HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Sharks Prospect thread 5.0 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1012487)

LadyStanley 10-23-2011 03:36 PM

Sharks Prospect thread 5.0
 
Previous thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=841211


Reserved for Nem's #s

LadyStanley 10-23-2011 03:38 PM

http://www.examiner.com/colorado-eag...surge-too-late
Heemskerk makes pro debut with a win over ECHL Colorado.

stalockrox 10-25-2011 10:43 AM

Sgarbossa, Hamilton & JP Anderson have been named to "Team OHL" which will play in the Canada/Russia Subway Super Series.

http://www.sudburywolves.com/article...ed-to-team-ohl

http://www.stmichaelsmajors.com/arti...y-super-series

(Rosters are listed at the end of the St. Michaels article)

LadyStanley 10-29-2011 11:32 AM

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...r+Headlines%29

Heemskerk will be platooning with the ECHL Thunder's (Oilers prospect) goalie Roy, for now. There may come a time when a clear #1 appears, but both will get a lot of work.

(Heemskerk has the franchise's only win of the season.)

SpinTheBlackCircle 10-29-2011 01:02 PM

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/11...s/makfosu1.o28

2 goals and an assist for Chris Crane last nite.

5 goals and 3 assists in 8 games.

LadyStanley 10-29-2011 06:57 PM

http://portlandtribune.com/sports/st...92464501657400

Quote:

Defenseman William Wrenn had two assists, giving him his second multi-point night in the past three games.

LadyStanley 10-29-2011 07:01 PM

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...aw_with_umass/

Quote:

BU (2-2-1, 1-1-1 Hockey East) might derive some self-satisfaction from the fact that it came back from a 2-0 second-period deficit. The Terriers have Matt Nieto to thank for that.

Though it was Sahir Gill who tied the game at 5:16 of the third period, Nieto was the one who got BU back into the game - and not just on the scoreboard.
...
Then, with just over five minutes left in the [second] period, UMass went on a breakaway. Kieran Millan made the save, and seconds later Nieto took a lead pass on a two-on-one breakout and beat Kevin Boyle to close the gap.

“That certainly got us going,’’ said BU coach Jack Parker. “We’d just given up a breakaway on a stupid play, but instead of going down, 3-0, it was 2-1, thanks to Nieto.’’
...
As for Nieto, you might as well pencil him in for 34 goals this season - one for each game - and no doubt a bunch more in the postseason. The Terriers have played five contests, and the sophomore forward out of Long Beach, Calif., has scored in each one.

SpinTheBlackCircle 10-29-2011 10:26 PM

1 more goal, 2 more assists for Nieto.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/11...s/mbu_uma1.o29

TheJuxtaposer 10-29-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle (Post 38694697)
1 more goal, 2 more assists for Nieto.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/11...s/mbu_uma1.o29

Dayum.

Patty Ice 10-30-2011 04:34 AM

I tried to tell you guys that he should have been a top 3 guy on our prospect poll. He's a big time talent and might be the Sharks next star. Of course, the year is still young but I doubt this is just a Seto-esque hot streak.

Hertl Power 10-30-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Ice (Post 38708623)
I tried to tell you guys that he should have been a top 3 guy on our prospect poll. He's a big time talent and might be the Sharks next star. Of course, the year is still young but I doubt this is just a Seto-esque hot streak.

I can't answer for others but for myself, I am perfectly fine misjudging talent if it is because they are much better than I give them credit for.

Janney 10-30-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Ice (Post 38708623)
I tried to tell you guys that he should have been a top 3 guy on our prospect poll. He's a big time talent and might be the Sharks next star. Of course, the year is still young but I doubt this is just a Seto-esque hot streak.

What's his game like outside of an offensive role? Even if he doesn't pan out offensively, are there other qualities that may earn him some type of a pivotal role? Hockey smarts or defense perhaps?

Patty Ice 10-30-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by param (Post 38709581)
What's his game like outside of an offensive role? Even if he doesn't pan out offensively, are there other qualities that may earn him some type of a pivotal role? Hockey smarts or defense perhaps?

He's not one-dimensional if that is what you want to know. I don't think he's a future Selke winner but I think his ceiling is a Paul Kariya type (key word being ceiling...his shot is not at Kariya's level). He definitely has other attributes that will see him a full time NHL player even if his offense should not translate as well to the NHL level.

stalockrox 10-30-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Ice (Post 38710363)
He's not one-dimensional if that is what you want to know. I don't think he's a future Selke winner but I think his ceiling is a Paul Kariya type (key word being ceiling...his shot is not at Kariya's level). He definitely has other attributes that will see him a full time NHL player even if his offense should not translate as well to the NHL level.

i agree, he's definitely not a one dimensional player. He already plays in all situations (PP, PK) and has been very good all over the ice. I also don't think this is just an early season 'hot streak' as he ended last season the same way.

He's also a great skater with game breaking speed...so ya, if his goal scoring doesn't translate to the pro level, he should still be able to turn himself into a decent NHLer.

LadyStanley 10-30-2011 01:00 PM

Heemskerk notched ECHL Stockton's first home win of the season (4-3). (He's got the team's two wins of the season in his two starts.)

Kitten Mittons 10-30-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle (Post 38694697)
1 more goal, 2 more assists for Nieto.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/11...s/mbu_uma1.o29

2 goals 3 assists over the weekend (2 games). GPG so far (6 games).

TheJuxtaposer 10-30-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Ice (Post 38708623)
I tried to tell you guys that he should have been a top 3 guy on our prospect poll. He's a big time talent and might be the Sharks next star. Of course, the year is still young but I doubt this is just a Seto-esque hot streak.

Hey, I was singing his praises at the end of last season (I made a huge post about him in the previous prospects thread) because I saw like 4 or 5 BU games from then, and I was really impressed.

ThorntonFan19 10-31-2011 01:45 AM

If i remember correctly Nieto was 5'11" when drafted. Now he's 6'. If he continues to get taller i really think he could be something special.

He and Coyle have great chemistry. Really makes me miss Coyle.

Rogie21 10-31-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalockrox (Post 38711885)
i agree, he's definitely not a one dimensional player. He already plays in all situations (PP, PK) and has been very good all over the ice. I also don't think this is just an early season 'hot streak' as he ended last season the same way.

He's also a great skater with game breaking speed...so ya, if his goal scoring doesn't translate to the pro level, he should still be able to turn himself into a decent NHLer.

Check this sequence from Friday’s game that begins with a UMass breakaway and you’ll see Nieto (#17) backchecking and intercepting a centering pass following the initial save. Then follow him up ice for a goal. Turning point of the game.

Link to video highlights of BU’s games this season.

Nieto was cut from the Jr. National Team evaluation roster last summer. His recent play should earn him reconsideration.

LadyStanley 10-31-2011 12:40 PM

ljmoffie 8:47am via Twitter for iPhone I would like to announce that Jeff Rohrkemper and I will be running for LSA student body president and vice president #HappyHalloween




Moffie the politician? :sarcasm:

OverTheLine 11-01-2011 10:12 AM

Freddie Hamilton seems to be putting up some pretty superb numbers in the OHL; I'm surprised I hear so little about him. 10 G 15 A in 15 games.

magic school bus 11-01-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 (Post 38750245)
If i remember correctly Nieto was 5'11" when drafted. Now he's 6'. If he continues to get taller i really think he could be something special.

He and Coyle have great chemistry. Really makes me miss Coyle.

Me too. :cry:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Ice (Post 38708623)
I tried to tell you guys that he should have been a top 3 guy on our prospect poll. He's a big time talent and might be the Sharks next star. Of course, the year is still young but I doubt this is just a Seto-esque hot streak.

I just remember there being a lot of hype around him going into his draft year, and his stock dropped into round 2. no doubt left a bad taste in my mouth.

and i have to look at Mitchell every game, and he was once the speedy college guy with the good numbers.

TheJuxtaposer 11-01-2011 03:50 PM

A ton of guys that would have been on Team Canada for the WJC are staying the NHL, it seems (Couturier, Smith-Pelly, Johansen, RNH) so I bet Hamilton and Sgarbossa get serious looks.

magic school bus 11-01-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer (Post 38811325)
A ton of guys that would have been on Team Canada for the WJC are staying the NHL, it seems (Couturier, Smith-Pelly, Johansen, RNH) so I bet Hamilton and Sgarbossa get serious looks.

Bob Mac tweeted about the Wild prospect, Bulmer, getting some looks after he made the NHL team and was sent back to juniors. Even with all the early promotions, Canada has a tough group to crack. Still, great news for their chances like you said.

LadyStanley 11-06-2011 01:45 AM

http://www.stocktonthunder.com/2011/...owds-out-utah/
Heemskerk notches another win; named #2 SOTG


Edit:
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...r+Headlines%29
Three starts, 3 wins (and the team's only wins) - getting more offensive support than other goalie.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.