HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Speculation: Jets vs. Pens Monday (MOD: Sid's return?) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1004409)

TCsmyth 10-13-2011 12:04 PM

Jets vs. Pens Monday (MOD: Sid's return?)

Is there a chance?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2199869/

Pavelec4MVP 10-13-2011 12:06 PM

really doubt it
he just got cleared for contact
he hasnt played a game in 10 months

TCsmyth 10-13-2011 12:12 PM

I hear what you are saying....but,

A close friend of mine (and former teammate of Crosby's) suffered a major concussion while at UND. He was out for an extremely long time, and the symptoms would appear with any exertion at all.

He told me that the largest hurdle was the "full out" workouts. Once those were symptom free, the contact was just a formality...i.e. contact was not the issue - it was the symptoms.

Everyone is different, but Lombardi made a really quick jump into the lineup after exerting full out and symptom free. Have heard that Crosby is dying to play in Winnipeg...so who knows?

Lynk 10-13-2011 12:20 PM

I don't see it happening.

He is the best player in the league and the future of Pittsburgh. Regardless if he's been cleared for physical contact, I still see them taking this extremely slowly.

Jet 10-13-2011 12:24 PM

I give it a <1% chance of happening.

You don't mess around with an asset like that. I think his awareness and timing are nowhere near where they need to be. He'd be opening himself up to not only another concussion, but a myriad of other injuries.

I think they remain careful.

PensFan6687 10-13-2011 12:32 PM

Honestly as he is my favorite active player right now, I personally think he should rest this season. I don't want him playing. Too much to chance. Having said that, I doubt he plays Monday. I just hope that Malkin is good to play by then, if not and the added possibility that Johnson may start, I'll be like, so peeved. lol

KingSalamon 10-13-2011 12:39 PM

Perhaps Sid comes to Winnipeg for the pregame skate at least? That way he can give the fans a bit of what they came to see on Monday... a preview of sorts for the December game? As for participating in the game Monday... I'm thinking he won't.

PensFan6687 10-13-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingSalamon (Post 37856203)
Perhaps Sid comes to Winnipeg for the pregame skate at least? That way he can give the fans a bit of what they came to see on Monday... a preview of sorts for the December game? As for participating in the game Monday... I'm thinking he won't.

You don't clear a guy for contact and then play him within a week. We'll see. I personally hope he doesn't. I say that as the known Crosby fan on the Jets forum. Hate lingering symptoms with some injuries. Lemieux's back, then hip. Now Crosby's head. It's tough being a fan.

Le Golie 10-13-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCsmyth (Post 37855017)
I hear what you are saying....but,

A close friend of mine (and former teammate of Crosby's) suffered a major concussion while at UND. He was out for an extremely long time, and the symptoms would appear with any exertion at all.

He told me that the largest hurdle was the "full out" workouts. Once those were symptom free, the contact was just a formality...i.e. contact was not the issue - it was the symptoms.

Everyone is different, but Lombardi made a really quick jump into the lineup after exerting full out and symptom free. Have heard that Crosby is dying to play in Winnipeg...so who knows?

Crosby has been participating in full workouts at 100% exertion for a month or so now and has been symptom free throughout.

That being said, I can't see him getting into the lineup for another couple weeks, they are just taking it slow and won't be in a hurry.

KingSalamon 10-13-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFan6687 (Post 37856537)
You don't clear a guy for contact and then play him within a week. We'll see. I personally hope he doesn't. I say that as the known Crosby fan on the Jets forum. Hate lingering symptoms with some injuries. Lemieux's back, then hip. Now Crosby's head. It's tough being a fan.

Suiting up for a pre-game skate isn't playing. I recall he went with the team on the first road trip and practiced with the team right? That would about the same but with a little pregame skate for the fans is all. I do suppose though... if he were to do something like that, it would be in Pittsburgh for the hometown crowd.

PensFan6687 10-13-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingSalamon (Post 37856923)
Suiting up for a pre-game skate isn't playing. I recall he went with the team on the first road trip and practiced with the team right? That would about the same but with a little pregame skate for the fans is all. I do suppose though... if he were to do something like that, it would be in Pittsburgh for the hometown crowd.

But why would he suit up for a pre-game skate if he's not playing? How often does that happen, especially a player in his position... He won't.

Jet 10-13-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFan6687 (Post 37857585)
But why would he suit up for a pre-game skate if he's not playing? How often does that happen, especially a player in his position... He won't.

I totally agree with your point that he won't dress just for warm up, but if he is healthy enough, he should. He is the single most marketable NHL player right now and he makes a lot of money. He should be helping to sell the game, and if that means dressing for warm ups on the road, then that's what he should be doing.

PensFan6687 10-13-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 37857751)
I totally agree with your point that he won't dress just for warm up, but if he is healthy enough, he should. He is the single most marketable NHL player right now and he makes a lot of money. He should be helping to sell the game, and if that means dressing for warm ups on the road, then that's what he should be doing.

Mario didn't play here his last few years and outside of Gretz he was the NHL's highest marketable player. He may make the trip. He may not. But as we both established, he won't make the team preskate and he shouldn't have to. But yes, for marketing reasons I concur, it would be smart, but at the same time a waste. I don't want to see a pregame skating Crosby. If I want to see a guy just skating around throwing pucks at the net, I'll go walk over to the nearest community arena and watch some nobodies do that. Meaning, no thanks.

I want to see a healthy Crosby playing in a regulation game, or nothing.

Jet 10-13-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFan6687 (Post 37858043)
Mario didn't play here his last few years and outside of Gretz he was the NHL's highest marketable player. He may make the trip. He may not. But as we both established, he won't make the team preskate and he shouldn't have to. But yes, for marketing reasons I concur, it would be smart, but at the same time a waste. I don't want to see a pregame skating Crosby. If I want to see a guy just skating around throwing pucks at the net, I'll go walk over to the nearest community arena and watch some nobodies do that. Meaning, no thanks.

I want to see a healthy Crosby playing in a regulation game, or nothing.

It's not for you, it's for kids who dream of being Crosby, and lovers of the game who want to see the league's superstar live and in person.

If there were any significant risk of having him dress and warm up, I would say don't do it. However, it's another safe opportunity for SC to get on the ice and work on his hands and timing, so it's a win win for everyone. Crosby should be making all the roadtrips at any rate so he can be there for team practices and meetings.

PensFan6687 10-13-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 37858189)
It's not for you, it's for kids who dream of being Crosby, and lovers of the game who want to see the league's superstar live and in person.

If there were any significant risk of having him dress and warm up, I would say don't do it. However, it's another safe opportunity for SC to get on the ice and work on his hands and timing, so it's a win win for everyone. Crosby should be making all the roadtrips at any rate so he can be there for team practices and meetings.

It is for me, look at my HF handle Jet. You're so ignorant you meanie head. *runs and cries* I may not be a kid, but you don't think I want to see my favorite active NHLer in person? *runs and cries some more* hehe

I do agree though. If you're being paid 8.7 million US... Heck, any NHL contract! You should be there to support the team and do everything required of you. I mean, eesh... I still shake my head that I support these millionaires. lol

Sunshine36616 10-13-2011 02:25 PM

I think they make the road trips, but sit up in the press box. Once when the Pens were in Atlanta, I was lucky enough to have press box privileges (we occasionally had blogger days). Letang and Kennedy were up there hoarking down all of our snack mix and popcorn lol

On this occasion, Letang DID participate in game day skate, but not warm up. So unfortunately I don't think the chances are good for an on the ice Sid the Kid siting

tbcwpg 10-13-2011 02:44 PM

I think Crosby feels less like he "has" to make an appearance in Winnipeg because they're back December 23rd. Doesn't help me as I only have Monday's game in my group.

Guardian17 10-13-2011 03:20 PM

I would be very surprised if Crosby plays next week in Winnipeg.

AugustBurnsRed* 10-13-2011 04:37 PM

I'm going.. so that would be AMAZING..

but no. I'm just hoping Malkin plays..

PensFan6687 10-13-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed (Post 37865099)
I'm going.. so that would be AMAZING..

but no. I'm just hoping Malkin plays..

He better. I have him on my team. He's a 106-113 point player in his better days. Would love a 100+ Malkin. Always seems to dominate when he's not in Sid's shadow. I just hope it's not his damn knee.

wpgsilver 10-13-2011 07:44 PM

I'm holding out hope, I know it's longshot but it'd be amazing.

AugustBurnsRed* 10-14-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFan6687 (Post 37855889)
Honestly as he is my favorite active player right now, I personally think he should rest this season. I don't want him playing. Too much to chance. Having said that, I doubt he plays Monday. I just hope that Malkin is good to play by then, if not and the added possibility that Johnson may start, I'll be like, so peeved. lol

If he's ready, then he's ready. Waiting a whole year isn't going to help anything if he's symptom free.

Flat Stanley 10-14-2011 04:40 AM

Crosby says he is symptom free, he was cleared for contact, however I don't expect to see him until close to the start of winter. We need to give him all the time he needs to adjust to the physicality of the NHL in practice before we put him in a game.

Hank Chinaski 10-14-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 37855567)
I give it a <1% chance of happening.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1121/...b534d11a_o.jpg

So you're saying there's a chance...

WJG 10-14-2011 09:58 AM

I have tickets to the game, but I'm torn.

If Crosby plays, we get to see him live but our team is more likely to lose.