HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ryan Wilson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1012871)

luiginb 10-24-2011 07:27 AM

Ryan Wilson

Lately, I've been watching a lot of Avs games, and this is a player that impressed me with his play on D.

I see that he was never drafted, even though he posted some serious numbers in the O, as an 18-year old. What was the knock on him?

Stories 10-24-2011 07:59 AM

Skating. He's slow slow slow.

wej20 10-24-2011 08:46 AM

is he the one who is beast in EHM 2007?

Ilkin 10-24-2011 08:46 AM

Sometimes he commits himself to a check and loses his player. But it's better this year. And his skating too.

Ivan13 10-24-2011 08:52 AM

He improved his skating by a lot and he's one of the most entertaining guys to watch, because of this:

windflare 10-24-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 38395247)
is he the one who is beast in EHM 2007?

Yep.

Good offensive skills, but there were serious questions about whether he can transfer those skills to the NHL. The main concerns were footspeed and agility, and defensive awareness.

Freudian 10-24-2011 11:32 AM

Sneakiest hitter in the league. He backs up and sucks you in until he has the perfect distance. Then he lunges forward and crushes you.

Likable player and better offensively than most think. But when over his head he struggles and when he loses his confidence he is really bad.

As long as he gets 17-18 minutes without the toughest matchups, I think he'll look good.

Mathletic 10-24-2011 11:36 AM

you can check an old thread I started on the Avs board

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=796678

newfy 10-24-2011 12:02 PM

He was brutal in his own zone with Sarnia and for how offensive he was, he often made bad passes that led to turnovers and scoring chances.

I had season tickets for the sting back then and I still cant believe how far he has come in that period of time.

He was always a physical beast though thats for sure,

R S 10-24-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stories (Post 38394327)
Skating. He's slow slow slow.

No, he's not really that slow.

In all reality he's probably the most underrated blueliner the Avs have right now.

He's known for his physical play. Might be one of the top 5-10 open ice hitters in the entire NHL. He will fight and stick up for teammates.

His offensive game is also starting to show alot more this year. He's a very good passer and can start a breakout just fine. Has a great shot, just doesn't get to use it enough.

His biggest weakness is his feet and side to side mobility. Can be exposed a bit in his own zone because of it. I definitely wouldn't call him slow, though.

luiginb 10-24-2011 12:42 PM

Thank you, everybody! In the limited view I had of him this year, I didn't notice his lack of speed, tbh, but usually that is why junior players with good numbers don't get drafted. This or size.

bruinsfan46 10-24-2011 07:04 PM

Skating was his obvious weakness in juniors, he's not that slow just not very agile. He also was very prone to getting beat at bad times, Wilson would play games for the Sting where for his first 34 minutes he was excellent, QB'ing the powerplay and hammering people in the open ice but in his 35th minute he'd get beat badly for a game tying/game winning goal with 30 seconds left. It was partially MacQueen's fault for not letting him come off the ice.

Canuck71 10-24-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 38401609)
No, he's not really that slow.

In all reality he's probably the most underrated blueliner the Avs have right now.

He's known for his physical play. Might be one of the top 5-10 open ice hitters in the entire NHL. He will fight and stick up for teammates.

His offensive game is also starting to show alot more this year. He's a very good passer and can start a breakout just fine. Has a great shot, just doesn't get to use it enough.

His biggest weakness is his feet and side to side mobility. Can be exposed a bit in his own zone because of it. I definitely wouldn't call him slow, though.

This.

Wilson does have an underrated offensive game though and is a threat for sure when he has time on the blueline. The knock on him in junior was skating, side to side mobility, and decision making. He has all the tools to be a solid offensive contributor from the point in the NHL.