HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Realignment Offical. 16 Teams East, 14 West. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1370199)

Pilky01 02-23-2013 09:25 PM

Proposed new 'conference'
 
On the hot stove tonight Freidman outlined the new NHL realignment proposal. Big news for us is DETROIT IS BACK!! That is a fourth road trip destination for Leaf nation!

Detroit
Toronto
Buffalo
Ottawa
Montreal
Boston
Florida
Tampa Bay

What a beautiful division.

And he also mentioned a wild card format for a cross over between the 8 and 7 conferences.

There are three other conferences, but lets be real, this is clearly the most important one and only solidifies our claim to being the centre of the hockey universe.

Dirty Dan 02-23-2013 09:28 PM

Can't get over the uneven divisions. Not quite as bad as MLB with their 6 and 4 team division (wut?)

As long as its fair for everyone

Igy 02-23-2013 09:31 PM

Allows Florida to relocate to either QC or Markham as well.

TheKule 02-23-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Igy (Post 60342179)
Allows Florida to relocate to either QC or Markham as well.

Think how many more sellouts they'll get seeing the NE teams 6 times a year. Their owners must be ecstatic about this proposal.

Garbs 02-23-2013 09:34 PM

Welcome back to relevance, Detroit.

King Mapes 02-23-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Dan (Post 60341697)
Can't get over the uneven divisions. Not quite as bad as MLB with their 6 and 4 team division (wut?)

As long as its fair for everyone

MLB had a reason for it, but as of now, all divisions have 5

TML23 02-23-2013 09:56 PM

I will be very excited if Detroit comes to our division. Great news as a leaf fan!

Canadiens Ghost 02-23-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilky01 (Post 60341357)
Detroit
Toronto
Buffalo
Ottawa
Montreal
Boston
Florida
Tampa Bay

What a beautiful division.

Habs fan coming in peace...

No kidding, 4 of the original 6 teams together :amazed:
This would easily be the most storied/prestigious conference in the league (I think we can all agree on that LOL).

Doug Gilmour 02-23-2013 10:19 PM

Welcome home Detroit.

How would the divisions look after Detroit moves back the East and Winnipeg to the West? Split the East and West conferences into 2 divisions instead of 3?

Grant 02-23-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilky01 (Post 60341357)
On the hot stove tonight Freidman outlined the new NHL realignment proposal. Big news for us is DETROIT IS BACK!! That is a fourth road trip destination for Leaf nation!

Detroit
Toronto
Buffalo
Ottawa
Montreal
Boston
Florida
Tampa Bay

What a beautiful division.

And he also mentioned a wild card format for a cross over between the 8 and 7 conferences.

There are three other conferences, but lets be real, this is clearly the most important one and only solidifies our claim to being the centre of the hockey universe.

He didn't really say but I kind of got the idea that it would be a wild card game like the MLB has (within a conference), not a crossover thing like the CFL which is what I think you are talking about.

cup67 02-23-2013 11:11 PM

Group of death

Avec Fromage* 02-23-2013 11:15 PM

This would make it much more difficult to make the playoffs. Boston and Detroit are pretty much locks. Then comes Tampa Bay. Montreal seems to make it regardless of their team makeup. Ottawa with a full lineup is a good team as well. Buffalo is having a rough year, but they have always challenged for a spot (successfully, usually). Going to be tight.

Also worth noting, if the Leafs made it in the #3 or #4 spot, they would have a very tough match-up. And how fun can it be watching very similar match-ups every year?

Boston
Detroit

Tampa Bay

Montreal

Ottawa/Toronto/Buffalo



Florida

Shimso 02-23-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Dan (Post 60341697)
Can't get over the uneven divisions. Not quite as bad as MLB with their 6 and 4 team division (wut?)

As long as its fair for everyone

That's fixed this year.

What's really messed up is the difference in quality of the divisions....the AL East is a million times tougher than the AL Central....Detroit gets to beat up on a division where not a single team might have a winning record while the AL East has 4-5 teams considered at least wild-card contenders.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiens Ghost (Post 60348281)
Habs fan coming in peace...

No kidding, 4 of the original 6 teams together :amazed:
This would easily be the most storied/prestigious conference in the league (I think we can all agree on that LOL).

Better yet, have an entire conference with all original 6 teams. It would be awesome to watch (although it'll almost certainly not happen)

Phelan 02-23-2013 11:31 PM

I'd drop Tampa and bring Columbus over.

Egoclapper 02-23-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Dan (Post 60341697)
Can't get over the uneven divisions. Not quite as bad as MLB with their 6 and 4 team division (wut?)

As long as its fair for everyone

I didn't like the uneven divisions when the proposal was to the put the Leafs in the 7 team one.

Maybe they should balance the schedule more make traveling more league wide. Put the Jets in the Northwest, Avs in the Pacific and Stars in the Southeast. Then maybe 8 games x 4 teams in your division, 2 games x everyone else. More travel, but more fairness.

saffronleaf 02-24-2013 12:03 AM

Drop Tampa and Florida, bring Columbus and Pittsburgh.

Yes, yes, oh no you're separating the Pennsylvania teams... but you're keeping a whole lot of other rivalries intact. Plus, other rivalries are broken up, like Chicago and Detroit. Moreover, there are 16 ETZ teams and they can all be in two conferences.

Grant 02-24-2013 12:09 AM

Just my speculation but I think Tampa and Florida are in the division they are because they aren't exactly in good hockey markets but with the Leafs and Habs playing there more often it will boost their revenues.

Dirty Dan 02-24-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saffronleaf (Post 60355821)
Drop Tampa and Florida, bring Columbus and Pittsburgh.

Yes, yes, oh no you're separating the Pennsylvania teams... but you're keeping a whole lot of other rivalries intact. Plus, other rivalries are broken up, like Chicago and Detroit. Moreover, there are 16 ETZ teams and they can all be in two conferences.

I think its more about balancing the hockey markets, smaller markets like florida and tampa to an extent could really benefit from a relevant division. Think about Northeast vs Southeast, one division has all bigger markets and one has all smaller markets (before winnipeg came in)

Mike1 02-24-2013 12:21 AM

I think this re-alignment is awful. I hope the players have the common sense to reject this proposal as well. There is nothing really wrong with the way things are & all this is being done so owners can put more travel money in their pockets.

Give me the two conferences, with the best 8 teams getting in the playoffs any day of the week.

saffronleaf 02-24-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Dan (Post 60356205)
I think its more about balancing the hockey markets, smaller markets like florida and tampa to an extent could really benefit from a relevant division. Think about Northeast vs Southeast, one division has all bigger markets and one has all smaller markets (before winnipeg came in)

I agree. But if they weren't with this conference, they'd be in a conference with NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI, WSH, and CAR... there's geographic continuity along the Atlantic, and they're clubbed together with one of the best divisions in the NHL (ATL div.).

hockeywiz542 02-24-2013 12:28 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...alignment.html

Quote:

The current NHL structure may be getting a major facelift.

According to Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman, some changes have been made to the NHL’s proposed realignment system.

Friedman joined the Hotstove Tonight panel on Saturday night, and said that the revamped realignment proposal was presented to all the individual teams this past week, while the players have yet to get a look at it.

In order for it to go through, both the NHL Board of Governors and National Hockey League Players’ Association have to approve it.

Last year’s proposed realignment — that was blocked by the NHLPA — included four different conferences, with eight teams per in the West and seven in the East. That would be opposed to the current six-division, two-conference system for the 30 NHL teams.

Eastern proposal

Conference 1

Carolina

Columbus

New Jersey

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

Conference 2

Boston

Buffalo

Detroit

Florida

Montreal

Ottawa

Tampa Bay

Toronto

However, Friedman says the most intriguing alterations to the new format may involve two clubs, in particular.

“There have been changes [to the proposal],” said Friedman. “And the most interesting ones are to help satisfy Columbus and Detroit, who wanted to move into the Eastern time zones. All 16 of the Eastern teams are going to be in two separate conferences.”

Should the Blue Jackets and Red Wings shift from the West to the East, they would likely benefit from a more manageable travel schedule.

It also means the East would now have two eight-team conferences, while the West will have two seven-squad conferences.

Badger Mayhew* 02-24-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avec Fromage (Post 60353141)
This would make it much more difficult to make the playoffs. Boston and Detroit are pretty much locks. Then comes Tampa Bay. Montreal seems to make it regardless of their team makeup. Ottawa with a full lineup is a good team as well. Buffalo is having a rough year, but they have always challenged for a spot (successfully, usually). Going to be tight.

Also worth noting, if the Leafs made it in the #3 or #4 spot, they would have a very tough match-up. And how fun can it be watching very similar match-ups every year?

Boston
Detroit

Tampa Bay

Montreal

Ottawa/Toronto/Buffalo



Florida

Detroit certainly isn't a lock to make the playoffs this year. You're also overrating Tampa.

Sergei Berezin 02-24-2013 01:02 AM

That's terrible, if you ask me... leave it at 15 and 15.

16 vs. 14 teams is more than just odd.

p.l.f. 02-24-2013 01:03 AM

where does toronto's 2nd team fit in?

Tak7 02-24-2013 01:42 AM

I'm not to thrilled about the conferences, but I would love the divisional playoffs. They would be amazing to watch; even if you aren't invested in them some of the matchups would be just too good to not watch.

On the Leafs - from purely selfish reasons you have to look at re-alignment and figure out whether it's good or bad for the Leafs.

For that, it's hard to say whether it is or not. Other than Boston, we haven't fared particularly good or bad against any of our division rivals so far, and we are getting a poor Florida team to play multiple times a year too. Not the worst thing to happen.

The idea of Detroit is cool too - great franchise, very well run, but in a massive transition right now. Who knows where they go over the next few years.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.