|Federal Law requires that you be 13 years of age or older to register for our forums. If you do not meet the age requirement, do not proceed with registration. If you are already registered and it is determined that you are under age 13, your account will be deleted. Although our content is suitable for all ages we are not permitted to collect personal data required for registration such as email addresses, IP numbers, etc, on individuals under age 13. By registering you acknowledge you have read and accept the forum rules.
Posting Rules: Unacceptable Conduct
1) Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted. Do not call other posters trolls. Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack. Do not start threads to call out and embarrass other members; or make posts about ignore lists.
2) Trolling: Do not make posts or threads with the sole intent of starting a dispute. Please note that a person disagreeing with your opinion is NOT trolling. Please keep it civil even if you're sure the other person is wrong. When visiting the team forums, please note that these are fan forums for that team and are here mainly for the enjoyment of that team's fans. Do not visit team forums to cheer against nor demean their team. In other words, if you want to cheer for the Habs and criticize the Bruins, do it on the Habs board. And if someone is doing the opposite on the Bruins board, don't start flaming them to defend the honor of your team. Either ignore it or respectfully disagree and move on. Wishing illness or injury on someone will be regarded as trolling or offensive in most cases. We do not permit any forums to be used to demean/insult the fans of other teams. This is viewed as trolling/flaming. Copying posts from one HFBoard forum to another for this purpose is considered trolling/flaming as well.
3) Spamming: Please do not double post or cross-post the same message in multiple forums. You will not PM or email multiple members of this site the same message. This includes "bump threads" and posts intended merely to increase one's post count. Worthless posts with no content and nonsensical posts eat up space and waste everyone's time. One or two word responses such as "Me Too", "I agree", "great post!", smileys not accompanied by content, links posted with no description (or an inaccurate one), and similar responses may be considered spam. Creating large blank areas in posts is spam. These are not allowed on the hockey forums. Fantasy League announcements/solicitations are to be posted in the Fantasy Talk and Hockey Video Games Forum ONLY. If you solicit on our other forums you will be given an infraction for spamming and your posts will be deleted. Moderators on the team forums are permitted to allow a fantasy league thread or two for that team's fans (e.g., NY Ranger Fans Yahoo Fantasy League). Anything beyond that must use the Fantasy forum. Only free fantasy leagues are permitted. If you're charging money for it, take out an ad.
4) Offensive Posts, Links or Images: No NSFW content. NSFW ("Not Safe For Work") is defined as anything that most people would not want their bosses, parents, and/or teachers to see. Do not use profanity, racial, ethnic, religious, or other slurs and stereotypes, or post sexually-oriented material, masturbatory and excretory references, or any other offensive material. This includes "Victim Pictures" of people and animals after they have been through some form of bodily trauma; Photographic picture featuring the rear end of anatomy; Photographic picture featuring creative uses of anatomy and liquids, and pedophilic jokes. Nude and semi-nude images are not to be posted here. That includes your avatar. These are not "Babe" forums for displaying content that belongs in swimsuit calendars or lingerie catalogs.
Do not circumvent the obscenity filter by using numbers or characters such as ! or $. A word's exclusion from the obscenity filter does not mean its usage is endorsed.
We have members from different countries, religions, and cultural backgrounds. Even if you express a point of view that is very popular in your culture, it may generate a negative reaction from members in another part of the world so please exercise tact.
5) Advertising: Posting or private messaging to sell, buy, or trade products or services, links to auctions, affiliate links, links to promote personal or commercial websites, blogs, personal YT channels, other forums and so forth is not allowed anywhere without explicit permission. Abuse of the PM system is based on member complaints. The only exception is moderator approved ticket exchange threads. If you have a website or business, you may include the link to your site in your signature ONLY. Signatures are only provided to Sponsors and Staff. Links to other forums or to incentive-based promotions may NOT be included in signatures. Unsolicited advertising may result in a permanent ban and your site being blacklisted. While we encourage posters to cite sources and articles with links to websites, they are not to be posted by members with a vested interest in bringing traffic to those sites. In other words, if you work for a site (paid or not), do not post links to its articles. Photos and photo galleries are not subject to this restriction. If you wish to advertise on HFBoards or Hockey's Future please contact email@example.com.
Sites that do not have forums are advised to check out our Partners program. There is a link for it in the bottom navigation bar.
6) No Disclosure of Personal Information: Do not disclose any other member's email, real name, address, phone number, IP address, or other personal information. Do not disclose emails, private messages, infractions, warnings, bans or other site discipline on the open forum. Do not bring personal disputes into the forums.
7) Copyrighted Material: Generally you can assume that anything you find online is copyrighted. We prefer you post a synopsis in your own words and the link to the article. It's permissible to quote up to 20 lines of text and you must provide commentary. Links posted with no description (or an inaccurate one) may be removed at the moderators' discretion. DO NOT POST ENTIRE ARTICLES. If you have a question about copyrights see Brad Templeton's 10 Big Myths about copyright explained.
8) Warez: Do not use these forums (this includes Private Messages) to swap/sell/buy illegal software (or other illegal materials), to arrange swapping, or to solicit advice to circumvent copyright protection. No linking to "underground" or "pirate" sites to get copyrighted materials, or asking for said sites. This includes FTP servers, websites, and the like. Soliciting invites to said sites is not permitted. Discussion of widely-known, established file sharing services or websites (Digital Archive Project) is acceptable.
9) Disruption of Services: Autoplay embedded videos, scrollbombs or posts designed to cause thread or computer problems may result in a permanent ban and notification to your ISP.
10) Off-Topic Posting: Posts are to be on the topic of the board description where they're posted. Off Topic posts may be moved or closed at the moderators discretion. We do not allow homework threads. All political discussion is to be done on the Political Discussion Forum.
11) Misleading Titles: On the Hockey Boards, the subject line of the post should be as informative as possible about the content of the post. This also reduces duplicate posts.
12) Duplicate Posts: Check the first 2 pages of the board before posting and make sure someone has not already done a post similar to yours. Pages can be accessed at the immediate bottom right on the board. Duplicate or similar threads are subject to being merged or closed at the discretion of the moderator.
13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.
14) Claiming to be a public figure: If you are one and wish to post as such, please contact an administrator for verification.
15) Outlandish claims of inside information: This is subjective and will be at the discretion of the moderator after consulting with other posters and other administrators. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post.
16) Playing the Role of Moderator: You're not a moderator so don't correct posters as if you were a moderator. If a thread or post violates the rules, use the "Report This Post" button rather than playing the parent. Editorial comments on the value of a thread or post, such as "useless thread", "in before the lock", "this thread should be closed", etc., are not welcome. This also may be considered spam, as it adds nothing to the discussion, and furthermore as thread hijacking and taking the thread off topic. If you don't like a thread and it doesn't break any rules don't reply to it! More often than not, that causes more problems than it fixes. Let us handle what is ours to handle. If you're interested in becoming a moderator you can send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
17) Moderator Abuse (Attacking/Disobeying the moderators): If you disagree with something the moderators did, fine, disagree and let us know, but do it politely through PM or email ONLY. Complaining on the forums is not permitted. If your thread or post was moved/closed/removed there was a good reason for it. Do not start a new one. Attacking or flaming a moderator via PM is subject to a Moderator Abuse infraction. Be respectful and considerate. Profanity and abusive conduct isn't tolerated.
Do not plead the first amendment and cite your right to free speech. It does not apply to the private sector. This is a privately owned website. Dancing around the rules, purposely skirting them just to see us twitch will not help you out much, either.
Do not post on behalf of someone who's banned. That will get you banned as well. The idea of being banned is that the banned member no longer is a part of this online community and is not allowed to interact here. No making threads that give glory to banned people. It's not a violation to mention the them in passing but no threads that focus on them. ("Ah, Troll du Jour, I miss him so!" or "Hey, it's Troll du Jour's birthday!"). Prohibited threads include "What banned member do you miss/would you bring back?" type of threads. If a moderator gives you a specific instruction in a warning, and you blatantly disregard it, you are subject to being banned.
18) Discussion of illegal drugs should be kept within academic or newsworthy limits only. "How to" discussions and "I'm so stoned" posts may result in repercussions ranging from a warning to immediate and permanent banning, depending on previous history, context of post and nature/content of post. Promotion of anything illegal is strictly prohibited.
19) Forum Specific Rules: Please check the sticky threads at the top of each forum for any forum specific rules. Make sure you read the Lounge Manifesto, and posting requirements for the Trade Rumors forum. For all forums, you may reply to a partial quote, but quotes by other members are not to be edited in an attempt to alter the original meaning.
20) One Account per User: multiple accounts are not permitted. If you have a good reason for needing more than one account, contact an administrator and ask for permission. Circumvention of a temporary ban by use of another account will result in a permanent ban. Circumvention of any moderator action by use of more than one account will result in a minimum 30 day ban. While it's perfectly acceptable for multiple users to have an account on the same computer, be advised that misconduct by one will affect all. You are accountable for actions originating from your computer regardless of whether it's a friend or relative.
21) Rules of conduct apply to posting on the forums, social groups, blogs, and ALL profile fields of your user account, including, but not limited to user name, user title, web page, avatar, signature, and location.
To report a post that violates the rules click on the report bad post icon within the post and give a brief description of the rule being broken. The icon is located in the user information field of each post. It's triangular in shape with a red border, and exclamation mark in middle. DO NOT PM, email, or post in the forums to report offensive posts. Usage of the Report Bad Post feature is the only means of reporting posts that violate our rules. All reports are kept confidential. You will not be contacted regarding your report. Whatever action is taken, if any, will remain confidential.
There are 10 predefined infractions that expire in 30 days and 3 Levels of punishment that incrementally disable privileges. Warnings are the same as infractions but carry no point penalty.
Spam, Ads, Off Topic, Thread Hijacking (5) Warez (5) Flaming (5) Copyright Abuse (5) Trolling (5) Offensive (5) User Title, Avatar, Sig, Location (5) Libel (5) Disclosure of Private Information (5) Moderator Abuse (5) Ethnic/Racial/Gender Slurs (5) Misc. listed in Site Rules (5)
The following penalties are triggered by the point total in parentheses:
Level 1 (10 points) = the following are disabled: search, poll posting, avatar, attachments, email to a friend, profile editing, invisibility, signature, username changes, vbookie privileges, and post editing. The PM quota is reduced to 10
Level 2 (15 points) = Level 1 + complete loss of PM + ability to start new threads.
Banned (20 points)
Privileges are incrementally restored as points expire. New members registered 90 days or less who reach Level 3 status are considered 'busts' and are automatically permanently banned.
The "Misc. listed in Site Rules" warning/infraction may be issued for any violation that is contained in our rules but isn't defined in the points system.
Severe offenses may be issued a 20 point, 30 day autoban, subject to review by an administrator. Chronic or egregious offenders are subject to a permanent ban. Permanent means forever. Requests for reinstatement will be ignored.
If you have a question about a warning or infraction contact the moderator who issued it by PM or email. Complaints about moderator abuse should be sent to email@example.com
If you're interested in becoming a moderator send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. No experience is required, but you must be a member for a minimum of six months. Simply state your interest, why you want to be a moderator, and which forum(s) you're interested in moderating. The length of time you've been a member, post quality and frequency, history of warnings/infractions, and recommendations from other moderators are taken into consideration.
Emails that do not include your username and registration email address will be ignored. If you are not writing from your registration email address, please be sure to include it in the body of your message.