HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Technique question: as a defenseman, when you try to block a shot... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1007033)

GoalieMel33 10-16-2011 11:55 PM

Technique question: as a defenseman, when you try to block a shot...

should you hold your stick in front of you like when you try to intercept a pass or to your side like when you shoot (blade on ice or not?)?

During a game there is a goal scored against us that was deflected off my stick as I was trying to block a shot. One of my teammates told me I should hold my stick in front of me in that situation. I'm aware I should not block the goalie's view while doing so unless I'm sure it'll hit me. I'm just not convinced about the posture to adopt. I'm relatively new to the position (used to be a goalie) so I'm not familiar with the techniques. Could someone tell me their opinion on which one I should use?

Thanks for any help!

Rebels21 10-17-2011 12:09 AM

ummm i may be wrong but what i do is try to get my stick on it if its farther out and if im in close to the net i try to put my feet together and put the blade in front of my feet flat.

ChiTownHawks 10-17-2011 10:36 AM

Honestly for me when trying to block a shot I try to get into the right position so I am not block with my stick at all. Only when there is a really slow shot or a pass through the slot will I use my stick. Otherwise you are asking for a deflection into your own net.

CornKicker 10-17-2011 11:00 AM

more importantly than scoring in your own net you dont want your stick in front of you as the puck can get deflected into your own face.

im a forward but when blocking point shots you want to have your stick to your strong side to maybe tip any pass from a faked shot, other wise get your shins as close to the puck as you can, close your legs and if you feel the impact look for a breakaway

shawn1331 10-17-2011 11:22 AM

I like to keep an active stick which sometimes causes them to rush and shoot the puck right into my shin pads. If your stick is moving and taking away lanes you never know what might happen

1stoverall 10-17-2011 01:15 PM

I always try and move my stick to the side right at the last second, keeping your stick infront of you if the player is shooting straight on is bad news. Ive have pucks deflect off my stick right up into my face twice resulting in zippers

gluvhand 10-17-2011 03:44 PM

As a goalie I've had pucks deflected by me in every way imaginable by my team-mates. I only have three things I try to get through to them. 1-Your hands have to be strong on your sticks. Limp-wristed waving at the puck is a no-no. 2-If the puck is going wide...let it. 3-Stay on your feet. 9 out of 10 times you're just taking yourself out of the play.

Sorry for going a bit OT. I guess number 1 is the only one that applies here.

Achronos19 10-17-2011 10:30 PM

I was taught to reach to rush the guy with the puck. Put pressure on him if you are close enough. If you are farther away, well personally I'm not gonna try and block a shot with my stick cause twigs are expensive so I'll put it in a passing lane if he's faking a shot.

ReverendAlBundy 10-17-2011 10:43 PM

Never reach out forward to block it with your stick. Ive taken many pucks to the face doing that.

WpgBoy84 10-18-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere (Post 38077409)
Never reach out forward to block it with your stick. Ive taken many pucks to the face doing that.

haha. I've done that twice is two weeks now. but I look at it this way...they didn't score.:)
either way, I am going to have to change my strategy. first it was a puck to the mouth, and then to the throat. not fun.

ReverendAlBundy 10-18-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WpgBoy84 (Post 38096219)
haha. I've done that twice is two weeks now. but I look at it this way...they didn't score.:)
either way, I am going to have to change my strategy. first it was a puck to the mouth, and then to the throat. not fun.

My last three were mouth, throat, and eye. Throat definitely being the scariest