Meszaros

N Bahn Ahden
06-29-2004, 07:45 PM
Anybody know what his plans are for next season? Is he going to stay at Trencin, go to north america?

Golbez
06-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Anybody know what his plans are for next season? Is he going to stay at Trencin, go to north america?

Well, he isn't going to the CHL, which would be a major step down.

With all of the labour uncertainty, he has basically committed himself to another yea at Trencin and the national team. It's not 100%, but my money is on it from all I've heard thus far.

N Bahn Ahden
06-30-2004, 01:05 PM
I agree that he shouldn't go to the CHL because it is a step down and wouldn't help his development, but he did got today in the CHL import draft 16th overall to the Vancouver Giants. I think this means that he is at least considering coming over to the CHL. If he was sure he would come over he would have gone top 3, but if he was totally decided that he would stay at Trencin he probably wouldn't have gone so high. So he is probably still waying his desicions. Maybe his thinking is that he will come over and hopefully surprise in the Sens camp and stick, and if he doesn't make it, then go to play in the CHL?

Ego
07-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Meszaros will stay in Slovakia. Giants just tried the same thing as Lewiston (Sherbrooke) few years ago. They drafted Richard Stehlik even if he declared he wants to stay in Slovakia. He was playing Slovak Extraleague. One year later, after being not drafted (agent Walsh`s mistake) and losing his spot in men`s team (new coach) he decided to go to NA. Sherbrooke had his rights so he had to go there.

N Bahn Ahden
07-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Still on the topic of Meszaros. Can anybody who has seen him play tell me if he shoots left or right. There are conflicting reports, with some sources saying he is a right hand shot (The Hockey News) and others saying that he shoots left (www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/feature.asp?fid=9468). Thanks

12# Peter Bondra
07-08-2004, 06:43 AM
He shoots left. I saw him in cca 10 games and he always had shooting left.

Safir*
07-09-2004, 06:54 AM
I got question on the origin of his last name. Where does the name Meszáros come from. Is it Slovakian or Hungarian?

Golbez
07-09-2004, 09:25 PM
I got question on the origin of his last name. Where does the name Meszáros come from. Is it Slovakian or Hungarian?

Meszaros is definitely Hungarian. Lots of Magyar names in Slovakia (Nagy, Palffy, Orszagh, Mezei)

12# Peter Bondra
07-10-2004, 04:55 AM
I wouldn't say Mezei is a Hungarian name. But it surely isnt Slovakian too.

Golbez
07-20-2004, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't say Mezei is a Hungarian name. But it surely isnt Slovakian too.
Oh Mezei is definitely Hungarian
more Mezei's in Hungary than Bondra's in Slovakia ;)

12# Peter Bondra
07-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Oh Mezei is definitely Hungarian
more Mezei's in Hungary than Bondra's in Slovakia ;)

Thats questionable. :)

Kiraly
07-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Mezei is definitely a Hungarian name.

The name means "agrarian"

Meszaros is the hungarian equivalent of "butcher", orszag means "country", and nagy in English is "big".

12# Peter Bondra
07-24-2004, 04:17 AM
Im not an expert on Hungarian names so you are probably right.

Nikkowar
07-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Speaking of Hungarian names,I heard that Handzus was a Hungarian name as well.

Free Torts
07-31-2004, 03:28 AM
Well, he isn't going to the CHL, which would be a major step down.
He will be in the CHL next season with the Vancouver Giants.

iAvs
08-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Speaking of Hungarian names,I heard that Handzus was a Hungarian name as well.

I think it is. One of my good friends is Hungarian & she HATES it when announcers say "Nagy" when it's supposed to be pronounced "Noj". She also pointed that out that Palffy is a Hungarian name. I always give her a hard time. For all these Hungarian hockey players... not a whole lot are actually from Hungary ;)