more likely to pass it around than to have one player try to rush the net, a power play in hockey is analogous to being the team on offense in football. A football quarterback starts the offensive play and does so (usually) by giving it to someone else who's run closer to the end zone. A PP QB is a player that has possession at the blue line as the team enters the offensive zone and passes the puck up, and does so again when the team regains possession.