HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why was Schenn sent down? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1009891)

Beacon 10-20-2011 11:31 AM

Why was Schenn sent down?

Can someone please let me know why Schen was sent down? He is one of the top prospects in the game, he's already 20 years old and he seems like he's dominant in the AHL with 8 points in 4 games.

Also, do you expect that Read and Couturier will stick in the NHL without having to go back to minors again?

Beef Invictus 10-20-2011 11:34 AM

Cap issues.

OriginJM 10-20-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 38196405)
Can someone please let me know why Schen was sent down? He is one of the top prospects in the game, he's already 20 years old and he seems like he's dominant in the AHL with 8 points in 4 games.

Also, do you expect that Read and Couturier will stick in the NHL without having to go back to minors again?

Him being sent down cut his NHL cap hit in half, by over a million.

I expect Read and Couturier to be in the NHL the entire season, and it looks like the Flyers feel the same way.

Norm MacDonald 10-20-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 38196405)

Other players were better in training camp, and he got injured.

thelos 10-20-2011 11:49 AM

Cap hit, Shelley suspension, conditioning for minor injury

sa cyred 10-20-2011 11:54 AM

Ya its a combination. Seems like the Shelly suspension was also a factor, for when Shelly wasnt suspended anymore, Schenn is called up. Him playing in the AHL also decreased his caphit by alot. He also hurt his shoulder.

DickTony 10-20-2011 11:57 AM

His contract had a clause stating that he would receive 3 million this year if he was to play in all 82 games this season. With Shelley's suspension, this was impossible to fit under the cap at the beginning of the year. Since he started off the year in the AHL, his cap hit is now somewhere around 1.6 million, which is clearly more manageable.

Read is leading all rookies in scoring and has looked great thus far. Couturier has been one of our strongest defensive forwards, killing penalties and playing during most key defensive segments. Barring a major fall off from either one, they should be here to stay, especially Couturier, who is not eligible for the AHL this season.

Beacon 10-20-2011 01:49 PM

Thanks for the answers. I was curious what happened. I thought he'd be a shoe-in.

DrinkFightFlyers 10-20-2011 01:55 PM

Wells Fargo Center was built on an indian burial ground...

FreshPerspective 10-20-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickTony (Post 38197551)
His contract had a clause stating that he would receive 3 million this year if he was to play in all 82 games this season. With Shelley's suspension, this was impossible to fit under the cap at the beginning of the year. Since he started off the year in the AHL, his cap hit is now somewhere around 1.6 million, which is clearly more manageable.

Read is leading all rookies in scoring and has looked great thus far. Couturier has been one of our strongest defensive forwards, killing penalties and playing during most key defensive segments. Barring a major fall off from either one, they should be here to stay, especially Couturier, who is not eligible for the AHL this season.

Couts also leads all rookies in special teams ice time I believe...

Larry44 10-20-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 38202485)
Thanks for the answers. I was curious what happened. I thought he'd be a shoe-in.

He was until the shoulder injury, but he would've been sent down for at least a game anyway for the cap reduction. It gave them a chance to see more of Couturier, and they likee..

Given the great starts of new blood like Couts, Read, Simmonds, Voracek Bryzgalov and Jagr (and Rinaldo and Harry Z too), it makes sense now to bring up Schenn and further improve the roster.