HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Official 2011-2012 College Hockey Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1005853)

GopherState 10-15-2011 03:37 PM

Official 2011-2012 College Hockey Thread

As always, my team is better than your team.

GopherState 10-15-2011 03:39 PM

And on a serious note, tonight's Gophers-Bulldogs game is on an alternate Fox Sports North channel. I'm so proud of FSN finally reaching the 21st century and forgoing the ancient art of tape delay.

GopherState 10-15-2011 08:52 PM

Someone tell Dany Heatley that Michigan Tech swept Wisconsin.

Yes, that Michigan Tech.

GopherState 10-15-2011 09:33 PM

Not happy with the Gophers' play tonight but a sweep is a sweep. 5-4 Minnesota win.

mnwildgophers 10-16-2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 37984549)
Not happy with the Gophers' play tonight but a sweep is a sweep. 5-4 Minnesota win.

I was at the Wild game, didn't get to watch much of it, but I'm still impressed with a sweep of the reigning National Champs. This team wasn't very good last year, and they look much better this year. Rau has been absolutely tearing it up.

Northland Wild Man 10-16-2011 10:29 AM

Sioux came back from 2-0 down to earn a 3-3 tie last night.

GopherState 10-19-2011 02:40 PM

tDon signs a 3 year extension to stay at the U.

Dr Jan Itor 10-19-2011 04:07 PM

Turned out to be one hell of a sweep

GopherState 10-20-2011 02:21 PM

Nice Winnipeg Free Press article on former Gopher Kris Chucko retiring due to concussions. I feel like the last bit is as good of an ad for college hockey as you can get.

Deficient Mode 10-21-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 38203709)
Nice Winnipeg Free Press article on former Gopher Kris Chucko retiring due to concussions. I feel like the last bit is as good of an ad for college hockey as you can get.

I hope this has no lasting effects for him. The way he describes it - losing two years of his life - is hard to read.

UMD05 10-21-2011 11:41 AM

Belated congrats to the Gopher fans on your sweep of the Bulldogs. Both teams need to learn how to play some defense & it looks like Reiter has turned into a total sieve.

Jarick 10-21-2011 11:45 AM

Gophers came out flying on Friday but the Bulldogs are just a mean, tough team. They started hitting everything that moved and came back in it. Didn't catch Saturday's game but it was a really fun game Friday. Both teams could be good this year (gasp)

Deficient Mode 10-21-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMD Bob (Post 38257021)
Belated congrats to the Gopher fans on your sweep of the Bulldogs. Both teams need to learn how to play some defense & it looks like Reiter has turned into a total sieve.

A sieve, a funnel, a vacuum, a black hole, and so on.

Ice box hockey 10-21-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Brutal series for him. Was at both games and you couldnt help but worry every time the gophers got a shot. I wish Hjelle wouldn't have left, kids going to be a hell of a goaltender for Ohio.

GopherState 10-21-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

The loss of Faulk and Montgomery really hurt Reiter last weekend.

UMD05 10-21-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 38259811)
The loss of Faulk and Montgomery really hurt Reiter last weekend.

Yeah, I'm hoping Casto & Johnson can develop pretty quickly to shore up the blue line, but I don't know how realistic that is.

Is this going to be Bjugstad's last year at Minnesota? He looks like a man amongst boys on the ice. Gotta think the Panthers will want him to turn pro sooner rather than later.

GopherState 10-21-2011 01:51 PM

I'd be shocked if Bjugstad stayed for another year but stranger things have happened.

Jarick 10-21-2011 02:33 PM

He is just frightening to watch. I'm guessing he'll go pro next year.

UMD05 10-21-2011 02:45 PM

It got to the point last weekend that whenever Bjugstad, Rau or Haula had the puck I figured a goal was coming. I haven't felt that way about the Gophers since they had the Potulny-Stoa-Irmen line.

GopherState 10-21-2011 02:46 PM

Scary thing is that's just a power play line - the Rau-Bjugstad-Budish line was the best against Sacred Heart but were quiet against Duluth. Maybe all the penalties had something to do with it as no one really got going even strength but still I like that this year's team has a variety of scorers.

FUBAR McDangles 10-21-2011 03:49 PM

I have the opportunity to go to the Goofers game tonight for free. Never been to one before so I might go, but I'm not sure.

How's the arena? Compared to St Cloud, Mankato State or UND(the only three college arenas I've been to).

Tempted to go just to see Haula, see how Gopher nation stacks up to Sioux fans, as well as scoping out girls :sarcasm:

this providence 10-21-2011 04:20 PM

It's a dump compared to the Ralph but most places are. I personally don't care for St. Cloud's barn but I know some people that like it better than the Mariucci. Better than Mankato's purely for atmosphere and aesthetics. Mankato always seemed so hodge-podged to me.

All in all, it's a decent barn. The place feels much better if you're at a series worth a damn just for the atmosphere combined with the history around you. When you get a non-rival and a no-name rolling in like this weekend, it's pretty meh if you've got no allegiance to the Gophers.

GopherState 10-21-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyratoku (Post 38266497)
I have the opportunity to go to the Goofers game tonight for free. Never been to one before so I might go, but I'm not sure.

How's the arena? Compared to St Cloud, Mankato State or UND(the only three college arenas I've been to).

Tempted to go just to see Haula, see how Gopher nation stacks up to Sioux fans, as well as scoping out girls :sarcasm:

The arena is great and there is no such thing as a bad seat with the bowl. It has that Camden Yards feel of being both old school but with some modern touches. It's nice but still about hockey - no goal horn, laser show or silly corporate gimmicks compared to the NHL.

The only two drawbacks in my eyes are the scoreboard (which needs to be updated) and the crowd given it's homecoming weekend and they're playing Vermont. It's usually dead with non-conference opponents but we'll see how that goes.

FUBAR McDangles 10-21-2011 04:29 PM

Nevermind. When I heard Gophers I assumed the men's game. Turns out it's free tickets to the women's game against Mankato. :laugh: False alarm.

I do want to make it to a men's game sometime soon, though. I love checking out new arenas. That's how I saw SCSU's rig. I snuck in during the day two summers ago when I was at a business camp thing right after the guys got done with practice and it was empty save me and one other janitor :laugh:

GopherState 10-21-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by this providence (Post 38267599)
It's a dump compared to the Ralph but most places are. I personally don't care for St. Cloud's barn but I know some people that like it better than the Mariucci. Better than Mankato's purely for atmosphere and aesthetics. Mankato always seemed so hodge-podged to me.

All in all, it's a decent barn. The place feels much better if you're at a series worth a damn just for the atmosphere combined with the history around you. When you get a non-rival and a no-name rolling in like this weekend, it's pretty meh if you've got no allegiance to the Gophers.

I've played in St. Cloud's. It's a dump both inside and out.