HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Can we get a grinder for MZA? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1011235)

Beacon 10-21-2011 11:39 PM

Can we get a grinder for MZA?

It's clear that MZA is not fitting in with the Rangers. I would love to replace him with another player who would be a good fit on the third/fourth line. Any thoughts on what kind of a grinder we can get for him?

Could we get someone like Colby Armstrong? Settle for someone like Chris Neil? Or we can't get any top-12 player?

* If the other team wants him, they can also get WW in addition to MZA. There might be a team that has no scoring that would be willing to add WW and MZA.

hpNYR 10-21-2011 11:40 PM

MZA would be a tremendous fit on a team like Detroit.

Stepanformayor* 10-21-2011 11:47 PM

MZA would not fit in Detroit because he is not a top six forward in this leauge right now and can not defend in his own end and Detroit prides themselves on there defensive play.

nyrleetch 10-21-2011 11:53 PM

There's a guy in hartford named Sean Avery if you're looking for a 3rd or 4th liner.

nyrleetch 10-21-2011 11:53 PM

I'd keep onto MZA. Give him a shot in the top 6.

Also i'd call up Avery lol.

hpNYR 10-21-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stepanformayor (Post 38285779)
MZA would not fit in Detroit because he is not a top six forward in this leauge right now and can not defend in his own end and Detroit prides themselves on there defensive play.

MZA would fit Detroit's puck possession hockey. He's a guy who makes plays with the puck but in this Torts' system he is often forced to dump and chase and play along the boards. Of course he also hasn't gotten the top 6 minutes. Every team has 1 or 2 guys who aren't "polished" defensively.

This coming from a Torts' supporter.

thrillermiller89 10-21-2011 11:59 PM

rangers lines should just be this

avery/wolski--richards--gaborik
dubinsky--stepan--callahan
fedotenko--anisimov--mza
rupp--boyle--prust

district9 10-22-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 (Post 38286017)

fedotenko--anisimov--mza
rupp--boyle--prust

look great on paper but stepan didn't fit in with the pack line. they tried it in training camp and there was no chemistry. you have to keep that line together. unless you want stepan to be playing 3rd line minutes you have to keep him as the top line left winger

thrillermiller89 10-22-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petejudge (Post 38286167)
look great on paper but stepan didn't fit in with the pack line. they tried it in training camp and there was no chemistry. you have to keep that line together. unless you want stepan to be playing 3rd line minutes you have to keep him as the top line left winger

i was unaware of that.

thanks

Pizza 10-22-2011 12:14 AM

Though I'm not yet ready to give up on him, I was wondering how long it would take to see this thread. He's not had a big impact at the NHL level, so I don't think we'd get much coming back for him.

Stepanformayor* 10-22-2011 12:14 AM

Why would you move Stepan off the first line? That line has been great since he has been there. His job has been to be a physical presence on that line and he leads the team in hits. His numbers may go down because of bthis but he has been great there!!

Fataldogg 10-22-2011 12:21 AM

Ok, isn't it enough that lines 2, 3, and 4 consist of mostly grinders? Even Callahan and Dubinsky who do have legitimate offensive talent are more grinders with skill than anything else. The Rangers have more than their share of grinders. Shouldn't even be considered.

donpaulo 10-22-2011 01:37 AM

not sure what kind of "grinder" the OP would target for MZA who hasn't really proved much at the NHL level of yet.

with 23 points in 42 games played last year at this point he appears to be a skill distributing player with say 45 point skill. Maybe with the right program and continuing development he can be much more but at this point that is his "market" value. If that...

so I am not sure who Sather gets in return for him.

Personally I feel that waiving Weise was a big mistake and obviously Vancouver agrees with me as that team apparently has coveted him for a few seasons now. He was that "grinder" and paid his dues in the system. I also think it was a mistake to bring back Fedotenko over say Weise as Feds has the experience but is not anywhere near to part of the kid movement for NY.

Having said that, which team wants a 5 foot 9 inch skill distributing guy in the NHL ?

Cbus could use him, then again the Jackets appears to be circling the toilet. Prospal has already lost patience with the losing over there.

Nashville already has plenty of 50 point forwards.

Tampa already has Marty Saint Louis

the list of teams that would want a Zuc is not very long. Then they have to have a guy that fits NY's needs (in this case a grinder)

not saying its impossible, just unlikely

BlueshirtBlitz 10-22-2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fataldogg (Post 38286531)
Ok, isn't it enough that lines 2, 3, and 4 consist of mostly grinders? Even Callahan and Dubinsky who do have legitimate offensive talent are more grinders with skill than anything else. The Rangers have more than their share of grinders. Shouldn't even be considered.

Torts doesn't know what to do with MZA as much as I like him as the coach, and when MZA doesn't wrack up points playing with grinders everybody turns on him.

Vitto79 10-22-2011 03:56 AM

whether we like it or not he will be moved out at some point this yr. Likely for a Dman

Wolski getting hurt screwed Zuke. He was set to play with Stepan.

At this point I hope he tears it up in the minors and they send him to a team that stinks like Winnipeg where he can get ice time.

BBKers 10-22-2011 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 38288933)
whether we like it or not he will be moved out at some point this yr. Likely for a Dman

Wolski getting hurt screwed Zuke. He was set to play with Stepan.

At this point I hope he tears it up in the minors and they send him to a team that stinks like Winnipeg where he can get ice time.

Nailed it right there:

This wouldīve been the ideal (with everyone healthy) lineup imo - on paper at least:

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
PACK line
Boyle - Stepan - Zuc
Feds/Rupp - Avery :amazed: - Prust

Newbury or Mitchell as an eventual 14th spare
Christ traded or waived

But this we will never see
Wouldīve worked cap wise too - with or without a 14th FWD...
Both Staal being out & Wolski injured disrupted things in the lineup more than we might be thought to believe
Will be interesting to see what happens further on up the road

jaywills1020 10-22-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fataldogg (Post 38286531)

thank you. guys need to realize that this team is nothing but grinders. we need the skilled guys like MZA. everyone loves the blue collar players but a team full of them will not win us a cup. plain and simple. i love callahan but he really doesnt have any skill. hes a north south player that shoots everything he gets on his stick. again i love him but a team of callahans will not win a cup.

SirKillalot 10-22-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stepanformayor (Post 38285779)

You can say what you want, but if you take a look at the first two games in Stockholm, you could see that Zuccarello was the first forward back on almost all occasions when he was on the ice. No, he's not going to bully people in the defensive zone, pick-pocket yes.

How many times did Anaheim get a two-on-one in that game? 5-6?

Chimp 10-22-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirKillalot (Post 38292281)
You can say what you want, but if you take a look at the first two games in Stockholm, you could see that Zuccarello was the first forward back on almost all occasions when he was on the ice. No, he's not going to bully people in the defensive zone, pick-pocket yes.

How many times did Anaheim get a two-on-one in that game? 5-6?

Don't mind them, they haven't re-assessed their evaluations from last season. And even then, he was pretty good at backchecking.

I think the injury to Wolski hit the nail on the head, Zuccarello was supposed to play with Fedotenko and Stepan/ Wolski. That injury screwed up the lines. Zuke got the short end of the stick. Let's see what happens when Wolski is back. I do hope a team like Detroit could get their hands on him, he would be much better utilized there then he will ever be in New York. Systematic, untalented grinding takes its toll on players that want creativity.

ncmike 10-22-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 (Post 38286017)

fedotenko--anisimov--mza
rupp--boyle--prust

I would rather see;

Stepan/Richards/Gaborik
MZA/AA/Callahan
Dubinsky/Boyle/Prust
Fedotenko/Rupp/????(anyone)

Superstar Carwash 10-22-2011 11:33 AM

Why would we want another grinder? We have Boyle, Prust, Rupp, Newbury and Hagelin, Avery and others in CT.

If we were to move MZA, send him in a package for a top6 LW or a 4/5 defenseman.

Jumbo* 10-22-2011 11:45 AM

Another grinder??

Why do we need another one? Almost our entire bottom 9 are grinders. We dont need anymore.

Is it so bad to have a very skilled offensive tool in the minors in case an injury bug hits?

Or how about he earns himself a callup again, and we give him 2nd line minutes and someone (say Dubinsky) who is struggling in the 2nd line spot should go to the 3rd line.

MZA should not be moved. I understand some posters dont like him because he is short or whatever, but thats not a reason. His defense is not that bad enough that it cost us anything and unlike other players, he looks and tries to improve himself.

Im praying he gets another callup this season and proves a lot of people wrong, hopefully proving to Sather to give him an extension.

Vitto79 10-22-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1983 (Post 38295255)
Another grinder??

Why do we need another one? Almost our entire bottom 9 are grinders. We dont need anymore.

Is it so bad to have a very skilled offensive tool in the minors in case an injury bug hits?

Or how about he earns himself a callup again, and we give him 2nd line minutes and someone (say Dubinsky) who is struggling in the 2nd line spot should go to the 3rd line.

MZA should not be moved. I understand some posters dont like him because he is short or whatever, but thats not a reason. His defense is not that bad enough that it cost us anything and unlike other players, he looks and tries to improve himself.

Im praying he gets another callup this season and proves a lot of people wrong, hopefully proving to Sather to give him an extension.

I think we all would love that but come the deadline if he isnt back and producing he should be part of a package for either a Dman or a LW

iamitter 10-22-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKers (Post 38289349)
Nailed it right there:

This wouldīve been the ideal (with everyone healthy) lineup imo - on paper at least:

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
PACK line
Boyle - Stepan - Zuc
Feds/Rupp - Avery :amazed: - Prust

Newbury or Mitchell as an eventual 14th spare
Christ traded or waived

But this we will never see
Wouldīve worked cap wise too - with or without a 14th FWD...
Both Staal being out & Wolski injured disrupted things in the lineup more than we might be thought to believe
Will be interesting to see what happens further on up the road

So one of Fedotenko and Rupp would be scratched... but not Avery?

NHRangerfan 10-22-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 38286379)
Though I'm not yet ready to give up on him, I was wondering how long it would take to see this thread. He's not had a big impact at the NHL level, so I don't think we'd get much coming back for him.

The kid was Top 6 in PPG production on this team last year...how many more grinders do we need?