HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Weekes signs with the Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=100013)

Evil Sather 08-26-2004 11:12 AM

Weekes signs with the Rangers
 
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=96373

I think it's a great signing. Dunham is gone after this year, and has been inconsistant at best. Lundqvist is still in Europe, Montoya still in the NCAA, Blackburn won't get untracked until early November, and what happens if Labarbera comes back to earth and gets shelled? Very, very good signing for the Rangers to bridge the present to the future, as Weeks is only 29.

Shoalzie 08-26-2004 11:49 AM

Gotta like the Rangers' depth in net with drafting Montoya and signing Weekes. He quietly posted solid numbers last year...2.33 GAA / .912 SV% / 6 SHO. The Rangers aren't any closer to the playoffs with him in net but they are probably turning the corner.

guitaraholic* 08-26-2004 12:46 PM

given the goalies available the Rangers did okay with this acquisition. Weekes is solid and hopefully he can keep his wits aboot him when his team abandons all pretenses towards playing defense :shakehead (sorry, Rangers fans, it's true and you know it...) I like Weekes a lot and think he'll do well for the Rangers. He's certainly a better option than guys like Dafoe or Osgood (will he even find a job in the NHL?) and the rest of the junk floating around out there.

Kill 'Em All 08-26-2004 12:49 PM

i'm not surprised, this move makes sense for both sides.


what really has me spooked, though, is that bill "glen murray's signed with the maple leaf" watters was the one that broke the story... :amazed: ... he's finally got one right!

deathbear 08-26-2004 12:55 PM

sather takes a lot of heat on these boards, but since march he's done some really good work. it just took him a VERY long time to get it figured out...

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-26-2004 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathbear
sather takes a lot of heat on these boards, but since march he's done some really good work. it just took him a VERY long time to get it figured out...

My biggest problem is he never should have been allowed to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it. He should have been gone when it was torn down.

Son of Steinbrenner 08-26-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
My biggest problem is he never should have been allowed to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it. He should have been gone when it was torn down.

but he is doing a good job that can't be denied.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-26-2004 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
but he is doing a good job that can't be denied.

I'm not going into a good job / bad job discussion. What I will say is he is doing what he should have done four years ago.

I also can't say that a GM is doing a good job when his team has missed the playoffs four straight season (indeed his entire tenure).

Son of Steinbrenner 08-26-2004 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I'm not going into a good job / bad job discussion. What I will say is he is doing what he should have done four years ago.

4 years ago dolan wouldn't have allowed a rebuilding. since the trade deadline the guy has done an outstanding job. i know most rangers fans are to bitter to admit it but i'm not.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-26-2004 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
4 years ago dolan wouldn't have allowed a rebuilding. since the trade deadline the guy has done an outstanding job. i know most rangers fans are to bitter to admit it but i'm not.

A good GM does not let an owner who knows nothing about hockey tell him what to do. Especially not a GM so driven to win as Glen Sather. Hell, the man built one of the greatest dynastys in the history of the game. And he's gonna listen to Lil' Jimmy Dolan?

Son of Steinbrenner 08-26-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
A good GM does not let an owner who knows nothing about hockey tell him what to do. Especially not a GM so driven to win as Glen Sather. Hell, the man built one of the greatest dynastys in the history of the game. And he's gonna listen to Lil' Jimmy Dolan?

oh so he is supposed to not listen to his boss? :shakehead

Sathers main mistake was with his picks for coaches and it backfired. lets face reality since sather convinced dolan that rebuilding was nessacary he has done a good job and is finally the gm we all thought we were getting.

Gwyddbwyll 08-26-2004 02:12 PM

Great news.. finally people will stop saying the Coyotes should get Weekes. :handclap:

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-26-2004 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
oh so he is supposed to not listen to his boss? :shakehead

Sathers main mistake was with his picks for coaches and it backfired. lets face reality since sather convinced dolan that rebuilding was nessacary he has done a good job and is finally the gm we all thought we were getting.

If your job is to build a hockey club into a winner and stop what was then a three year playoff drought then yes, you do not listen to your boss. In fact you don't even take the job.

And I will not overlook three and half years of doing a lousy job in favor of four months of doing what he should have done in the first place.

Hordichuk_24 08-26-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevex
Great news.. finally people will stop saying the Coyotes should get Weekes. :handclap:

LOL!

My thoughts exactly. :lol

Puckhead 08-26-2004 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathbear
sather takes a lot of heat on these boards, but since march he's done some really good work. it just took him a VERY long time to get it figured out...

When you do everything wrong for so long, you're bound to start getting something right...It's a numbers game. I do think this is a great signing for the Rangers. Weekes is a fantastic goaltender and playing behind porous d men and floundering forwards is a good fit, since he is used to both. What I find surprising is that the free spending Maple Leafs didn't snap him up. It would have made a lot of sense to have Weekes in T.O. He is from the area, and the Leafs are in dire need of a quality backup who could step in if Belfour's back (which he just had surgery on) gives him trouble. Who are they gonna find to be a better fit? Tellqvist is not ready and now I here that Byron Dafoe is the guy they are looking at... What the? Why not just keep Kidd if all you're going to do is pick up Dafoe. What are these guys thinking? JFJ, give your head a shake!!!

Bure9* 08-26-2004 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Sather
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=96373

I think it's a great signing. Dunham is gone after this year, and has been inconsistant at best. Lundqvist is still in Europe, Montoya still in the NCAA, Blackburn won't get untracked until early November, and what happens if Labarbera comes back to earth and gets shelled? Very, very good signing for the Rangers to bridge the present to the future, as Weeks is only 29.

I got news for you. Weekes isn't any more consistent than Dunham. I doubt the Rangers just let Dunham walk after next year.

Puckhead 08-26-2004 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
If your job is to build a hockey club into a winner and stop what was then a three year playoff drought then yes, you do not listen to your boss. In fact you don't even take the job.

And I will not overlook three and half years of doing a lousy job in favor of four months of doing what he should have done in the first place.


I couldn't have said it better myself...Had he made these sound decisions three years ago, N.Y.R would not only be a playoff team but a team to be reckoned with. At this time they are a ways off of being considered either.

Marshall 08-26-2004 02:36 PM

Unfortunately, not listening to your boss is also a really good way to get fired.

Now, as to whether or not Sather should have taken the job, or done what his boss said instead of quitting, that's another discussion. But ignoring your boss while trying to keep your job is a dicey process, to put it mildly.

blitzkriegs 08-26-2004 03:34 PM

All the Sather babble aside, NYR are Weekes 6th NHL team. He plays for bottom dwellers and the NYR are really no different than his previous teams during their times of struggle.

Anyone got the salary?

Benji Frank 08-26-2004 03:37 PM

I don't think Slats did a lousy job in the 3 1/2 years prior to this rebuilding. He got alot of players for very little & managed to dump alot of salaries along the way. He just needed a Bowman or Burns type of coach who could figure out a way to put all those egos on the same page. Hiring rookies to coach was a poor decision. Hiring himself to coach when the last time he coached was before the all-mighty obsene dollar took over was also wrong as he was for all intents and purposes a rookie coach in the new era.

I think the owners made the right move giving him an opportunity to put together a team without checkbook in hand. I think he'll do ok.......

Bergeron47 08-26-2004 03:47 PM

Geez, it's shame he didnt land in Edmonton...

HughJass* 08-26-2004 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bure9
I got news for you. Weekes isn't any more consistent than Dunham. I doubt the Rangers just let Dunham walk after next year.

Proof?

NYR469 08-26-2004 10:24 PM

according to Newsday weekes got a 1 year deal...so both weekes and dunham are free agents at the end of the year...

NYRangers 08-26-2004 11:41 PM

who wants to complain? Its a 1 year deal wort 1.5 mil + incentives.

Nice move Glenn!

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-27-2004 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRangers
who wants to complain? Its a 1 year deal wort 1.5 mil + incentives.

Nice move Glenn!

A one year deal is an excellent move. It gives Sather and the Rangers a world of flexibility.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.