[FIN] Next Numminen?

mattihp
08-25-2004, 09:01 AM
As Numminen probably has served out his time as clear cut #1 defenseman on the national team, will a new edge grow out to fill that position for years to come or will it change and Finland just go out with a strong overall defense without that extra punch a true #1 gives?

Any names on prospects for this?

Joni Pitkänen - Matures quickly, might better his overall game alot very soon. Has a scoring touch and can hit. How about injuries?

Teemu Laakso - Who knows? :dunno:

Risto Korhonen - Not good enough overall game? :dunno:

others?

ALF AmericanLionsFan
08-25-2004, 09:48 AM
I think Pitkanen is going to be a super player for years to come. Give him another year or so.

Evil Speaker
08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Korpikari

Raimo Sillanpää
08-26-2004, 02:54 AM
Ossi Väänänen develops his offensive side at Colorado?

Can happen, he's talented enouhg and young enough.

Pekka Lampinen
08-26-2004, 08:12 AM
Numminen never packed "that extra punch" for team Finland, only a substantial amount of quality. Pitkänen is as good a chance as the country ever gets: should he fail, we'll have to wait until the next decade. We should be worrying about depth as well.

I'd go to the 2008 World Cup with a corps consisting of

Pitkänen (an imperfect #1 d-man on an NHL team at that point, 24 years old)
Väänänen (solid #2, 28)
Lydman (in the same role but more effective and experienced than now, 31)
Timonen (a veteran presence in Nashville, 33)
Söderholm (a legit #4, 30)
Laakso (still learning but a useful asset nonetheless, 21)

mattihp
08-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Ossi Väänänen develops his offensive side at Colorado?

Can happen, he's talented enouhg and young enough.
He's got good offensive talent already. Hits good passes and posesses a hard shot that isn't too inaccurate. Just tell him to tell offense and he'll do so.

I have to say that a defenseman that gets praise from Ruotsalainen sure must be something to the future... Great call on Korpikari.

Jamina
08-27-2004, 09:26 AM
Sami Lepistö

mattihp
08-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Sami Lepistö
If he starts hitting more, it wouldn't be an impossibility to see him a regular on the national team in the future.

Good Call Jamina, and one question: are you one of the few european girls on these boards?

Tepa
09-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Janne Niskala is one possibilty. One of the best defence man in SM-liiga, scores over twenty goals. He was taken part Nashville prospect camp. 23 years old.

Lasse Kukkonen returns back to Kärpät, but has already palyed couple of NHL games. He is allround defender, makes mistakes very rarely and has good leadership features. He always plays for the team with big heart.

Padawan
09-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Lasse Kukkonen returns back to Kärpät, but has already palyed couple of NHL games. He is allround defender, makes mistakes very rarely and has good leadership features. He always plays for the team with big heart.
I think Kukkonen made a huge mistake of coming back to Finland. The NHL GM's doesn't like quitters. I'll doubt he will make an NHL contract in the next few years. Still, I hope I'm wrong.

mattihp
09-14-2004, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kukkonen in the ranks of Columbus or Pittsburgh come next season.

teme
09-15-2004, 04:29 AM
Numminen never packed "that extra punch" for team Finland, only a substantial amount of quality. Pitkänen is as good a chance as the country ever gets: should he fail, we'll have to wait until the next decade. We should be worrying about depth as well.

I'd go to the 2008 World Cup with a corps consisting of

Pitkänen (an imperfect #1 d-man on an NHL team at that point, 24 years old)
Väänänen (solid #2, 28)
Lydman (in the same role but more effective and experienced than now, 31)
Timonen (a veteran presence in Nashville, 33)
Söderholm (a legit #4, 30)
Laakso (still learning but a useful asset nonetheless, 21)

I agree that Pitkänen is the big thing, but when it comes to depth I don't see the problem. Salo (and Niinimaa and Karalahti) are the same age as Timonen. Berg is serviceable. The young Jokerit trio Lepistö, Kantee and Kalteva looks good, well two first ones at least. Then there is Kukkonen, and if we are seriously considering Söderhom we might as well include Niemi too.