HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How amazing was Keith Primeau? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1012887)

The Fuhr 10-24-2011 07:48 AM

How amazing was Keith Primeau?

I remember the one playoff series he had vs the Toronto Maple Leafs back in 04 that really sticks out to me... was just flat out dominant at both ends of the ice.

What an incredible talent. Amazing player

dats81 10-24-2011 08:06 AM

Great player and great as a person as well.
Way underrated. Always showed up in the playoffs!

markzab 10-24-2011 08:13 AM

Kev, this is more like it...

The Fuhr 10-24-2011 08:27 AM

Thx Mark... that video is sick

BrindamoursNose 10-24-2011 12:58 PM

I'm going to be in the minority here and say he was overrated. One great playoff run doesn't cancel out losing Brind'amour in my mind.

BWAVgal 10-24-2011 01:11 PM

Definitely thought that year that he was going to have us lifting our 3rd Cup.

BobbyClarkeFan16 10-24-2011 01:14 PM

Primeau was a hack and a locker room snitch. On top of it, he had one good playoff run here and all of a sudden, it's like he's the second coming of Mark Messier.

Not a fan of Keith Primeau at all - completely overrated and not afraid to throw teammates and coaches under the bus. There's a reason why he's burned every bridge with every franchise he was previously with. If his melon would have withstood the abuse, he probably would have found a way to burn a bridge here.

DrinkFightFlyers 10-24-2011 01:23 PM

I loved Keith Primeau but his legend appears to grow every year. He was a hard-nosed player who gave his all every time out on the ice, but he really wasn't the player people make him out to be.

RJ8812 10-24-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose (Post 38403611)
I'm going to be in the minority here and say he was overrated. One great playoff run doesn't cancel out losing Brind'amour in my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 (Post 38404201)
Primeau was a hack and a locker room snitch. On top of it, he had one good playoff run here and all of a sudden, it's like he's the second coming of Mark Messier.

Not a fan of Keith Primeau at all - completely overrated and not afraid to throw teammates and coaches under the bus. There's a reason why he's burned every bridge with every franchise he was previously with. If his melon would have withstood the abuse, he probably would have found a way to burn a bridge here.

yup.

Primeau was a good player, but nothing special. After that one good playoff run, so many Flyers fans started acting like he was the 2nd coming of Christ. Unfortuantely that was his only dominant stretch of hockey he played in his career, but for some reason many Flyers fans forget the rest of his time here, and it was nothing special. Saying he always showed up for the playoffs is not true either considering his playoffs numbers arent all that impressive

It sucks the way his career had to end though

GKJ 10-24-2011 03:56 PM

I'm in the overrated camp. Considering that team accomplishments were lesser than that of Mike Richards, who has apparently become reviled.

In 2000-01, he had a career year, and then tried to come back against Buffalo with what was rumored to be a serious knee injury.

In 03-04, he was in fact amazing against Toronto and Tampa Bay. At least a home. If he could have brought the same type of domination in road games (since he gets credit for such, but I'm not saying that was all on him) against Toronto and Tampa Bay, things would have been a lot easier. Just as it would have been nice if there wasn't so many injuries. The straw that broke the camel's back was when Marcus Ragnarsson got hurt. Wish he would have stuck it out with us after the lockout for a few years.

He was missed the most the first year out of the lockout when he took a cheap shot from Alexander Perezhogin.

He was a valiant captain and leader while he was here, considering that his captaincy was during the Lindros-mess, Desjardins resignation, and coaching carousel. But I don't think he was more "special" than someone such as Mike Peca was for other teams.

tytech 10-24-2011 04:18 PM

I remember Primeau had 9 points one year. Yes, he was a defensive shut down centerman, but still. 9 points? He had one good playoff and part of the reason why we thought it was so amazing was because he didn't do anything for us up until that point.

I enjoyed that run against Toronto but it upset me to know he could play like that but never did.

Now, he lives on in Philly as a captain that put the team on his shoulders for a round or two. Come on. OVERRATED.

joescores 10-24-2011 04:19 PM

I am a Jets fan, but he was like one of the heroes from 300 movie. He was a proper battler, winner, loved the way he celebrated the goals- mainly in the finnals v Lightning!. Could never understandwhy he was ommited from team Canada in Olympics, was crying when he retired! Goodluck this season Philly- I am a huge Simmonds supporter, also got Shenn on my pool

kicksave27 10-24-2011 04:49 PM

Had one of the best playoff runs I've seen in recent memory. But other than that and the OT playoff goal on a move that never worked on any conscience Dman, he was fairly meh.

PhillyFlying 10-24-2011 05:14 PM

i do appreciate everything keith did for the team and have fond memories of the '04 playoffs. alas, even if they had the heart they didn't get it done. it's weird to imagine what that team would've looked like if we kept brind'amour, or if he would've put us over the edge against NJ in 2000.

great video though. i love revisiting the '04 playoff games.

MiamiScreamingEagles 10-24-2011 05:27 PM

Good points by both sides. His 2004 playoff run was one of the best by a forward in team history and could be the best since the last Cup.

If Tim Kerr's hand wasn't slashed late in the 1989 run, his PO could have been the best by a Flyers' player since the Cup years. 24 points in the first 12 games, 1 point in the final seven.

SolidSnakeUS 10-24-2011 05:55 PM

Great captain and even though he wasn't a big points guy, he was CLUTCH!

Buckets and Gloves 10-24-2011 06:52 PM

Keith Primeau was one of my favorite players of all time.

He was a horse in 04.

RIPRichardsCarter 10-24-2011 08:47 PM

Underrated by all other teams, overrated by people who were under 18 in the late 90's/early 2000's

SaveHextall 10-24-2011 08:49 PM

He was an absolute beats in 2 round of the 04 playoffs but other than that he had some abysmal scoring droughts.

Thats why you dont see tons of fans wearing his jersey IMO.

thephillyflu 10-24-2011 09:47 PM

I think Briere's run was even better. With jack and **** as linesmates he scored goals, made assists, and grew when it was the most important. While our other leading players stagnated a little little bit in the finals Briere was AMAZING. How many points was Toews before Briere before the finals? How many points did Briere do btw, in the 6 games against Chicago? Has got to be something like 13... And a lot of goals.

thephillyflu 10-24-2011 09:49 PM

And on the Primeau subject, Brind'Amour was the much better player. We would've gotten our cup if we kept Brind'Amour. I thought it was ridiculous when Cam Ward got Brind'Amour's Conn Smythe, but I guess he didn't do enough points (only 1 per game, hehe).

flyershockey 10-24-2011 10:34 PM

He was incredible in the 04 run. I really thought that team was going to win it all. But like most here, I think his overall play was pretty overrated. Outside of that run, Brind'Amour was and always has been the better player.

SgtJoseph 10-24-2011 10:36 PM

Been watching the Flyers since 1967.......When i think of Flyers greats, His name don't even enter my mind...He was a good player, and he had a remarkable playoff run one season.....I do not dislike him or any of that, but i just do not think of him as a great player really .....

achdumeingute 10-24-2011 11:44 PM

He's no Rod Brind'amour.

He did have a great postseason that year, but he would have had to win multiple cups for me to "forget" #17.

I'll admit I'm unfair on this issue. :p: