HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Comeau what's the deal? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1006949)

Qubax 10-16-2011 09:32 PM

Comeau what's the deal?

Signs a new one year deal.

Presumably he would work to have a good season so that he could make more money next year.

Can some Isles fans give some insight on his benching, where he stands with the coach and his future/upside?

Thanks

Isles Junkie 10-16-2011 09:38 PM

He needs to be playing on the left side and he has to has to has to start being physical every game. Every handful of games Comeau goes out & hits everyone & he's really productive. But then the next game he just stops hitting. I don't get it.

As for his standing with the coach & the whole benching, I'm sure that Jack is just trying to send him a message. But at the same time, Jack isn't doing him any favors by putting him on the right side when he has a long history of being a superior LW. It would be one thing if the move was made for a star player, but Brian Rolston isn't as good as Comeau is now. They should worry about putting the better player in the best position to succeed.

SLAPSHOT723 10-16-2011 09:47 PM

I was really surprised Capuano scratched him for the Ranger game. If there was any game to give him a boost, it would have been against the Rangers.

He's been invisible, but he always is invisible for stretches. When he's hot, he's hot.

Mr Wentworth 10-16-2011 09:52 PM

He was benched for one game.

One.

A benching of one game does not make a players resume.

drive45 10-17-2011 01:27 AM

fair enough,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan (Post 38030729)
He was benched for one game.

One.

A benching of one game does not make a players resume.

but as was discussed in another thread, BC has been a real rags-killer the last 2 yrs (8G, 4A), so his benching was a little surprising. Basically, someone had to sit to make room for Gillies, and Cappy sat BC instead of Rolston or Pandolfo.

Sammy2010* 10-17-2011 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 (Post 38030563)
I was really surprised Capuano scratched him for the Ranger game. If there was any game to give him a boost, it would have been against the Rangers.

He's been invisible, but he always is invisible for stretches. When he's hot, he's hot.

It seems he comes alive once the team is out of contention.

OlTimeHockey 10-17-2011 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy2010 (Post 38035733)
It seems he comes alive once the team is out of contention.

when were they in contention?:laugh:

the sweetener 10-17-2011 08:05 AM

just my speculation but i think he was benched because capuano wants guys putting pucks on net not circling the offensive zone looking to dish. comeau is effective when he's shooting going to the net not when hes circling and trying to make plays.

Chapin Landvogt 10-17-2011 09:02 AM

No big deal. Comeau was sent a message.

Gillies was dressed in case the foul play starts against the Rags and in light of the liberties TB took with the team.

Sometimes he needs a kick in the butt.

desmond 10-17-2011 09:23 AM

Always been a slow starter.

JPIsles21 10-17-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt (Post 38039219)
No big deal. Comeau was sent a message.

Gillies was dressed in case the foul play starts against the Rags and in light of the liberties TB took with the team.

Sometimes he needs a kick in the butt.

I do find it weird the way Capuano has answered questions about Comeau's scratching. To me it sounds like more than just poor play. Perhaps trade? Perhaps he did something to piss off the coaching staff?

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

SLAPSHOT723 10-17-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPIsles21 (Post 38042925)
I do find it weird the way Capuano has answered questions about Comeau's scratching. To me it sounds like more than just poor play. Perhaps trade? Perhaps he did something to piss off the coaching staff?

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

I'm sure it's a "piss off the coaching staff" scratch. Comeau's been known to think he's entitled to something that he doesn't deserve by just sitting there. That's why he was sent down at the beginning of the season a few years ago, and scratched more than once in his career.

SLAPSHOT723 10-17-2011 01:11 PM

Now I don't know...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...ment-on-comeau

Perhaps he is being traded once Nino is ready?

periferal 10-17-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 (Post 38046447)
Now I don't know...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...ment-on-comeau

Perhaps he is being traded once Nino is ready?

You don't know because Capuano (and Snow) won't comment. Truth is...I'm fine with Comeau being dealt for a quality defenseman and Nino sliding in his spot.

Problem is...You don't usually sit players you're actively trying to trade.

SLAPSHOT723 10-17-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by periferal (Post 38046967)
You don't know because Capuano (and Snow) won't comment. Truth is...I'm fine with Comeau being dealt for a quality defenseman and Nino sliding in his spot.

Problem is...You don't usually sit players you're actively trying to trade.

Sometimes they are scratched if the GM knows they are being traded and doesn't want them to get hurt. Happened to Bill Guerin.

redbull 10-17-2011 02:21 PM

I don't think he's being traded, I think it was performance-related. Not output, specifically, but effort and lack of consistency.

I think this is the first time that Capuano has benched Comeau, please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know Gordon did it a few times but I don't think Cappy did. In fact, Capuano continued to give Comeau important minutes as the season went on. Comeau was essentially a first line player under Capuano in terms of minutes - spread between PP, PK AND ES.

This came as a surprise to me, I thought Rolston was the weakest forward on the Islanders the first four games. NOt sure if they needed Rolston's cap hit either, because I'm sure they were well below the cap floor as soon as Dipietro got hurt.

I like Capuano's stance on not commenting on roster changes. I think it's important that stays within the team.

Based on Comeau's comments and Capuano's comments, I suspect it was based on his poor play/effot.

BillD 10-17-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 (Post 38043275)
I'm sure it's a "piss off the coaching staff" scratch. Comeau's been known to think he's entitled to something that he doesn't deserve by just sitting there. That's why he was sent down at the beginning of the season a few years ago, and scratched more than once in his career.

I know of no evidence to support the theory that he thinks he is entitled. If you have some proof, please provide it.
I also do not remember him being benched while a member of the regular roster. He was sent down quite a few years ago by Nolan, but remember, he is still only 25, so he was probably 22 when he came up and down, which is not unusual for a young player on a veteran laden roster like we had in '07-08.

IslandersFan17 10-17-2011 03:09 PM

With the way the top line has been playing you have to believe PAP is all but staying on that line.

So there fore who is going to be the victim of the Nino will play on this roster campaign? Comeau seems to be the guy coming to mind.

periferal 10-17-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 (Post 38047495)
Sometimes they are scratched if the GM knows they are being traded and doesn't want them to get hurt. Happened to Bill Guerin.

Actually it really doesn't happen that a player doesn't play prior to a trade. That Guerin situation was completely unique of you remember. Supposedly they had a deal in place with a certain team (I believe it was Washington), but the player coming back didn't waive his NMC. Therefore Guerin was pulled from the lineup as the deal was agreed to between Snow and the other GM. When the deal fell apart it was agreed that it would have been awkward to put him back in the lineup, so Guerin waited on the sidelines while Snow searched for the best deal possible which was a conditional 3rd rounder from Pittsburgh.

However a situation like this is very rare. Players usually play right up until they're traded.

SLAPSHOT723 10-17-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaljudge (Post 38050339)
I know of no evidence to support the theory that he thinks he is entitled. If you have some proof, please provide it.
I also do not remember him being benched while a member of the regular roster. He was sent down quite a few years ago by Nolan, but remember, he is still only 25, so he was probably 22 when he came up and down, which is not unusual for a young player on a veteran laden roster like we had in '07-08.

Maybe I misinterpreted the situation but I feel like every time he plays poorly it seems as though it was a run in with the coach. I'm just assuming it's based on him wanting to play a more prominent role while the coach doesn't believe he earned it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by periferal (Post 38051705)
Actually it really doesn't happen that a player doesn't play prior to a trade. That Guerin situation was completely unique of you remember. Supposedly they had a deal in place with a certain team (I believe it was Washington), but the player coming back didn't waive his NMC. Therefore Guerin was pulled from the lineup as the deal was agreed to between Snow and the other GM. When the deal fell apart it was agreed that it would have been awkward to put him back in the lineup, so Guerin waited on the sidelines while Snow searched for the best deal possible which was a conditional 3rd rounder from Pittsburgh.

However a situation like this is very rare. Players usually play right up until they're traded.

That's true, it was a strange situation. But it happened with him and Derek Morris at the same deadline. It can happen, but yeah it's probably unlikely unless Garth has already agreed to a deal.

Isles Junkie 10-17-2011 04:50 PM

On Comeau possibly moving back to the left wing:

“[Comeau] and Rolston, I know they talk quite a bit about switching left or right. If they feel more comfortable that way, then so do I.” (Capuano)

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...-the-coliseum/

I hope Rolston is ok with the move. It's best for Comeau & he's the better player of the 2 now.

leeroggy 10-18-2011 07:52 AM

The whole Comeau situation is simply that he is likely the odd man out right now. And because he is young, a 20-goal scorer and has a one-year contract he is the best bargaining chip we have if we are still pursuing a top 4 defenseman. I don't think it goes any further than that.

Nino needs a position to play and it makes sense to play him with Bailey and Rolston. A playmaking center and a defensively responsible winger allows Nino to play a simple game when he starts his NHL career. Get to the net and pick up goals. Use his shot and not have to create his shot.

If a physical d-man is available then that is the trade. If not available then the trade waits until it is. We are finally approaching that period of time when this franchise starts to get a backlog of talent in the system, and hard decisions need to be made. We haven't had that issue since the early 80's. But it is coming over the next few years. Comeau is a nice player but his upside is where he is now, unless there is some hidden scoring talent that gets him to the 30 goal level.

Who does Strome replace next year or two years from now? Or Petrov if he is ready and comes over next year? When you have depth it gives you flexibility to trade to fit need. If I'm Garth I think I have a special thing going on this year. This team has talent, and now it looks like it is finally learning how to win. The last three wins were significant because of how they played with the lead in the third period. This is where Reasoner, Pandolfo and Roulston are so important; they know how to hold a late lead. A real Top 4 d-man might well be the final piece in putting this team over the top THIS YEAR.

If it costs Comeau or Bailey, THAT'S THE PRICE TO PAY.

Although he is not a truly physical player Cody Franson might be available. Maybe a swap of the two with a draft pick going each way. Comeau and a 4th for Franson and a 2nd? Maybe something like that.

xECK29x 10-18-2011 08:37 AM

I think it really comes down to if Nino can replace Comeau at this point when he returns. It's really the only spot for him, do not mess with the chemistry on the first two lines (and maybe even the 4th for that matter).

drive45 10-18-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeroggy (Post 38086825)
The whole Comeau situation is simply that he is likely the odd man out right now. And because he is young, a 20-goal scorer and has a one-year contract he is the best bargaining chip we have if we are still pursuing a top 4 defenseman. I don't think it goes any further than that.

Nino needs a position to play and it makes sense to play him with Bailey and Rolston. A playmaking center and a defensively responsible winger allows Nino to play a simple game when he starts his NHL career. Get to the net and pick up goals. Use his shot and not have to create his shot.

If a physical d-man is available then that is the trade. If not available then the trade waits until it is. We are finally approaching that period of time when this franchise starts to get a backlog of talent in the system, and hard decisions need to be made. We haven't had that issue since the early 80's. But it is coming over the next few years. Comeau is a nice player but his upside is where he is now, unless there is some hidden scoring talent that gets him to the 30 goal level.

Who does Strome replace next year or two years from now? Or Petrov if he is ready and comes over next year? When you have depth it gives you flexibility to trade to fit need. If I'm Garth I think I have a special thing going on this year. This team has talent, and now it looks like it is finally learning how to win. The last three wins were significant because of how they played with the lead in the third period. This is where Reasoner, Pandolfo and Roulston are so important; they know how to hold a late lead. A real Top 4 d-man might well be the final piece in putting this team over the top THIS YEAR.

If it costs Comeau or Bailey, THAT'S THE PRICE TO PAY.

Although he is not a truly physical player Cody Franson might be available. Maybe a swap of the two with a draft pick going each way. Comeau and a 4th for Franson and a 2nd? Maybe something like that.

What makes you say that Cody Franson might be available?

leeroggy 10-18-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive45 (Post 38088661)
What makes you say that Cody Franson might be available?

The Canadian papers have covered this some. Franson was a healthy scratch and not happy about it, and went public with it. Toronto has at least 7 NHL level defensemen and Burke has made no secret he would be willing to acquire another forward. Based on Franson's numbers the last two years in Nashville you would think he would be starting.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...ed-of-waiting/

The article lists the defense and delves into Franson's feelings.

At 6'5" and 215lbs with a right handed shot he would fit nicely on our third pairing and would probably make the perfect compliment for DeHaan when he eventually gets called up.