HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Indy Car Driver Dies (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1006869)

euphrates 10-16-2011 07:13 PM

Indy Car Driver Dies

last race of the season .. RIP

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...don-1978-2011/

Qui Gon Dave 10-16-2011 07:38 PM

What a horrible crash :(

My thoughts go out to his family, friends, colleagues and fans.

Indy isn't a series that I follow but I knew of him, heard good things about him. Not sure what series he took part in over here but if he was a part of the TOCA or GT packages in the mid/late 90's I probably saw him race. Terrible shame that this should happen.

Major respect to all people involved in making motorsport as safe as possible, whether through improving safety of cars/tracks or working as marshals. They all do incredible work, just very unfortunate that a set of circumstances occured that defied all their efforts.

Rest in peace Dan.

overlords 10-16-2011 07:47 PM

Crimson Skorpion 10-16-2011 07:51 PM

That's messed up. A mother and two children now have a missing link in their family forever. I really hate when stuff like this happens.

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon.

Beakermania* 10-16-2011 08:15 PM

Horrible Tragedy.

RIP

Ozymandias 10-16-2011 08:15 PM

My biggest wish for Dan Wheldon and his friends and family, is that somehow, he becomes a Freejack.

Bloumeister 10-16-2011 08:27 PM

Tragic. We're so used to see drivers walk out of these wrecks unscathed that we've come to think that they're invincible. Just horrific.

RIP Dan.

Nicko999 10-16-2011 08:33 PM

Tragic...

RIP

D3nZ 10-16-2011 08:35 PM

Tragedies like those always remind me of Greg Moore. As soon as I saw his crash, I knew there was nothing that could have been done for him.

RIP

Ozymandias 10-16-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloumeister (Post 38027499)
Tragic. We're so used to see drivers walk out of these wrecks unscathed that we've come to think that they're invincible. Just horrific.

RIP Dan.

Not really, at least not for me. The number of race car drivers who died in action is tremendously long.

Wheldon is the 42nd professional race car driver to die since 2000 alone, in an age where security measures have never been as high in car racing history. That's 4 per year, with at least 1 or 2 in major leagues. And that's without all the serious injuries of those who didn't die.

It's one of the world's most dangerous 'sports', if you can call it that.

Bloumeister 10-16-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 38028011)
Not really, at least not for me. The number of race car drivers who died in action is tremendously long.

Wheldon is the 42nd professional race car driver to die since 2000 alone, in an age where security measures have never been as high in car racing history. That's 4 per year, with at least 1 or 2 in major leagues. And that's without all the serious injuries of those who didn't die.

It's one of the world's most dangerous 'sports', if you can call it that.

You're right about it statistically. What I meant was that we've seen a guy like Kenny Brack survive a 214 g crash and get back to "business as usual", or even a Zanardi who still races with prosthetic limbs. While it's true that race car drivers die every year, the "miracles" far outweigh the deaths. One look at pics from Robert Kubica's rally crash is enough to believe that there's a 'higher force' protecting drivers. Sadly, that's not the case, and Lady Luck was not buckled in Wheldon's car today.

Bad Natey 10-16-2011 09:06 PM

RIP Dan.

My condolences to the family.

68 10-16-2011 09:42 PM

R.I.P.

This is probably the saddest race crash I have seen. I shed many bad mother****er tears watching this. The music and desperate attempt by his friend to save his life killed me.