HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   All Purpose Silly Season Thread - 2011-2012 Season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1002989)

Majik1987 10-11-2011 02:40 PM

All Purpose Silly Season Thread - 2011-2012 Season

Here we go. All silly season / relocation discussion goes here.

pelts35.com 12-06-2011 08:27 AM

So, the AHL finally adopts a conference playoff system and the NHL goes to more of a divisional format.

HansH 12-06-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 40511389)
So, the AHL finally adopts a conference playoff system and the NHL goes to move of a divisional format.

Well, not quite. They're conferences, not divisions, so there is no more "Eastern Conference" and "Western Conference" above the four 7-8 team Conferences. The GMs are going to determine this Spring how to proceed in the playoffs once they're down to the four Conference champions -- they may totally re-seed, thus completely destroying the East/West split of the league. This is more radical than just switching back to "divisional" playoffs.

That said, the NHL has a slightly more stable geography to work with than the AHL does, so I foresee many more AHL realignments while the NHL sticks with this one for several years.

pelts35.com 12-06-2011 06:52 PM

I was more referring to the top 4 teams in each division or conference making the playoffs and playing each other in 2 "divisional" series coming up with a winner as opposed to the top 8 teams battling each other.

That said I am not a fan of what the NHL will be doing with configuration and playoff format.

SFTC Addict 12-07-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 40538213)
I was more referring to the top 4 teams in each division or conference making the playoffs and playing each other in 2 "divisional" series coming up with a winner as opposed to the top 8 teams battling each other.

That said I am not a fan of what the NHL will be doing with configuration and playoff format.

Not sure what the NHL is really doing here, sounds lame. 4 Conferences? Just go back to the Early 90's...4 divisions and be done with it. I have never been a big fan of how the ECHL/AHL do the first 2 rounds but I guess it is what it is. Took the ECHL until 2 years ago to adopt the NHL way. So basically when it comes down to the Final 4 teams how are they gunna decide who plays who?

HansH 12-07-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Men Rule (Post 40571869)
So basically when it comes down to the Final 4 teams how are they gunna decide who plays who?

That would be why I included the following verbatim sentence in my post:
Quote:

Originally Posted by HansH
The GMs are going to determine this Spring how to proceed in the playoffs once they're down to the four Conference champions

Meaning "they haven't decided that yet, and they're still figuring it out". Usually I'm a little more forgiving, but c'mon, dude.

Tommy Hawk 12-07-2011 11:42 PM

What would be really interesting is if the NHL aligns the conferences in line with the NHL affiliate. The affiliates play the same schedule type as their parent club.....

pelts35.com 12-08-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk (Post 40613977)
What would be really interesting is if the NHL aligns the conferences in line with the NHL affiliate. The affiliates play the same schedule type as their parent club.....

Interesting is one word for it. :)

If you are using the AHL as the basis, it's not easy, but here's a gander at it...

Conference A
Winnipeg
LA
SJ
Phoenix
Boston
NY Rangers
Columbus
NYI

Conference B
Philadelphia
NJ
Ottawa
Anaheim
Toronto
Buffalo
Montreal
Carolina

Conference C
Pittsburgh
Washington
Tampa
Colorado
Detroit
Vancouver
Chicago

Conference D
Minnesota
Edmonton
Florida
Dallas
Calgary
St Louis
Nashville

SFTC Addict 12-08-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 40620015)

If you are using the AHL as the basis, it's not easy, but here's a gander at it...

Conference A
Winnipeg
LA
SJ
Phoenix
Boston
NY Rangers
Columbus
NYI

Conference B
Philadelphia
NJ
Ottawa
Anaheim
Toronto
Buffalo
Montreal
Carolina

Conference C
Pittsburgh
Washington
Tampa
Colorado
Detroit
Vancouver
Chicago

Conference D
Minnesota
Edmonton
Florida
Dallas
Calgary
St Louis
Nashville

Is it wrong to say I like the proposal of armchair GM pelts here?

Tommy Hawk 12-09-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 40620015)

Conference A
Winnipeg
LA
SJ
Phoenix
Boston
NY Rangers
Columbus
NYI

Conference B
Philadelphia
NJ
Ottawa
Anaheim
Toronto
Buffalo
Montreal
Carolina

Conference C
Pittsburgh
Washington
Tampa
Colorado
Detroit
Vancouver
Chicago

Conference D
Minnesota
Edmonton
Florida
Dallas
Calgary
St Louis
Nashville

I was thinking more of matching the AHL to the NHL parent as below:

Conference "A"
Anaheim (Syracuse)
Calgary (Abbotsford)
Colorado (Lake Erie)
Edmonton (Oklahoma City)
Los Angeles (Manchester)
Phoenix (Portland)
San Jose (Worcester)
Vancouver (Chicago)

Conference "B"
Chicago (Rockford)
Columbus (Springfield)
Dallas (Texas)
Detroit (Grand Rapids)
Minnesota (Houston)
Nashville (Milwaukee)
St. Louis (Peoria)
Winnipeg (St. Johns)

Conference "C"
Boston (Providence)
Buffalo (Rochester)
Florida (San Antonio)
Montreal (Hamilton)
Ottawa (Binghamton)
Tampa Bay (Norfolk)
Toronto (Toronto)

Conference "D"
Carolina (Charlotte)
New Jersey (Albany)
New York Islanders (Bridgeport)
New York Rangers (Connecticut)
Philadelphia (Adirondack)
Pittsburgh (Wilkes Barre - Scranton)
Washington (Hershey)

HansH 04-06-2012 03:14 PM

Other than affiliation shuffles, are there ANY indications that there might be any Silly Season activity in the AHL this summer, or is it likely to be a very quiet one for the first time in a while?

Rumblick 04-07-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HansH (Post 47429829)
Other than affiliation shuffles, are there ANY indications that there might be any Silly Season activity in the AHL this summer, or is it likely to be a very quiet one for the first time in a while?

I haven't even heard rumors of franchise shifts. Looking pretty much like only affiliation changes this summer.

adsfan 04-07-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblick (Post 47480065)
I haven't even heard rumors of franchise shifts. Looking pretty much like only affiliation changes this summer.

Don't beg for troll inputs!:shakehead