HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Getting sent down to house (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1006919)

SauceHockey 10-16-2011 09:36 PM

Getting sent down to house

On the last day of my rep team tryouts I was called into the dressing room 10 minutes before practice was over. I waited 5 ****** minutes for the coach to come in and when he came he told me I was cut. At first when he told I was :( then he. He told me because of my backwards skating. I was like :rant:"WHAT THE **** ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! BACKWARDS SKATING, I'M ******* FORWARD, THATS THE LAMEST REASON YOU CAN SEND ME DOWN FOR.":rant: He also told me my shot was an issue which understandable. So last week I had my first practice for house and in the last 20 minutes we had a scrimage I scored 8 ******* goals, and no one else scored more than 2 goals. I'm still pissed

Rebels21 10-16-2011 09:47 PM

the skill level between travel and house is huge. so those 8 turn into 1 or 2 in travel.

flyers10 10-16-2011 11:43 PM

Redirect your disappointment and anger towards improving those areas he mentioned. Take some private lessons and work on your backward skating and forward to backward pivots, transitions, etc. Have the instructor help your shooting technique and take hundreds of shots on and off ice to improve. Next season go out again with your improved skills and show the coach that your rep material.

LateNightOilerFan 10-17-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers10 (Post 38032317)
Redirect your disappointment and anger towards improving those areas he mentioned. Take some private lessons and work on your backward skating and forward to backward pivots, transitions, etc. Have the instructor help your shooting technique and take hundreds of shots on and off ice to improve. Next season go out again with your improved skills and show the coach that your rep material.

Very good advice!

OP, what level was this? Backwards skating is still a necessity as a forward, especially in your transitioning and pivots as flyers10 says. Just wondering, when you have to change direction, do you pivot and turn or do you skate forward in a wide circle to get turned around? Do you often find yourself way behind the play when it goes up the ice after you've been on the attack? If your d-men get caught up the ice are you able to cover for them? If so, improving your backwards skating can help you.

My son had his share of being the very last cut for a few consecutive years. The last year it happened, he waited the 24 hour cooling off period that is recommended by our association before discussing being cut by a coach, and he thanked the coach for the try-out, then asked the coach what he needed to work on. He was already a member of an indoor training facility so he knew he could get some one-on-one training on the weaker parts of his game.

Also, since he was the last cut from B to House, he knew he would be considered an affiliate player and be the first call-up in the event of injury to a roster player. So then he asked if it would be ok for him to practice with the team so he could learn the drills they were doing, get to know the set plays, etc., so that he would be able to help the team more when he did get called up. He ended up getting the maximum number of call-ups allowed to the B team, still had a great year in House, and got invited to some B tournaments when his House season was done. The coach also admitted to him and to us near the end of the season that he had made a mistake in cutting him.

He's made rep every year since and is now playing high school hockey, and I know he really impressed the rep coaches that year with how he turned his disappointment into a positive (yes, his parents coached him a bit on all this, but made sure he was the one to talk to the coach and have the conversation after he was cut). So just work hard and you'll get noticed and maybe even get called up to play rep during the year, and if not, at least prove them wrong next year. It might also be a good idea to talk to the coach and apologize for your initial reaction and let him know you are working hard in House.

SauceHockey 10-17-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan (Post 38033561)
Very good advice!

OP, what level was this? Backwards skating is still a necessity as a forward, especially in your transitioning and pivots as flyers10 says. Just wondering, when you have to change direction, do you pivot and turn or do you skate forward in a wide circle to get turned around? Do you often find yourself way behind the play when it goes up the ice after you've been on the attack? If your d-men get caught up the ice are you able to cover for them? If so, improving your backwards skating can help you.

My son had his share of being the very last cut for a few consecutive years. The last year it happened, he waited the 24 hour cooling off period that is recommended by our association before discussing being cut by a coach, and he thanked the coach for the try-out, then asked the coach what he needed to work on. He was already a member of an indoor training facility so he knew he could get some one-on-one training on the weaker parts of his game.

Also, since he was the last cut from B to House, he knew he would be considered an affiliate player and be the first call-up in the event of injury to a roster player. So then he asked if it would be ok for him to practice with the team so he could learn the drills they were doing, get to know the set plays, etc., so that he would be able to help the team more when he did get called up. He ended up getting the maximum number of call-ups allowed to the B team, still had a great year in House, and got invited to some B tournaments when his House season was done. The coach also admitted to him and to us near the end of the season that he had made a mistake in cutting him.

He's made rep every year since and is now playing high school hockey, and I know he really impressed the rep coaches that year with how he turned his disappointment into a positive (yes, his parents coached him a bit on all this, but made sure he was the one to talk to the coach and have the conversation after he was cut). So just work hard and you'll get noticed and maybe even get called up to play rep during the year, and if not, at least prove them wrong next year. It might also be a good idea to talk to the coach and apologize for your initial reaction and let him know you are working hard in House.

I am a call-up for B. Thanks for the post

CornKicker 10-17-2011 12:02 PM

i was cut my first year of bantam, best thing ever, i dominated the house league to the point that easily made AAA bantam the next year. just dont sulk and use it to make yourself better

1stoverall 10-17-2011 02:23 PM

Keep your heads up improve on your weaker aspects half of the time minor hockey is politics anyway i don't want to get started on that but man some of the kids that make these times cause there parents are buddies with the coach is hilarious

Stickmata 10-18-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebels21 (Post 38028189)
the skill level between travel and house is huge. so those 8 turn into 1 or 2 in travel.

Not out West here, at least as it relates to Travel B. Travel B out here is just a step above the best in-house team. Huge difference between AAA and B, obviously.

SauceHockey 10-18-2011 09:36 PM

i actually meant A, but we also have a AA team. So we always refer to the A team as the B group.
sorry for the misunderstanding

BLBarmada 10-18-2011 10:55 PM

**** happens bro, I'm last year midget and I got cut from A, Im better then sone guys in A. The coaches don't know me.

So my 1st 2 games I coasted thinking I could get 40 easily... I was wrong.... I now know I have to work my ass off, and yester I decided to start working on my shot and stickhandling, I did the same thing today, tomorrow I'm going work on speed too.

My point, I wanna play Junior, you want to play travel ? Go out there and earn that right !!! Work your ass off !!! Practice every chance you get and shoot atleast 200 pucks a day 5x per week. Also work on your stickhandling for 10 minutes per day.

As for skating, go skating every chance you get and spend half your time working on your backwards skating.

Hope this helps !

griffpf 10-19-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdwe1 (Post 38027783)
On the last day of my rep team tryouts I was called into the dressing room 10 minutes before practice was over. I waited 5 ****** minutes for the coach to come in and when he came he told me I was cut. At first when he told I was :( then he. He told me because of my backwards skating. I was like :rant:"WHAT THE **** ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! BACKWARDS SKATING, I'M ******* FORWARD, THATS THE LAMEST REASON YOU CAN SEND ME DOWN FOR.":rant: He also told me my shot was an issue which understandable. So last week I had my first practice for house and in the last 20 minutes we had a scrimage I scored 8 ******* goals, and no one else scored more than 2 goals. I'm still pissed

you sound exactly like me my first year of midget got cut went and trained hard and made the team the next two years.. after that i went to junior and was very last cut 25 games into the season cause of transitional speed. but was lucky enough to joun the college team back home and played a very minimal role but in playoffs everyone got hurt and i stepped up and played very good... the next year i was a lock on the team.. this past season i went back to jr cause i moved for school and just wanted to play some hockey on the side and came in as a seond to first line player.. the past few games i was sent to the energy line but that was my fault for not producing.... keep workign at it and you will easily make it. keep your head up and prove the coaches wrong is the best way to do it.. you will be fine dont worry bud:)