HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Injuries and player sizes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1002837)

Windymind 10-11-2011 11:34 AM

Injuries and player sizes

CH seems to have injury problems since Jacques Martin is in position (I like Martin/Gauthier's work BTW).

Are injuries due to:
- Bad luck?
- Coach too demanding?
- Small players try to compensate size by too much effort?
- Lack of tough guy to protect?

Looking at some of the injuries, it's tough to find a real cause.

White - training
Markov - not due to rough play
Eller - not linked to lack of tough guy
Desharnais - not linked to lack of tough guy
Gorges - Old injury, not linked to lack of tough guy
Cammalleri - not due to rough play
Campoli - not due to rough play
Spacek - not intentional
Pacioretti - directly link to the absence of tough guy.

The Pacioretti event is the only one to me that is link to size of players or lack of tough guy. We can say though that with Pacioretti during the last playoffs, not sure Bruins would have made it.

Kingbobert 10-11-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windymind (Post 37769729)
CH seems to have injury problems since Jacques Martin is in position (I like Martin/Gauthier's work BTW).

Are injuries due to:
- Bad luck?
- Coach too demanding?
- Small players try to compensate size by too much effort?
- Lack of tough guy to protect?

Looking at some of the injuries, it's tough to find a real cause.

White - training
Markov - not due to rough play
Eller - not linked to lack of tough guy
Desharnais - not linked to lack of tough guy
Gorges - Old injury, not linked to lack of tough guy
Cammalleri - not due to rough play
Campoli - not due to rough play
Spacek - not intentional
Pacioretti - directly link to the absence of tough guy.

The Pacioretti event is the only one to me that is link to size of players or lack of tough guy. We can say though that with Pacioretti during the last playoffs, not sure Bruins would have made it.

what tough guy intimidates Chara enough to stop him from doing what he did?
I cant think of a single lack of tough guy related injury

In the last 3 seasons, most injuries have been due to coaching i think
During the season, Martin's system is so bad that players dont really know where to be so they're constantly over reaching, trying to block shots, or put in positions to get injured.

plus i believe some players just come into the camp in bad shape

Dr Gonzo 10-11-2011 11:44 AM

I'm not entirely convinced that having a "tough guy" on our roster would have stopped Chara from attempting to decapitate Pacioretty.

beowulf 10-11-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingbobert (Post 37770053)

During the season, Martin's system is so bad that players dont really know where to be so they're constantly over reaching, trying to block shots, or put in positions to get injured.

http://www.straight.com/files/images...LaraqueKFC.jpg

Young Gun 10-11-2011 11:49 AM

Talk about players in not so good shape, look at Ak and Emelin, both with a beer gut, bet they don't get injured this season

Kingbobert 10-11-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf (Post 37770259)

we tried that remember?
Big George was the only one in the league that was able to take chara down...there is noone in the league that can do that right now...

Maybe Parros can come close cause of his size and is a good fighter and can be useful on a 4th line, but you try prying him from the ducks

Monctonscout 10-11-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo (Post 37770111)
I'm not entirely convinced that having a "tough guy" on our roster would have stopped Chara from attempting to decapitate Pacioretty.

Boston has a "tough guy" and it doesn't stop Subban from trying to take Marchand's head off.

It also didn't stop Richards from nearly breaking Krejci in two...Jones from cheap shotting Bergeron, Cooke from ending Savard's career...Glass from almost taking Horton's head off...

Dumb argument but some don't seem to live in the real world and keep bringing it up.

Kingbobert 10-11-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Gun (Post 37770305)
Talk about players in not so good shape, look at Ak and Emelin, both with a beer gut, bet they don't get injured this season

beer gut means nothing compared to lower body injuries
Beer gut might affect your cardio so you might run our of gas quicker
players come in out of shape they get hamstring injuries, ankle sprains, "lower body injuries"

overlords 10-11-2011 11:55 AM

This will be merged if it continues into a toughness debate.

Kingbobert 10-11-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 37770579)
This will be merged if it continues into a toughness debate.

well there have been some other points made too just toughness has taken the center stage atm lol

Stradale 10-11-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

AK has a beer gut?

Theosis 10-11-2011 11:58 AM

I think we're just cursed.

Monctonscout 10-11-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

:laugh:

I'll have some of what you're smoking. I don't even think Byfuglien has a beer guy and he is the "fattest" NHLer.

Et le But 10-11-2011 12:02 PM

Nobody is going to intimidate Chara. If anything what he did was a reaction to the fact that the Habs get under his skin like few other teams do. Last year Subban, Pacioretty, Plekanec, even Kostitsyn managed to shake him up on multiple occasions.

But mostly, it comes down to bad luck.

Tuggy 10-11-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/images/biz...-kostitsyn.jpg

Nice beer gut.

Patccmoi 10-11-2011 12:04 PM

The whole 'having tough guy prevents dirty hits' just doesn't work. Look at Boston, they have tons of goonish players and they keep getting hit by concussions. People who do these kind of hits do not think about 'who on the other team could hit me', they just see the occasion, DON'T THINK, and hit. If a tough guy comes their way they just turtle or quickly fall on the ice and don't take any real damage, they just don't care.

We have been seriously unlucky with injuries. Stuff like Cammy's leg getting cut, Markov that got cut by Price's skate... it's freak injuries to key players that no size of player or tough guy or WHATEVER would prevent.

The only thing that I could give credibility to is saying that it is to some extent Martin's system, because when you play a very defensive game you tend to get hit more, have to block more shots, and as a whole just put yourself in more situations potentially causing injuries, so in the long run it can have an impact I think. But most injuries did not really happen in these situations either though.

But I really think that in the last years bad luck has been the biggest cause and there is not much you can do about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf (Post 37770259)

I wish I had photoshop on my computer here, I could have removed that bag of PFK, but a celery instead and wrote 'sadly, we got that guy...'.

Stradale 10-11-2011 12:04 PM

:laugh:

Yeah. If that's a beer gut on AK.

I guess Wellwood was 9 months old pregnant here.

http://headtothe.net/wp-content/gall.../wellwood1.jpg

neofury* 10-11-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

AK doesn't have a beer gut. If you walked up to him in real life you'd **** your pants. The guy is built, he's a naturally big guy but he most certainly does not have a beer gut.

Theosis 10-11-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 37770907)

You really think that's a beer gut? :amazed:

MathMan 10-11-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theosis (Post 37771961)
You really think that's a beer gut? :amazed:

Maybe in the sense that you can see his six-pack?

Hemlor 10-11-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingbobert (Post 37770053)

Why do you think it's the system? Can you provide evidence that they are put into positions to get injured? I don't really understand your correlation between the system and injuries.

andrew2 10-11-2011 01:42 PM

lets look at the injuries so far this year..

Campoli - fluke injury, pulled something while trying to make a defensive play, not system size or lack of toughness related

Cammalleri - Got cut by a teamates skate, fluke injury..

Spacek - took a routine hit into the boards but went in awkwardly, not system, size or toughness related.

I think injuries happen and we've just been unlucky, not only loosing multiple players but impact players aswell.

Windymind 10-12-2011 09:15 AM

Thank you all! Short thread are the best. They remain on topic and you can read all comments.

So, according to our group, the main reason is:
1. Bad luck
2. Jacques Martin's defensive system
3. Bad summer training

Tough guys don't really prevent injuries of others.
AK has a six pack.

RaMMuT 10-12-2011 09:24 AM

This gave me an Idea for an avatar...

AK's pic: He has a 6-pack...but can he fight??? :sarcasm:

PunkinDrublic* 10-12-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo (Post 37770111)

Chara and the band of idiots were pretty friggin quiet when Laraque was on the bench.