HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A DG like Burke in Montreal, Is it possible? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1009735)

AreYouHockey 10-20-2011 07:03 AM

A DG like Burke in Montreal, Is it possible?
 
A Brian Burke type of GM, is it possible in Montreal?

Very agressive on the trade market.
Very agressive on the unrestricted market.
Rumors about offer sheets to restricted free agents.

Is it what we need, or are we too conservator?

habsjunkie2* 10-20-2011 07:09 AM

No it's not. Burke wouldn't be the answer here. Loud and exciting making plenty of deals doesn't necessarily result in success.

The Leafs are off to a hot start, but I fully expect them to come back to earth, unless we think kessel will threaten Wayne Gretzkys scoring record. Burke has made his share of blunders himself.

I prefer the slow, steady approach to quick fixes that set his club 3 years back.

Andy 10-20-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 (Post 38188603)
No it's not. Burke wouldn't be the answer here. Loud and exciting making plenty of deals doesn't necessarily result in success.

The Leafs are off to a hot start, but I fully expect them to come back to earth, unless we think kessel will threaten Wayne Gretzkys scoring record. Burke has made his share of blunders himself.

I prefer the slow, steady approach to quick fixes that set his club 3 years back.

Agreed.

As far as this year's version of the Leafs goes, I do think they are better than last year, but like you said, unless Phil Kessel keeps that Gretzky pace, they will come back down.

I think Burke realized he ****ed up and played it a lot cooler than his first year. He was too aggressive in his first year, overvalued his team.

Beakermania* 10-20-2011 07:15 AM

Burke doesn't make offer sheets.

For all burke's ufa aggressiveness he signed tim connolly as his star free agent this year.

Last year it was brett lebda.

Two years ago mike komisarek, while we were grabbing mike cammalleri.

Why would you even want burke?

Three years in toronto, 0 playoff appearances. And in april I still believe it will be 4.

Burke's 5 year plan is apparently different from everyone else's. Everyone else has a 5 year plan to win the cup, it'll take burkie five years just to make the playoffs.

Habs 4 Life 10-20-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commandant (Post 38188683)
Burke doesn't make offer sheets.

For all burke's ufa aggressiveness he signed tim connolly as his star free agent this year.

Last year it was brett lebda.

Two years ago mike komisarek, while we were grabbing mike cammalleri.

Why would you even want burke?

Three years in toronto, 0 playoff appearances. And in april I still believe it will be 4.

Burke's 5 year plan is apparently different from everyone else's. Everyone else has a 5 year plan to win the cup, it'll take burkie five years just to make the playoffs.

The Habs offered Komisarek a contract, so it's not any better cause it was Mike who decided to leave.

Cammalleri was offered a deal by the Leafs but the Habs deal was better and an extra season to his deal that's why he came here

WestIslander 10-20-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DohDog (Post 38188549)
A Brian Burke type of DG, is it possible in Montreal?

Making offer sheets to restricted free agents.
Very agressive on the trade market.
Very agressive on the unrestricted market.

Is it what we need, or are we too conservator?


Brian Burke has NEVER made an offer sheet to an RFA
Brian Burke is only aggressive on the trade market before the trade deadline
Brian Burke is only aggressive on the unrestricted market for components his teams needs

And as for your question, the answer is NO! Because Brian Burke does not speak French and nor does 90% of the NHL, and the "rocks" that Pierre Boivin turned over a few years back only had Pierre Gauthier under them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 38188845)
The Habs offered Komisarek a contract, so it's not any better cause it was Mike who decided to leave.

Cammalleri was offered a deal by the Leafs but the Habs deal was better and an extra season to his deal that's why he came here

Mike Komisarek left Montreal for $250,000.00 a season, Montreal offered him $4,250,000.00 per season and Toronto went up to $4,500,000.00 because "Burkie" was desperate in his first full season as GM.

Cammalleri was offered the same or more money by Toronto, he signed in Montreal because he said it gave him a better chance to win and the signing of Gionta, trade for Gomez and Markov etc. Helped his decision as well.

Beakermania* 10-20-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 38188845)
The Habs offered Komisarek a contract, so it's not any better cause it was Mike who decided to leave.

Cammalleri was offered a deal by the Leafs but the Habs deal was better and an extra season to his deal that's why he came here

So the leafs offered more money for komisarek and we refused to match that offer? Well it looks like one gm overspent and it wasn't ours.

And closing the deal with cammalleri is part of the job, is it not?

I fail to see how this helps the pro Burke argument.

InglewoodJack 10-20-2011 07:35 AM

I didn't read through everything, but the fans would tear him apart. While the team has never really been about what the fans want, I can't see someone so aggressive work here. The first bad move, or even the first move which doesn't pan out immediately, they'll be out for his head. We've been relatively lucky in Montreal, but if we had to go through what Toronto is with their "rebuild", there would literally be protests at the Bell Centre.

Pietraneglo222 10-20-2011 07:37 AM

You guys need Bryan Murray.

Habs 4 Life 10-20-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestIslander (Post 38188885)
Mike Komisarek left Montreal for $250,000.00 a season, Montreal offered him $4,250,000.00 per season and Toronto went up to $4,500,000.00 because "Burkie" was desperate in his first full season as GM.

Cammalleri was offered the same or more money by Toronto, he signed in Montreal because he said it gave him a better chance to win and the signing of Gionta, trade for Gomez and Markov etc. Helped his decision as well.

I don't remember 100% but I'm pretty sure Cammalleri was signed before Gionta

What I'm trying to say is that as much as Burke looks bad now with the signing of Komisarek, it's not like we knew cause we still offered him a big contract

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commandant (Post 38188887)
So the leafs offered more money for komisarek and we refused to match that offer? Well it looks like one gm overspent and it wasn't ours.

And closing the deal with cammalleri is part of the job, is it not?

I fail to see how this helps the pro Burke argument.

I'm not pro Burke at all just saying it's not really fair to nail the guy for the Komi signing when we offered him almost the same thing, guy wanted to leave and thank God he did

He also made some good moves, like Grabovski who he got for nothing from us and other players like Phaneuf, Gardiner, Aulie. Again Burke I don't think is the answer for this team but I do give him a bit of credit and I do think the Leafs will be a solid team in the near future.(But that's my opinion)

AreYouHockey 10-20-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestIslander (Post 38188847)
Brian Burke has NEVER made an offer sheet to an RFA
Brian Burke is only aggressive on the trade market before the trade deadline
Brian Burke is only aggressive on the unrestricted market for components his teams needs

And as for your question, the answer is NO! Because Brian Burke does not speak French and nor does 90% of the NHL, and the "rocks" that Pierre Boivin turned over a few years back only had Pierre Gauthier under them.

Well, what I meant is... He's way more active and he's taking chances. Big Risk, Huge rewards sometimes....but sometimes it doesn't work.

WestIslander 10-20-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 38188975)
I don't remember 100% but I'm pretty sure Cammalleri was signed before Gionta

What I'm trying to say is that as much as Burke looks bad now with the signing of Komisarek, it's not like we knew cause we still offered him a big contract

I think it was:

1) Gomez (trade)
2) Spacek
3) Gill
4) Gionta
5) Cammalleri
6) Moen

Davebo 10-20-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DohDog (Post 38188549)
A Brian Burke type of DG, is it possible in Montreal?

Very agressive on the trade market.
Very agressive on the unrestricted market.
Rumors about offer sheets to restricted free agents.

Is it what we need, or are we too conservator?

What is a DG? Am I correct in assuming he's using the French form of GM?

And NO, to burke. **** no!

otto bond 10-20-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commandant (Post 38188887)
So the leafs offered more money for komisarek and we refused to match that offer? Well it looks like one gm overspent and it wasn't ours.

And closing the deal with cammalleri is part of the job, is it not?

I fail to see how this helps the pro Burke argument.

Well not sure if the Habs where given a chance to match! PG is doing fine. If we win a Cup with him great but if not, he managed fairly.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Immanuel (Post 38188955)
You guys need Bryan Murray.

NO!:rant:

hototogisu 10-20-2011 08:03 AM

Burke has some good qualities as GM for sure, but the reasoning here is just ridiculous, when Gainey/Gauthier have matched his "aggressiveness" in every single area, and have actually produced bonafide results to boot. We went to the conference finals while the Leafs finished 2nd to last in the league and gave up Tyler Seguin...I mean, really? That's what you're sorry we missed out on?

TheRedKnight 10-20-2011 08:05 AM

I just want a General Manager that actually addresses the issues with his team. HUMMM who knocked out the Habs out of the playoffs the last 4 years.

2007–08 Lost in Conference Semifinals, 1-4 (Flyers)
2008–09 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals, 0–4 (Bruins)
2009–10 Lost in Conference Finals, 1-4 (Flyers)
2010–11 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals, 3-4 (Bruins)

Humm maybe just freakin maybe alittle size on Defence and some muscle on the fourth line would go a long way in protecting some players - and they won't run out of gas once the real season starts.

Gauthier get in touch with Ottawa give them a prospect (Weber) for Neil and Konopka - make a trade for 1 defenseman with size and your set. Both these guys can play hockey and Konopka is a fine faceoff guy.

In my fantasy world Neil-Konopka-White/Moen would be a dangerously effective and intimidating 4th line.

hototogisu 10-20-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestIslander (Post 38189205)
I think it was:

1) Gomez (trade)
2) Spacek
3) Gill
4) Gionta
5) Cammalleri
6) Moen

I'm 99% sure we signed Cammalleri before Gionta.

Monctonscout 10-20-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DohDog (Post 38188549)
A Brian Burke type of DG, is it possible in Montreal?

Very agressive on the trade market.
Very agressive on the unrestricted market.
Rumors about offer sheets to restricted free agents.

Is it what we need, or are we too conservator?

Montreal is definitely too conservative for a GM like that...missing the playoffs 6 straight years and not have a powerhouse to show for it wouldn't fly here :laugh:

In all seriousness he's been a terrible GM in Toronto, the only FA's he's gotten are guys that are massively overpaid(Komisarek Connolly). The Kessel trade is a screw up of monumental proportions. The Phaneuf trade is a salary dump(though Phaneuf is playing better) who is way overpaid. He overvalues his team every year and makes bad moves as a result. All this while spending a pile of money on players and front office people.

CGG 10-20-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRedKnight (Post 38189459)
Gauthier get in touch with Ottawa give them a prospect (Weber) for Neil and Konopka - make a trade for 1 defenseman with size and your set. Both these guys can play hockey and Konopka is a fine faceoff guy.

Incorrect. Only one can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRedKnight (Post 38189459)
In my fantasy world Neil-Konopka-White/Moen would be a dangerously effective and intimidating 4th line.

Effective at what? Getting scored on? Taking stupid penalties? Konopka is garbage. You have to let it go.

neofury* 10-20-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 38188975)
I don't remember 100% but I'm pretty sure Cammalleri was signed before Gionta

What I'm trying to say is that as much as Burke looks bad now with the signing of Komisarek, it's not like we knew cause we still offered him a big contract

I remember hearing Burke actually offered him 7 mil per and was even going to match the length but that Cammy wanted to play for the better team.

hototogisu 10-20-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 38189647)
I remember hearing Burke actually offered him 7 mil per and was even going to match the length but that Cammy wanted to play for the better team.

I never heard about him wanting to play for the better team. I remember he said it was because he didn't spend all year in Toronto (since he spends his off-seasons there) and that he always liked the atmosphere when he came to play against Montreal.

Monctonscout 10-20-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 38189029)
I'm not pro Burke at all just saying it's not really fair to nail the guy for the Komi signing when we offered him almost the same thing, guy wanted to leave and thank God he did

He also made some good moves, like Grabovski who he got for nothing from us and other players like Phaneuf, Gardiner, Aulie. Again Burke I don't think is the answer for this team but I do give him a bit of credit and I do think the Leafs will be a solid team in the near future.(But that's my opinion)

Komisarek was never offered anything above 4 mil to play here. I heard they had offered him 14 mil over 4 years during(or right after) the season and he turned it down. I remeber "insiders" being surprised at how much Toronto overpaid. Amstrong was another brutal signing.

How the **** did he get Grabovsky for nothing? He gave up a 2nd rounder and a prospect(Pateryn). That was a great trade for the Habs, Grabovsky wasn't working here and we may have lost him to the KHL not long after. Do you say that we gor Wisniewski for nothing last year? Because we paid less for him than Toronto did for Grabovsky.

He got Phaneuf but he has a terrible contract, that's like us trading Gomez somewhere and one of their fans saying they got him for not much in return.

Burke has been awful in Toronto, he took over a bottom team 4 years ago and wasted a pile of assets trying to make the playoffs instead of "tanking" and gettting some young star players...instead he tried to build around other teams' trash...Connolly Lombardi Lupul Phaneuf Toskala Giguere.

ClasslessGuy 10-20-2011 08:24 AM

I think a very active GM would be really popular in Montreal even if he's not sucessful... It's sad but it's the way most of the fan see how it's working.

That being said, it's not the best way to go.

neofury* 10-20-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 38189743)
I never heard about him wanting to play for the better team. I remember he said it was because he didn't spend all year in Toronto (since he spends his off-seasons there) and that he always liked the atmosphere when he came to play against Montreal.

Wait what? Because he doesn't want to spend all year in Toronto? Not sure I follow. Either way I remember the Gomez trade had something to do with the whole "better team" point I was making. One can only imagine if part of the reason somebody is signing here is due to other signings/trades... versus another team... you'd have to imagine it's because he had more faith in our squad.

Unless he really did say he didn't want to spend the full year in Toronto :laugh: I just don't recall him saying that, would like to find some links to get to the bottom of this though. Seems a lot of people heard a lot of things :laugh:

otto bond 10-20-2011 08:25 AM

Let's not be compared with the LEafs people!:rant:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.