HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Two trades that might put us over the top...... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1000815)

Capn Brown 10-08-2011 06:18 PM

Two trades that might put us over the top......

TRADE #1

To WILD: LW Dustin Penner($4.25m), D Rob Scuderi($3.4m)

To KINGS: RW Cal Clutterbuck($1.4m), D Greg Zanon($1.93m)

NOTE: While this trade is primarily a cap-clearing maneuver, please remember the moves Minnesota made at the last draft, evidently to "generate scoring". I.e., they might be all over Penner. We'd probably have to wait for Penner to get on a good offensive roll, however.

TRADE #2

To DEVILS: G Jonathan Bernier*($1.25m), D Slava Voynov($0.816m), 1st round pick in 2012, +? (should more be added?)

To KINGS: LW Zack Parise($6m)

NOTE: I would not initiate TRADE #1 unless TRADE #2 was a guarantee. Also, in two years, both Quick & Bernier will be due raises. At the rate our cap space is being consumed, only one of those goalies is getting a raise, meaning the other will almost certainly be dealt.

*Recall Martin Jones($0.525m)

Parise / Kopitar / Williams
Gagne / Richards / Brown
Clifford / Stoll / Clutterbuck
Richardson / Lewis / Moreau
Hunter, Westgarth

Mitchell / Doughty
Zanon / Johnson
Martinez / Greene
Drewiske

Quick
Jones

According to my calculations, these deals would leave us with approximately $1.4m in cap space. Discuss....

Muzzinga 10-08-2011 06:30 PM

or you could wait until deadline so parise's cap is pro-rated. That way you can keep Penner and Scuderi

Nex06 10-08-2011 06:54 PM

Parise hired Meehan not even a year ago. You just KNOW he is going to test the FA market. I wouldn't give that much just to have him locked for less than one season. If he signs an extension, that is a completely different story.

Face Wash 10-08-2011 07:29 PM

Overpayment on both deals...please. the kings don't need to make a deal 2 games into the season.

LAX attack* 10-08-2011 07:34 PM

that first deal is particularily not going to helop the kinsgs

Nex06 10-08-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doughtybetterbemoney (Post 37639757)
that first deal is particularily not going to helop the kinsgs

Just imagine if both went through and Parise broke his leg in March... and then walked in the summer. I can't think of a way how could have Lombardi survived that. And I mean both, as a GM and literally, with Kings fans driving around in their SUVs looking for him.

Quattro 10-08-2011 07:53 PM

really? 2 days into the season?

kingsfan 10-08-2011 11:16 PM

Both deals I'd pass on. Parise simply because Bernier is in it and Parise is likely to at least test the market. We'd give up the guy who could, possibly, be our number one goalie as early as this season for a rental. Doesn't make sense to me.

As for the Penner deal, as much as I don't like Penner, we need goalscoring wingers and that is about the only week point on the team. This deal would make that weaker. Who scores goals for us if we deal Penner? Williams, Gagne and Brown? The first two are very questionable to even stay health for 70 games, why thin out our wing depth even more?

The Kings will sit pat until the trade deadline (unless an injury occurs). At the deadline they'll likely add some goalscoring depth with the level of trade likely dependent on the performance and health of Gagne, Penner and Williams. Frankly, I see us making a deal for a guy like what Boston did a few years back to get Mark Recchi. Some reasonable veteran offensive depth on the wing for a 2nd or so. Though we could make a deal for an elite guy at the deadline as well, if one is avialble for the right price.

Nex06 10-08-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 37662417)
As for the Penner deal, as much as I don't like Penner, we need goalscoring wingers and that is about the only week point on the team. This deal would make that weaker. Who scores goals for us if we deal Penner? Williams, Gagne and Brown? The first two are very questionable to even stay health for 70 games, why thin out our wing depth even more?

Zach Parise COULD score a goal or two...

kingsfan 10-08-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nex06 (Post 37662563)
Zach Parise COULD score a goal or two...

Read the first part of my post.

He'll also, in all likelihood, bolt as a UFA after the season, and would cost us a very good goaltender to acquire, as I said in the part of the post you failed to quote. I'd have passed on the Parise deal in the first place, making his contributions to our line up mute.

Nex06 10-08-2011 11:39 PM

Why don't you read that original post better before accusing me of bad reading? The deals are both or nothing. Obviously nobody is stupid enough just to deal Penner and Scuderi for those two...

The Black1963 10-08-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quattro (Post 37641375)

Agreed.

What took him so long? :)

The Black1963 10-08-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nex06 (Post 37663819)
Why don't you read that original post better before accusing me of bad reading? The deals are both or nothing. Obviously nobody is stupid enough just to deal Penner and Scuderi for those two...

Bad reader, bad reader!

Rorschach 10-09-2011 12:22 AM

I agree he's going to try UFA. Still, I wouldn't mind a headstart in negotiations and getting him as a rental. I wouldn't part with Bernier in the rental situation though...maybe a prospect in the 4-7 rank in our system and a mid-level pick.

- R

Fishhead 10-09-2011 01:12 AM

I only want Parise as an UFA.

There is no edge to trading for a Meehan client. He's gonna test the market. It's going to take a top prospect and a first to get him as a rental, minimum. I would bet a team that was desperate to make the playoffs would offer a roster player in addition.

Rusty Batch 10-09-2011 06:40 PM

The only trade I would be interested in making would be trading a d man or Stoll for a winger.

With as much Defensive talent as we have in our prospect pool, I think it makes a lot of sense to trade one or maybe even 2 of our higher priced veterans to make room for a cheaper young D-man and to use the money saved on a wing upgrade.

I think the guy that makes the most sense for us to trade right now is Jack Johnson (however him showing loyalty to the kings and generally having a very positive attitude with our organization makes this highly unlikely). We could probably get a really talented winger back for him and I think he would be pretty easily replaced by Voynov or Hickey (obviously they probably wont put up 40+ points right away but I think they might be similarily effective when cap hit is factored in).

Live in the Now 10-09-2011 08:00 PM

I think Clutterbuck's going to be one of those guys that stays with one team for nearly his whole career.

kingsfan 10-10-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nex06 (Post 37663819)

:laugh: If I misread then why did you post about what Parise could do?

Frankly I don't care, and I don't care if the deals are together or not. I don't do either one. Period. They both don't work. I don't want to do either. Clear? :help:

kingsfan 10-10-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorschach (Post 37666833)
I agree he's going to try UFA. Still, I wouldn't mind a headstart in negotiations and getting him as a rental. I wouldn't part with Bernier in the rental situation though...maybe a prospect in the 4-7 rank in our system and a mid-level pick.

- R

I'd do the same as what NJ gave to get Kovlachuk or the Hossa deal from Atl to Pittsburgh at the deadline; a decent prospect, a depth roster player and another pick/prospect. So our first, a guy like Richardson/Lewis/Hunter/Moreau, a prospect like Muzzin/Zatkoff/Kozun and say a 3rd.

A 1st, 3rd, Kozun and Richardson for Parise? :dunno:

Nex06 10-10-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 37749933)
:laugh: If I misread then why did you post about what Parise could do?

Frankly I don't care, and I don't care if the deals are together or not. I don't do either one. Period. They both don't work. I don't want to do either. Clear? :help:

Don't worry, everything is clear to ME, because I try to read posts in their entirety before replying. If I'd missed something like you have, I would have simply admitted and there would be no further discussion. Try it. :)

fuzzerson 10-10-2011 10:27 PM

:laugh:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quattro (Post 37641375)

The season is over face it, it is time to look forward to the 2012 draft. :sarcasm:

Whiskeypete 10-10-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Batch (Post 37695013)
The only trade I would be interested in making would be trading a d man or Stoll for a winger.

With as much Defensive talent as we have in our prospect pool, I think it makes a lot of sense to trade one or maybe even 2 of our higher priced veterans to make room for a cheaper young D-man and to use the money saved on a wing upgrade.

I think the guy that makes the most sense for us to trade right now is Jack Johnson (however him showing loyalty to the kings and generally having a very positive attitude with our organization makes this highly unlikely). We could probably get a really talented winger back for him and I think he would be pretty easily replaced by Voynov or Hickey (obviously they probably wont put up 40+ points right away but I think they might be similarily effective when cap hit is factored in).

these make more sense than the OP. trading either Stoll, JJ or say AMart though...here is my take on it. DL assembled this roster 'as is' to push past the first round without question this season. personally i think if they dont make the WC finals it's going to be considered a lost season.

trading away Stoll then means they would then likely bump Lewis to #3 and call up Lokti. perhaps the other way around, who knows with TMu's constant juggling. the loss of Stoll to a trade means they lose a good vet that can be a good shutdown, great faceoff man and can score at times (as long as he isn't blasting away slappers high and wide).

trading away JJ makes sense because they have similar prospects that will move into this type of role. AMart is the first player that could fill this role. so far after two games he appears more physical, sure of himself than last year. trading away JJ though after he made his deal with DL though is what DOESNT make sense. trading him away would have some ripple effects within, especially after all of DL's statements of 'team', 'core', etc. trading him away would have a negative impact on the culture DL has built and will continue to preach. on the flip side trading JJ, would net DL a great return.

that leaves AMart. as i said he can easily step into many rosters as a #2-#6 spot as a PMD. he seems more physical so far and this will likely continue. most players as they gain experience feel more comfortable about physical play and not getting caught out of position. it wouldn't surprise me if he also bulked up a bit this summer, combined with experience the kid is going to keep getting better.

LA is loaded with D prospects for DL to dangle. a good, rising, 1-year vet in AMart. an AHL all-star in VV. a 1st rounder starting to put it together after injury in Hickey.....Forbort, etc.

if any move is made my guess is AMart, VV, Hickey or Forbort. personally i think teams will have interest in Forbort before Hickey at this point. moving AMart would give a team someone that can instantly start and shows very good promise/potenial. package him with a 2nd rounder, or 2 3rd rounders and i think DL could net himself a solid forward to supplement the scoring.

BUT at this point I say don't do a damn thing. it's only 2 games into the season

kingsfan 10-11-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nex06 (Post 37751561)
Don't worry, everything is clear to ME, because I try to read posts in their entirety before replying. If I'd missed something like you have, I would have simply admitted and there would be no further discussion. Try it. :)

Clearly. I mean the only reason we are bantering back and forth is to discuss your utter brilliance in comprehension. :shakehead

I'm done with you now. Adios.

FrozenKing18 10-11-2011 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live in the Now (Post 37699901)
I think Clutterbuck's going to be one of those guys that stays with one team for nearly his whole career.

I thought Simmonds was one of those players too. :(

Albi 10-11-2011 07:35 AM

Fail