HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   how do you tape your stick? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1013073)

jorbjorb 10-24-2011 02:37 PM

how do you tape your stick?

heel to toe? toe to heel?

Orientation of tape, wax, and puck smoothing or other methods?

please share.

thanks,

jord

mhkehoe 10-24-2011 02:39 PM

Heel to toe, straight on forehand, angled (toward toe) on backhand, I used to use a quick blast of heat from a heat gun then smooth it out with a puck, but now I smooth it out with stick wax and a quick blast of the heat guy to smooth out the wax.

Doland 10-24-2011 02:48 PM

Heel to toe, smooth out with puck, or sometimes a bit of wax

Jarick 10-24-2011 02:48 PM

To quote a smartass mod on another board, the same way I do every time this subject comes up :)

Wide white, heel to toe, cover the toe and cut, light wax or puck smoothing.

The only thing that makes a difference is how much tape I use. Lately I've been doubling up my tape so it rips less and I retape less.

jorbjorb 10-24-2011 02:50 PM

is it common to smooth out with puck first, then apply wax, then smooth with puck again?

ponder 10-24-2011 02:51 PM

I think we've had a few of these threads before, but:

Blade:
- Half rip (rip tape to half width, gives you twice as many ridges, I like it for puck feel), ridges about the same width as valleys
- Heel to toe, over the toe
- Tape close to vertical on both forehand and backhand (easier to do with skinny half rip tape)
- Rub with wax (used to scrape off excess then melt it in with a heat gun, now I don't bother, just a quick rub)

Grip:
- I just use a 7" tacki-mac sand grip, but I cut down the knob with an x-acto knife (it comes with a roughly 1" knob, I cut it down to roughly 1/4")

CornKicker 10-24-2011 03:41 PM

i try to use the least amount of tape i can so i can feel teh puck on my blade better. always wax though

Rebels21 10-25-2011 12:53 AM

White tape from the backhand heel to toe using as little tape as possible and cover the entire blade.
Rub it down with my hand and i put blade butter on.

MNWild9 10-25-2011 02:12 AM

Piece of tape from the tip of the blade to the heel then tape from tip to about halfway (like Ovi does and a lot of other players) I've been doing this for years. then cover nicely with wax.

ReverendAlBundy 10-25-2011 02:30 AM

Use wide tape, toe drag tape job over just about the last 4 inches of the blade. I usually do about 5 wraps around. Then cover the entire thing in wax.

Axman 10-25-2011 12:25 PM

Toe to heel so the puck slides down the tape. A little tape rope spin for a grip on the handle. Flatten with the tape roll and wax.

I used to redo for every game but I go through too much tape. Now if there's a little hole punched in the tape on the backhand of the blade, I'll let it go.

kr580 10-25-2011 04:28 PM

1.5" white athletic tape, heel to toe, tape over the toe; cut off excess, overlap maybe 1/4" each time. Straight on the forehand, angled towards the top on backhand. Rub the tape down with the rest of the tape roll (like how some use a puck.) Put a good amount of wax on the whole blade, melt it in with a heat gun and then put one last layer of wax on.

Badger36 10-25-2011 06:34 PM

Heel to toe and I tape over the toe. I dont use a heat gun or wax and dont smooth it with a puck. Smoothing it with my fingers works just fine.

r3cc0s 10-25-2011 07:06 PM

If I don't use wax, I'll retape almost every game or other...
heel to toe with very slight overlap

Used to tape half over, and use a bottom piece, but I found no added value to feel or durabilty of... especially cause I use black tape

I find black to be less durable, but I prefer the look

If I use wax, the tape lasts longer, and I will be able to use it for at least every other game.

I keep the overlap slight, and this does reduce weight, I mean every gram counts right?