HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   We are very lucky to have Cappy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1013035)

ilovemarkmessier 10-24-2011 01:04 PM

We are very lucky to have Cappy

As alot of you know the Rangers are my primary team however I do follow the Islanders very closely as well. The Rangers are stuck with Torts and will not change. However Mr. Snow was smart enough to shake it up get rid of Gorden and bring in Cappy. He took a risk and it really worked out. I think if the Islanders do make the playoffs Cappy needs consideration as coach of the year. The turnaround has been amazing since he took over. I wish the Rangers would take the chance on a guy like Cappy. I do not think you realize as Islanders fans what a find this guy was and what hes accomplished in a short period of time.

rollin109 10-24-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier (Post 38403843)
As alot of you know the Rangers are my primary team however I do follow the Islanders very closely as well. The Rangers are stuck with Torts and will not change. However Mr. Snow was smart enough to shake it up get rid of Gorden and bring in Cappy. He took a risk and it really worked out. I think if the Islanders do make the playoffs cappy needs consideration as coach of the year. The turnaround has been amazing since he took over. I wish the Rangers would take the chance on a guy like Cappy. I do not think you realize as Islanders fans what a find this guy was and what hes accomplished in a short period of time.

You're right..... I for one don't realize it!

ilovemarkmessier 10-24-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPurthe1 (Post 38404321)
:facepalm:

So quickly we forget what this team was before the coaching change.

rollin109 10-24-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier (Post 38404711)

I remember all too well. Very similar to what this team has looked like in 4 out of the first 6 games this year as a matter of fact.

ilovemarkmessier 10-24-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollin109 (Post 38404807)
I remember all too well. Very similar to what this team has looked like in 4 out of the first 6 games this year as a matter of fact.

If you look at what we were the second half of the season and into this year. You would realize we are a playoff team under Cappy.

rollin109 10-24-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier (Post 38405027)
If you look at what we were the second half of the season and into this year. You would realize we are a playoff team under Cappy.

ok, I would love nothing more than for you to be right. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Dutch Frost 10-24-2011 01:43 PM

This team needs to stop hiring AHL coaches and shop around for a solid veteran coach who is proven to win.

ilovemarkmessier 10-24-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Frost (Post 38405449)
This team needs to stop hiring AHL coaches and shop around for a solid veteran coach who is proven to win.

Really? Really? Anyone out there veteran or not would have a hard time doing better then Cappy has done.

StrongIslanders90 10-24-2011 01:55 PM

Yeahh hes so accomplished in under a year its amazing....Last year we went on a 20 game winless streak, then Cappy comes in and we make the playoffs!!!! And now this year we are undefeated.....

I actually like cappy, but lets give him a full year before we hand him COTY

StrongIslanders90 10-24-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier (Post 38407127)
I follow both New York hockey teams. I am not saying hes a hall of fame coach but am saying we could have done alot worse> and I do not think he needs to be replaced that is ridiculous.

I was just joking about you being a Rags fan and Islanders fan.....Thats like me being a Yankees and Red Sox fan or a Giants and a Cowboys fan.....

The thing I love about Captain Jack is he lets the boys play thier game and do what they do best.....Only problem is we need a few more better players......JT and Striet are our
only Elite players.....

JPIsles21 10-24-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Not saying Cappy is/was the right choice. But why? The NHL has become a league that instead of dipping into the veteran pool has chosen to go with young up and comers.

Since the lockout the 6 coaches to win the cup are as follows:

2006 - Peter Laviolette: hired by the Isles as a top prospect coach; won the Cup in his 4th year year as head coach with the Canes

2007 - Randy Carlyle: hired by Ducks out of AHL and won a cup in his 2nd season as coach

2008 - Mike Babcock: hired out of the AHL by the Ducks and lost in the cup finals, lasted another year with the ducks before jumping ship to the Wings. Won a cup in his 5th season as head coach.

2009 - Dan Bylsma: Hired mid-season by the Pens as a promotion from the AHL. Won a cup that very same year.

2010 - Joel Queneville: The only veteran on this list. Won a cup with the Hawks in his 13th season. Had previously made the playoffs 10/12 seasons before finally winning a cup.

2011 - Claude Julien: Hired out of the AHL by the Canadiens. Failed to make the playoffs in all 3 seasons. Lasted less than a year in NJ. Hired by the Bruins as a coach that hadn't accomplished anything in the NHL, and finally made the playoffs and won the cup in his 8th season as coach.

Only Joel Quenneville was a successful veteran coach of all the cup-winning coaches since the lockout. The others were either all up-and-comers or largely unproven when hired. Being a veteran coach has not translated into success. The best way to evaluate a coach is not how many years he's been in the league, but how much he can get out of his team. If Cappy can get the job done, and I'm not saying he can as of yet, then I have no problems with hiring a coach out of the AHL/CHL.

Quite frankly, most of the time it's the players that decide how successful a coach will be.

ilovemarkmessier 10-24-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 (Post 38407469)
I was just joking about you being a Rags fan and Islanders fan.....Thats like me being a Yankees and Red Sox fan or a Giants and a Cowboys fan.....

The thing I love about Captain Jack is he lets the boys play thier game and do what they do best.....Only problem is we need a few more better players......JT and Striet are our
only Elite players.....

Nino is a elite talent. Lets see if it translates to the NHL game. Also Harmonics not looking too shabby and Grabner showed alot of potential last year.

IslesNYer 10-24-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPIsles21 (Post 38407757)
Not saying Cappy is/was the right choice. But why? The NHL has become a league that instead of dipping into the veteran pool has chosen to go with young up and comers.

Since the lockout the 6 coaches to win the cup are as follows:

2006 - Peter Laviolette: hired by the Isles as a top prospect coach; won the Cup in his 4th year year as head coach with the Canes

2007 - Randy Carlyle: hired by Ducks out of AHL and won a cup in his 2nd season as coach

2008 - Mike Babcock: hired out of the AHL by the Ducks and lost in the cup finals, lasted another year with the ducks before jumping ship to the Wings. Won a cup in his 5th season as head coach.

2009 - Dan Bylsma: Hired mid-season by the Pens as a promotion from the AHL. Won a cup that very same year.

2010 - Joel Queneville: The only veteran on this list. Won a cup with the Hawks in his 13th season. Had previously made the playoffs 10/12 seasons before finally winning a cup.

2011 - Claude Julien: Hired out of the AHL by the Canadiens. Failed to make the playoffs in all 3 seasons. Lasted less than a year in NJ. Hired by the Bruins as a coach that hadn't accomplished anything in the NHL, and finally made the playoffs and won the cup in his 8th season as coach.

Only Joel Quenneville was a successful veteran coach of all the cup-winning coaches since the lockout. The others were either all up-and-comers or largely unproven when hired. Being a veteran coach has not translated into success. The best way to evaluate a coach is not how many years he's been in the league, but how much he can get out of his team. If Cappy can get the job done, and I'm not saying he can as of yet, then I have no problems with hiring a coach out of the AHL/CHL.

Quite frankly, most of the time it's the players that decide how successful a coach will be.

Well said JPIsles.

LAIslanderFan 10-24-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

You mean AHL coaches like Dan Bylsma or Bruce Beaudreau?

Strome18 10-24-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier (Post 38404711)

I was shaking my head at this poster, not the thread. I think Cappy is great for this team.

Hipietro 10-24-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier (Post 38407127)
I follow both New York hockey teams. I am not saying hes a hall of fame coach but am saying we could have done alot worse> and I do not think he needs to be replaced that is ridiculous.

What confuses me is that you are a Ranger fan but you say "We" are very lucky to have Cappy.

:huh:

ilovemarkmessier 10-24-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipietro (Post 38411871)
What confuses me is that you are a Ranger fan but you say "We" are very lucky to have Cappy.

:huh:

I am a New york hockey fan. Not enough hockey luckily we have two great franchises here in New York to follow. Its so much more fun when we have two good young teams like right now. Great time to be a New York hockey fan.

MikeyMike01* 10-24-2011 05:38 PM

I don't think Flintstone's gonna make it through the rest of the year as coach. Not unless some players get hot and he rides that wave like last year.

ilovemarkmessier 10-24-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 (Post 38414631)
I don't think Flintstone's gonna make it through the rest of the year as coach. Not unless some players get hot and he rides that wave like last year.

If the Islanders make the playoffs he will be a coach of the year finalist.

Islanders1932 10-24-2011 06:30 PM

Scott Gordon was unfairly blamed for his team. He is in Toronto now as an assistant coach and they seem to be doing much better....so who really knows if this was the right decision.

stranger34 10-24-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islanders1932 (Post 38417227)
Scott Gordon was unfairly blamed for his team. He is in Toronto now as an assistant coach and they seem to be doing much better....so who really knows if this was the right decision.

gordon as an offensive strategy guy is fine.

as a head coach he seems like someone if I had to play under him I'd try to lose on purpose

LAIslanderFan 10-24-2011 06:41 PM

If we left coaching changes up to this board, we'd be on our 3rd or 4th coach...this year!!!

IslesBeBack* 10-24-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier (Post 38403843)
As alot of you know the Rangers are my primary team however I do follow the Islanders very closely as well. The Rangers are stuck with Torts and will not change. However Mr. Snow was smart enough to shake it up get rid of Gorden and bring in Cappy. He took a risk and it really worked out. I think if the Islanders do make the playoffs Cappy needs consideration as coach of the year. The turnaround has been amazing since he took over. I wish the Rangers would take the chance on a guy like Cappy. I do not think you realize as Islanders fans what a find this guy was and what hes accomplished in a short period of time.

Have you watched the Isles this year? They are .500, but they look like a team completely and utterly lost. I was excited for Capuano, but at this point I'm not sure who the hell is to blame. This organization can't seem to win on a consistent basis, and there's more to it than just coaches/players at this point. It has to be philosophical because a team that loses this much and for this long doesn't deserve to operate professionally.

A Pointed Stick 10-24-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islanders1932 (Post 38417227)

Kind of amazing, no? We see the team sliding backwards in the fall, again, under a coach the players seemed to really like and do well under in the end of the previous season. Kinda hard to blame this on Capuano isn't it this time?

The talent gap between us and other clubs is pretty loud right now.

IslesBeBack* 10-24-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick (Post 38423433)
Kind of amazing, no? We see the team sliding backwards in the fall, again, under a coach the players seemed to really like and do well under in the end of the previous season. Kinda hard to blame this on Capuano isn't it this time?

The talent gap between us and other clubs is pretty loud right now.

I guess your last statement hits the nail on the head. Outside of Tavares and Streit, we are a bunch of unproven players with "potential".