HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Rumor: Vokoun Not Starting (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1000431)

SufferingCatFan 10-08-2011 07:18 AM

Vokoun Not Starting

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...ap-in-the-fac/

According to the Washington Times, Vokoun will not start the home opener for the Capitals. Apparently, he is not injured, since his agent seems bent out of shape.

adam graves 10-08-2011 07:41 AM

By the same token, based on exhibition play,shouldnt we start Markstrom???

CatscratchFever 10-08-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam graves (Post 37616187)

You, sir, make a valid point.

Laus723 10-08-2011 08:02 AM

Don't really think this is a story, though. They play the Canes tonight, then they have the Lightning and Pens. Not a big deal if he doesn't play the opener and is better rested for the next two games.

Didn't see how he did in the pre-season, though.

Blad Meaning Gud 10-08-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam graves (Post 37616187)

Difference is, Neuvirth has been an NHL proven goalie over the past year... Even thought I really want Markstrom to play too.. Kinda hoping for a 7-6 win and let Markie play next game

FlaPnthrsPunk 10-08-2011 10:02 AM

I was pretty surprised when I read this yesterday, although it's not like Vokoun won't get plenty of other starts. You would just think, it's Opening Night and the starter would start. Yes, the difference between Markstrom and Neuvirth is that he has had experience starting. I don't know how safe I'd feel with Markstrom in net tonight, but am hoping to see him get some starts in over the next few weeks.

RCGP 10-08-2011 01:57 PM

Probably because Vokoun is the 3rd best goalie in the organisation.

CatscratchFever 10-08-2011 02:24 PM

The best part is, it's not our problem to worry about!

Rattrick 10-08-2011 03:04 PM

...And you wonder why the Caps haven't found the holy grail. :shakehead

KWGoon 10-08-2011 04:13 PM

Maybe Vokoun now realizes that dissing Tallon wasn't a great career move.

Cappy76 10-08-2011 04:19 PM

I think the big issue is that BB doesnt have a clue when it comes down to player management. This wouldnt be an issue had he sat down with TVo and let him know the plan. My thoughts with this is that Bruce is giving Neuvy the nod tonight because of his outstanding play in the preseason and on top of that the next 2 games are Tampa and Pitt. So if you sit Neuvy tonight he doesnt get a start until 2 weeks into the season. It makes sense it was just handled wrong IMO by Bruce.

King Panther 10-08-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatscratchFever (Post 37628639)
The best part is, it's not our problem to worry about!

seriously :handclap:

JP Mick 10-08-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCGP (Post 37627197)
Probably because Vokoun is the 3rd best goalie in the organisation.

:huh:

jol 10-08-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWGoon (Post 37634007)
Maybe Vokoun now realizes that dissing Tallon wasn't a great career move.

Then it would be Panthers' problem?

JOL

harv3317 10-10-2011 05:44 AM

can't say i'm not happy about this. first game and already vokuon and his as---- agent causing problems. good ridance!!!!!!

Click Here 10-10-2011 06:43 AM

Seriously, fellas? He's in the lineup tonight. It was a strategical move. Surprised at the bitterness towards a guy who put your team on his back for so many years and excelled doing it.

No doubt you'll be happy when he's resting on Saturday after playing tonight and Thursday. You know you'll have a better shot without him in net for the Caps.

Laus723 10-10-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovin Ovenchicken (Post 37714643)
Seriously, fellas? He's in the lineup tonight. It was a strategical move. Surprised at the bitterness towards a guy who put your team on his back for so many years and excelled doing it.

No doubt you'll be happy when he's resting on Saturday after playing tonight and Thursday. You know you'll have a better shot without him in net for the Caps.

Not everyone is bitter. Vokoun will give you some very strong games, but he will also let in some head shaking weakies. Some posters tend to key in on those moments.

adam graves 10-10-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovin Ovenchicken (Post 37714643)

The great majority of fans enjoyed Vokoun and recognize he was a top 5 goalie for us. Aside from that an extremely classy guy.

What surprised us is signing him as the #1 goalie, him flying his family in to watch, and then day of the coach telling him hes not starting.

Poor management IMHO.

FlaPnthrsPunk 10-10-2011 12:02 PM

I have absolutely no bitterness towards Vokoun at all. He's still one of my favorite all-time players and I really enjoyed having a player like him on my team. Most of the time, he'll play spectacular and keep you in games single-handedly. Other times, he'll be off his game and let in some weak goals. He'll always admit when he's had a bad performance and will blame himself when the team isn't winning, even when it's not his fault. It's a shame that he didn't re-sign in Florida for another season, but I am glad to see him sign somewhere with the chance to win a Cup.

Panthers are Red 10-10-2011 04:49 PM

I wonder if he watched our opening game this year thinking he had made the wrong decision.

Rattrick 10-10-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthers are Red (Post 37737845)
I wonder if he watched our opening game this year thinking he had made the wrong decision.

You do realize he's playing on the Caps right? We don't exactly have a better chance of winning the cup then they do..

adam graves 10-10-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattrick (Post 37738407)
You do realize he's playing on the Caps right? We don't exactly have a better chance of winning the cup then they do..

Probably, but with Vokoun between the pipes i wouldn't rule this team out of a deep run.

Panthers are Red 10-10-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattrick (Post 37738407)

I was more meaning because he is being paid less than we offered him and because he was feeling disrespected for not getting to start the opening home match.

Coolburn 10-10-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam graves (Post 37738913)
Probably, but with Vokoun between the pipes i wouldn't rule this team out of a deep run.

Yup agreed if we can keep up the effort and production we saw the other night. We may not have the high end skill that the Caps have but the Predators have shown that a team game can sometimes beat out skill.

Watching some of tonight's game on VS, seems that the Caps aren't playing all that much team defense in front of Vokoun either so I wouldn't rule out them being eliminated from the playoffs quickly again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthers are Red (Post 37740181)
I was more meaning because he is being paid less than we offered him and because he was feeling disrespected for not getting to start the opening home match.

Not to mention we offered him a 2 yr deal IIRC which would've given him more stability for his family as well. And he was guaranteed to be the starter here at least 1.5 of those yrs since Tallon was saying all along that he was going to bring Markstrom along slowly.

Great8Cam 10-10-2011 08:28 PM

After tonight they might say "So what if Vokie has to pass through waivers, nobody will take him if they saw him play tonight against the Ning."