HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Using the term "WE" when referring to our team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1009767)

capnk 10-20-2011 08:49 AM

Using the term "WE" when referring to our team

Interesting article about the use of "we" and "us" when referring to the team we follow as fans:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...hat-do-mean-we

Protest the Hero 10-20-2011 08:58 AM

I do it all the time. When I read my posts back it sounds a little weird but I don't really care enough to stop doing it.

x-bob 10-20-2011 09:02 AM

I disagree with the main point in the article. Fans have every right to use "we". There is an emotional investment in sports team that you don't really find in any other form of entertainment. The fans are a huge part of the reason why the team exists (not the only part) and they are mainly localized in the same area. This brings the fans so close to the team and makes them feel part of it.

The use of "we" is what differentiates a real fan from a casual fan. Sure, it might not be grammatically correct but does it really matter?

capnk 10-20-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protest the Hero (Post 38190795)
I do it all the time. When I read my posts back it sounds a little weird but I don't really care enough to stop doing it.

I remeber as a kid my Mom getting all uppity every time she heard someone do it. She would argue that if you don't play for the team, then you are not a part of it.
It always stuck with me and I try not to do it.
Lesson: Always listen to your Mom.

Pietraneglo222 10-20-2011 09:07 AM

If you're with the team in spirit and you cheer for them, why not?

neofury* 10-20-2011 09:14 AM

What is this elementary school? I remember some kids used to whine when I would use the "we" in elementary school saying "you aren't part of the team, it isn't we". :laugh:

Seriously some people really just need to get a life and stop nit pickery like this :laugh: This coming from a person on HF who posts as much as I do.

Agnostic 10-20-2011 09:39 AM

There's a whole pet-peeve list out there about fans who strangely create an attachment to people they associated themselves with through the TV set. It can get weird.

- the use of "we" or "us"
- the strange need to assign nicknames to everyone

I can't see going up to my dentist and calling him "Patches" or asking my mechanic "Plecky" to change my oil.

Le Tricolore 10-20-2011 09:45 AM

I hope we win tonight.

Jigger77 10-20-2011 10:17 AM

"They" just don't understand. ;)

HTTP 400 Bad Request 10-20-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnk (Post 38190539)
Interesting article about the use of "we" and "us" when referring to the team we follow as fans:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...hat-do-mean-we

"interesting" is clearly not the good word.

I was expecting some sort of sociological insight, like why do we use "we" when we talk about sport teams but we use "they" when we talk about governments...

Now, that would be interesting.

This article is full of emptiness.

capnk 10-20-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls (Post 38193929)
"interesting" is clearly not the good word.

I was expecting some sort of sociological insight, like why do we use "we" when we talk about sport teams but we use "they" when we talk about governments...

Now, that would be interesting.

This article is full of emptiness.

Well I thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

sheed36 10-20-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnk (Post 38194125)
Well I thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

I wonder if you never listened to your mom would you have found it interesting.. :)

I really hope the Pens lose to "us" tonight.. ;)

Aeneas 10-20-2011 10:49 AM

Fans tend to use sport teams as a means of self esteem, so when a team wins, and fans will say something like, "we played a great game" and even though the fan isn't actually out there it provides an emotional link that contributes to improve their self esteem, Interestingly, when a team loses a fan is more likely to separate itself saying something like " they played a horrible game, they did x wrong and y wrong" so they don't receive the negative effects towards self esteem.

i use "we" all the time referring to the habs , and i don't see anything wrong with it, if you think about it we the fans buy merchandise, tickets etc, that go towards the organization that pays their salaries, so i will use we if i damn well feel like it:)

Crimson Skorpion 10-20-2011 10:58 AM

I don't use "we" or "us". Just habit I guess.

Max Levine 10-20-2011 10:58 AM

We identify ourselves to our community. The team represents our city just like our amateur athletes represent our country. On the other hand, it's "we" when we win; "they" when they lose.

Blind Gardien 10-20-2011 11:00 AM

I favour using "we" and "us" as much as possible. What bugs me is when I mix it up with a "they" or "them" in the same post. :facepalm:

Protest the Hero 10-20-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic (Post 38192147)
There's a whole pet-peeve list out there about fans who strangely create an attachment to people they associated themselves with through the TV set. It can get weird.

- the use of "we" or "us"
- the strange need to assign nicknames to everyone

I can't see going up to my dentist and calling him "Patches" or asking my mechanic "Plecky" to change my oil.

Would you rather type out Pacioretty and Plekanec everytime? I don't use nicknames when I talk about the team in real life.

The Russian General 10-20-2011 11:36 AM

I love when people use "we" when the Habs win as in "We won". Then, when the Habs lose, they say "They lost".

Player 61 10-20-2011 11:40 AM

People who don't use "we" or think it's weird are just not from the City.

It's fine! It's like a civic pride thing. We are Montreal'ers or we are born in Canada, therefore we are Canadians.

Besides the local's/fans buy all the tix/sweaters, beer, Pizza, satellite channels, etc, just like paying taxes for infrastructure. in a way we buy into it, so we sorta own it.

Skarjak 10-20-2011 11:40 AM

This is like people trying to make rules for when you should or should not wear a jersey. Was the author of this article elected as the arbiter of all that is appropriate? Who the hell is he to say we can't use we?

Most of his arguments are terrible. Players for teams that have good fans often mention the energy they get from the "7th player". Fans certainly have an impact on the game.

He thinks that if you subsidize the team in some way, that gives you the right to use "we", but somehow, buying tickets and merchandise doesn't count? He tries to use a team without fans as an example to show fans are not needed, but fails to mention that team will never get anywhere as long as it doesn't have fans. And of course, that team needs at least some fans to function.

He says it's the only form of entertainment where we use "we", but it's clear he hasn't thought about it for more than ten seconds. Is it typical for people to buy tickets to a concert where a signer from their city competes with a singer from a rival city to outperform him? Is a competitive sport even anywhere close to being analogous to a movie? None of the other forms of entertainment he used as examples have a competitive aspect. The rivalry in sports is what makes people use "we". The team represents your city and it's trying to beat another city's team. This isn't remotely similar to any of the examples he gave.

And finally, he tells us that somehow, the notion that some fans have seen their teams relocate is proof that they can't use "we". Again, did he even think about this? The players themselves are completely powerless to stop a team from moving. Will anyone deny that they can use "we"? If we follow his logic, the only people who can use "we" are the owners of the team.

Just because he talked to one player who didn't care about his fans doesn't mean the sentiment is generalized either.

I'll be wearing my jersey and talking about how we will beat the leafs Saturday, old man yelling at clouds be damned.:pout:

And for the record, I don't see how we wouldn't have the right to nickname athletes. People nickname celebrities all the time, it's not just sport fans. I don't see why we should know them as friends before we can nickname them.

EDIT: I still use we when we lose. I should have cheered louder.

CrAzYNiNe 10-20-2011 12:05 PM

I fund the team by paying for tickets and buying merchandise. Yes these aren't stocks, but I am investing my own time and money, so saying "us" and "we" is to be expected, especially with the emotional involvement I feel when watching these games.

Bill McNeal 10-20-2011 12:42 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2OGCKoTykx...ens+Splash.jpg

^Organization approved.

24stanleycups* 10-20-2011 01:01 PM

We are as much a part of the team as the players. Without us there is no team. We give them the money they need to play. If you say "we are on a ten game losing streak", than ofcoarse you deserve to say "WE WON THE CUP!!":nod:

neofury* 10-20-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarjak (Post 38196795)
This is like people trying to make rules for when you should or should not wear a jersey. Was the author of this article elected as the arbiter of all that is appropriate? Who the hell is he to say we can't use we?

Most of his arguments are terrible. Players for teams that have good fans often mention the energy they get from the "7th player". Fans certainly have an impact on the game.

He thinks that if you subsidize the team in some way, that gives you the right to use "we", but somehow, buying tickets and merchandise doesn't count? He tries to use a team without fans as an example to show fans are not needed, but fails to mention that team will never get anywhere as long as it doesn't have fans. And of course, that team needs at least some fans to function.

He says it's the only form of entertainment where we use "we", but it's clear he hasn't thought about it for more than ten seconds. Is it typical for people to buy tickets to a concert where a signer from their city competes with a singer from a rival city to outperform him? Is a competitive sport even anywhere close to being analogous to a movie? None of the other forms of entertainment he used as examples have a competitive aspect. The rivalry in sports is what makes people use "we". The team represents your city and it's trying to beat another city's team. This isn't remotely similar to any of the examples he gave.

And finally, he tells us that somehow, the notion that some fans have seen their teams relocate is proof that they can't use "we". Again, did he even think about this? The players themselves are completely powerless to stop a team from moving. Will anyone deny that they can use "we"? If we follow his logic, the only people who can use "we" are the owners of the team.

Just because he talked to one player who didn't care about his fans doesn't mean the sentiment is generalized either.

I'll be wearing my jersey and talking about how we will beat the leafs Saturday, old man yelling at clouds be damned.:pout:

And for the record, I don't see how we wouldn't have the right to nickname athletes. People nickname celebrities all the time, it's not just sport fans. I don't see why we should know them as friends before we can nickname them.

EDIT: I still use we when we lose. I should have cheered louder.

Exactly, what I really don't get is how it actually bugs some people. Seriously you must really hate your life if things like that bother you :laugh:

Ollie Williams 10-20-2011 01:25 PM

I could make a case that without "us" there is no team. How long can a team stay in a place without fans? If without us, the fans, the team cannot live, then we are a part of this team, are we not?