HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Yotes building a heck of a team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=100104)

jstreet 08-26-2004 04:54 PM

Yotes building a heck of a team

Hull-Comrie-Doan
Nagy-Nedved-Johnson
Saprykin-Ricci-Sjostrom
Taffe-Rupp-Kolanos
Cleary-Westrum-Nash
Chimera-Deveraux-Westrum

Morris-Mara
Tanabe-O'Donnell
Hulse-Gauthier
Ference-Spiller
Ballard

whats going on here?! looks like this will be quite a different story from last season.

Jovavic 08-26-2004 05:54 PM

You forgot to post their goalies, which is their big weakness. Boucher and Johnson are on the bottom rung of NHL "starting" goalies and LeNeveu is unproven at this point. Unless they trade or sign a goalie, I doubt they make the playoffs.

Hejduk 08-26-2004 06:21 PM

Do they even have a coach yet?

jstreet 08-26-2004 06:59 PM

with the way they are throwing the money around, there is probably a goalie coming as well. But yes, you have a good point there.

SmokeyClause 08-26-2004 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars
whats going on here?! looks like this will be quite a different story from last season.

Throwing money at problems via free agency has shown to be a very ineffective solution. I expect the Coyotes to be better, but I don't expect them to be really good. How many new additions are they going to have? Almost every line and every D pairing save for the first is going to be revamped. It's the nintendo way of being a GM. But how many teams has this style worked for? If they don't mesh together well (and past precedent tells you it probably won't), they'll still be average.

They'll definitely be a board favorite though.

jstreet 08-26-2004 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Throwing money at problems via free agency has shown to be a very ineffective solution. I expect the Coyotes to be better, but I don't expect them to be really good. How many new additions are they going to have? Almost every line and every D pairing save for the first is going to be revamped. It's the nintendo way of being a GM. But how many teams has this style worked for? If they don't mesh together well (and past precedent tells you it probably won't), they'll still be average.

They'll definitely be a board favorite though.

it will be amusiing to keep an eye on Hull. When he decides that he doesnt want to get along with people then watch out! All these new people in the system should be quite entertaining.

misfit 08-26-2004 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
You forgot to post their goalies, which is their big weakness. Boucher and Johnson are on the bottom rung of NHL "starting" goalies and LeNeveu is unproven at this point. Unless they trade or sign a goalie, I doubt they make the playoffs.

With they way things have been going, I would expect that to be addressed.

DudeCar 08-26-2004 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit
With they way things have been going, I would expect that to be addressed.

Yeah, looks like the Yotes are going to give the Flyers a bucket of pucks to regain their good buddy Burke.

DontCallPlayersStuds 08-26-2004 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DudeCar
Yeah, looks like the Yotes are going to give the Flyers a bucket of pucks to regain their good buddy Burke.

fine by us. we lit that guy up every time we saw him.

triggrman 08-27-2004 08:26 AM

How old is Burke now, 74, 75? New York Rangers and the Dallas Stars have tought us that having star players that don't fit your system doesn't produce champions. So will the Yotes be better? What system will they be playing? Can their defense overcome the Comrie and Hull, can their goalies overcome what their defense can't?

DontCallPlayersStuds 08-27-2004 08:30 AM

the coyotes got a lot worse in losing a fantastic two-way center in Daymond Langkow and gaining a soft, one-dimensional guy in Nedved. The Flames, on the other hand, are starting to look pretty scary, though it's dependent on if Kiprusoff doesn't come back down to earth, which it's my thought that he will.

Vic Rattlehead* 08-27-2004 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
the coyotes got a lot worse in losing a fantastic two-way center in Daymond Langkow and gaining a soft, one-dimensional guy in Nedved. The Flames, on the other hand, are starting to look pretty scary, though it's dependent on if Kiprusoff doesn't come back down to earth, which it's my thought that he will.

The coyotes needed Nedved more than Langkow in my opinion. Kolanos, if he can develop, cna be a two way centerman in the future. The Coyotes needed another pure offensive threat at centre, and they adressed that need.

Enoch 08-27-2004 12:43 PM

I like what Phoenix is done, but I do not think they will get anywhere without a quality coach or a mid-tier goaltender. The players they have added CAN make the team into a playoff contendor. Their blueline is pretty solid now, and their forwards were already decent with Nagy/Doan's emergence.....but this is on paper. Can they overcome the newness of the team and form chemistry? Time will tell....

triggrman 08-27-2004 01:29 PM

Being weak defensively up the middle doesn't balance out with their goalies.

Papadice 08-27-2004 01:37 PM

Obviously, as others have said, Phoenix won't go anywhere without getting help in nets... I fully agree with that... I was just browsing the goaltending scenarios around the league and came across the Buffalo situation...

Biron, Noronen, Miller... 3 young, very good goaltenders... My understanding is that there's no chance in hell of them moving Miller... But Biron or Noronen could be available... Buffalo's weak on the point right now, an area that Phoenix all of a sudden has some depth (Morris, Mara, Gauthier, Hulse, Tanabe, O'Donnell, Ference, Spiller, Ballard)... What are your thoughts on moving some defensive help to Buffalo in return for Biron or Noronen? Either would be an upgrade over Boucher and Johnson and they both have some upside and are young... There's always the Burke idea from Philly too, but I'd prefer to see the Yotes go with someone younger and less injury prone...

I just hope they don't cop out and go with a guy like Osgood or Snow...

Basher 08-27-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

Kiprusoff=Giguere

Bileur 08-27-2004 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher
Kiprusoff=Giguere

Basher=Right

Enoch 08-27-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgallant
Obviously, as others have said, Phoenix won't go anywhere without getting help in nets... I fully agree with that... I was just browsing the goaltending scenarios around the league and came across the Buffalo situation...

Biron, Noronen, Miller... 3 young, very good goaltenders... My understanding is that there's no chance in hell of them moving Miller... But Biron or Noronen could be available... Buffalo's weak on the point right now, an area that Phoenix all of a sudden has some depth (Morris, Mara, Gauthier, Hulse, Tanabe, O'Donnell, Ference, Spiller, Ballard)... What are your thoughts on moving some defensive help to Buffalo in return for Biron or Noronen? Either would be an upgrade over Boucher and Johnson and they both have some upside and are young... There's always the Burke idea from Philly too, but I'd prefer to see the Yotes go with someone younger and less injury prone...

I just hope they don't cop out and go with a guy like Osgood or Snow...

One would assume a Kolanos as well as other center prospects on the Yotes would be available in this type of trade as well. Shoot for Noranen.....cheaper, with upside. I like him better than Biron anyways, but I still think they are both mid-tier no. 1s.

triggrman 08-27-2004 03:15 PM

Anything is an upgrade over what they have now, hell even getting Dunham is better than what they have.

Hordichuk_24 08-27-2004 06:00 PM

Phoenix will be fine. Goaltending was not their biggest problem last season. Defense was. They have addressed those needs, starting last year at the deadline acquiring Derek Morris.

Add Morris (for a full season), a healthy David Tanabe, Sean O'Donnell, and now Denis Gauthier, that is much improved.

Keep in mind, this was a defense last season that had a kid make the jump from the WHL to the NHL in Matthew Spiller, and AHL veterans like Bryan Helmer, and Todd Reirden on their blueline last season.

Scary enough, until all the injuries last season Phoenix was in the hunt for a playoff spot. Put their defense of today on the ice and they are a playoff team without a doubt.

DontCallPlayersStuds 08-27-2004 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
Phoenix will be fine. Goaltending was not their biggest problem last season. Defense was. They have addressed those needs, starting last year at the deadline acquiring Derek Morris.

Add Morris (for a full season), a healthy David Tanabe, Sean O'Donnell, and now Denis Gauthier, that is much improved.

Keep in mind, this was a defense last season that had a kid make the jump from the WHL to the NHL in Matthew Spiller, and AHL veterans like Bryan Helmer, and Todd Reirden on their blueline last season.

Scary enough, until all the injuries last season Phoenix was in the hunt for a playoff spot. Put their defense of today on the ice and they are a playoff team without a doubt.

the coyotes were in the hunt after boucher had his five straight shutouts. when he collapsed...so did the team.

Hordichuk_24 08-27-2004 06:09 PM

Quote:

the coyotes were in the hunt after boucher had his five straight shutouts. when he collapsed...so did the team.

Not true.

The injuries are what ultimately killed them. Not enough chemistry and too many young guys playing on the big club. Guys like Spiller, Sjostrom, Westrum, Bezina, Stutzel, etc, shouldn't have even played on the team. Not to mention the guys like Reirden and Helmer.

Johnson went down with an injury early into the season, that was the first inital blow to the team. Tanabe was the next major blow, and of course the biggest was when Nagy was gone for the year.

There was no consistancy, and no chemistry. That is what cost the team from doing anything. Not Boucher and Johnson. No goaltender in the NHL would put up good numbers in front of that team. Especially that defense... :amazed:

jstreet 08-27-2004 08:01 PM

all that Defense talk and no mention of Hulse. What do people over there think of him after a full season?

Hordichuk_24 08-28-2004 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars
all that Defense talk and no mention of Hulse. What do people over there think of him after a full season?

It depends on the person you ask.

I watched Hulse a lot when he played for Calgary. So I already knew what he would bring to the Coyotes. A lot of people wanted him to replace Todd Simpson and be a "better version" of him. And from what he did last season, he certainly met expectations. And he surprised me to be honest. I remember saying how he isn't going to be much (or any) better than Simpson, etc. But he played extremely well...