HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Injury Report: Kimmo Timonen, sore right arm, questionable for tomorrow (practiced Friday) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1010645)

MiamiScreamingEagles 10-21-2011 10:39 AM

Kimmo Timonen, sore right arm, questionable for tomorrow (practiced Friday)

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...ing-sore-hand/

Quote:

After the game, the 36-year-old native of Finland was still sore enough that there was no assurance he’ll be available for the Flyers’ next game, Saturday at home against the St. Louis Blues.

“Well, we’ll see,” said Timonen, who was banged up in his 900th career NHL game. “It’ hardly anything serious, but it is sore, I’ll tell you that.”

The Flyers can’t afford to lose Timonen, who along with captain Chris Pronger is one of their best shutdown defensemen. Timonen began the night tied for fourth in the league with 18 blocked shots. The blocked shot that injured his arm was his only one against the Caps, who scored three quick goals early in the third period to break open what had been a tight contest.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 10-21-2011 10:41 AM

Lilja-Walker would be painful to watch

FreshPerspective 10-21-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 38252951)

Probably a deep bruise.....I can imagine the discomfort having had a similar injury. Hopefully he is not out too long...

czechmate25 10-21-2011 10:55 AM

Most of the coaches in the league are all about their players blocking shots....many of the fans love to see that too.

I'm not one of those fans.

Who expects their teams goalie to score goals? Goalies are protected from head to toe to do a job, which is stopping pucks.

If goalies aren't expected to score goals, why are skaters expected to stop pucks?

All it leads to is injuries.

I get the importance of blocking shots but it needs to be done correctly. Remaining on your skates and getting in the shooting lanes is one thing.....laying out on the ice to block a shot is another.

If a player in un-able to block a shot with his shin pads while remaining in an up right position, get the hell out of the way and let the goalie do the job he was signed to do.

It's not like there is some joke in net who needs to get bailed out by his players every game. The team went out and got the best goalie available in the off season, he is more than capable of stopping those shots without getting injured.

DrinkFightFlyers 10-21-2011 11:07 AM

Eh, as long as it's short term I'm not too worried. We can compensate for a bad third pairing for a handful of games.

JDinkalage Morgoone 10-21-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czechmate25 (Post 38253457)
Most of the coaches in the league are all about their players blocking shots....many of the fans love to see that too.

Who expects their teams goalie to score goals? Goalies are protected from head to toe to do a job, which is stopping pucks.

If goalies aren't expected to score goals, why are skaters expected to stop pucks?

I get the importance of blocking shots but it needs to be done correctly. Remaining on your skates and getting in the shooting lanes is one thing.....laying out on the ice to block a shot is another.

If a player in un-able to block a shot with his shin pads while remaining in an up right position, get the hell out of the way and let the goalie do the job he was signed to do.

It's not like there is some joke in net who needs to get bailed out by his players every game. The team went out and got the best goalie available in the off season, he is more than capable of stopping those shots without getting injured.

I couldn't disagree more.

kimmofan44 10-21-2011 11:21 AM

i was at the game and saw the blocked shot up close and personal, i watched him on the bench for a couple minutes and knew he was in massive amounts of pain. he was slumped over hanging an arm over the bench for a couple minutes. no surprise he might miss a couple games, just hope he doesn't get another blood clot!!! we need you kimmo!!! walker lilja equals penalties and bad descisions with the puck!

sa cyred 10-21-2011 11:23 AM

That third pairing might be the slowest 3rd pairing in the whole entire league.

Giroux tha Damaja 10-21-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

A lot of teams don't expect their goalies to score goals, but they do expect them to reliably distribute dumped pucks to the defense men quickly to facilitate a quick transition. In short, everybody's job is to do everything they can to help a team win, with no exceptions. Kimmo is doing, and does, a bang-up job.

Blocking shots leads to injuries, and less goals against. It also promotes a culture of doing anything to win, camaraderie and sacrifice . . . champion type ****.

Quote:

The correct way to block a shot is however the hell you can get to it. He got to it. What's more, this was not a shot he blocked that wasn't a high percentage scoring chance. He didn't dive head first in front of a wrister from the point, it was a one timer from the slot if I recall.

RJ8812 10-21-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers (Post 38252987)

no way it happens

each of them would be paired with either Coburn or Mezsaros

SeanVT395 10-21-2011 12:03 PM

http://chanarchive.org/content/25_sp...3015242108.jpg

Beef Invictus 10-21-2011 12:43 PM

And lo, the mighty Timonen was struck down, and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

http://www.radionewjerusalem.com/Cat...d_grinding.jpg

Larry44 10-21-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers (Post 38252987)

Carle-Pronger
Coburn-Walker
Lilja-Meszaros

Not bad, really.

Prongo 10-21-2011 01:01 PM

Time to trade for Suter

RoDu 10-21-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 38257651)
Carle-Pronger
Coburn-Walker
Lilja-Meszaros

Not bad, really.

anyone with Walker is just bad

RJ8812 10-21-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 38262921)
anyone with Walker is just bad

meh, walker is your typical 6th/7th defenseman. ya, he played bad last game, but he has good games and bad games

sa cyred 10-21-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 38257651)
Carle-Pronger
Coburn-Walker
Lilja-Meszaros

Not bad, really.

Considering Lilja and Meszaros was TERRIBLE last night, leaving them together and hoping Walker can cover even a percentage of what Timonen does will be bad.

sa cyred 10-21-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 38263053)
meh, walker is your typical 6th/7th defenseman. ya, he played bad last game, but he has good games and bad games

Ya but we are going to have 2 typical 6th/7th d-men in there.

RJ8812 10-21-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 38263093)

meh, injuries happen. if any team loses a top defenseman, they're going to have 2 typical 6th/7th defenseman in their line-up

you just hope for the best

DrinkFightFlyers 10-21-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 38263093)

Two typical 6/7 D-men is not that much worse than one typical 5/6 and one typical 6/7 that most teams have. Normally our third pairing is better than that, but we can certainly survive a short stint of Walker-Lilja or another combo of our corps. I know that everyone thinks Walker is the worst defenseman in the history of the game, but he really is not that bad. He isn't a superstar by any means, but aside from his contract, he is a perfectly fine third pairing/extra defenseman. Him filling in for Kimmo or another injured player is about on par with any other 7th dman filling in for another injured player on another team. That's why these players are seventh defenseman and not starters.

Larry44 10-21-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 38263891)
Two typical 6/7 D-men is not that much worse than one typical 5/6 and one typical 6/7 that most teams have. Normally our third pairing is better than that, but we can certainly survive a short stint of Walker-Lilja or another combo of our corps. I know that everyone thinks Walker is the worst defenseman in the history of the game, but he really is not that bad. He isn't a superstar by any means, but aside from his contract, he is a perfectly fine third pairing/extra defenseman. Him filling in for Kimmo or another injured player is about on par with any other 7th dman filling in for another injured player on another team. That's why these players are seventh defenseman and not starters.

This is it. Walker's contract aside, like most teams, when a starter goes down you get either a subpar player, an inexperience rookie or an old vet.... We've got two vets to choose from in the 6/7 slot.

SolidSnakeUS 10-21-2011 04:22 PM

Thank god it's only this bad though. Not as bad as I thought it was.

Hockeypete49 10-21-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 38257093)
And lo, the mighty Timonen was struck down, and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

http://www.radionewjerusalem.com/Cat...d_grinding.jpg

Very Good:laugh:

MiamiScreamingEagles 10-21-2011 04:53 PM

He practiced today, could play tomorrow. A decision will be made Saturday.

Giroux tha Damaja 10-21-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 38266639)
He practiced today, could play tomorrow. A decision will be made Saturday.

It's Kimmo. He's playing.