HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Pre-Game Talk: Bernier to start Tuesday vs Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1013111)

Cruel11 10-24-2011 02:08 PM

Bernier to start Tuesday vs Devils

Bernier will start tomorrow and no DD against the Devils.

Shellz 10-24-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruel11 (Post 38406593)
Bernier will start tomorrow and no DD against the Devils.

So much with going the "hot hand" ;)

Winger23 10-24-2011 02:29 PM

There's only 1 boneheaded coach that will make this decision this early into the year not coming on a back to back with a goalie working on 3 shutouts in a row. :help:

Ollie Weeks 10-24-2011 02:33 PM

Bernier needs starts every now and then. So be it. As long as this doesn't technically break Quick's shutout streak, fine by me.

Chazz Reinhold 10-24-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winger23 (Post 38407471)
There's only 1 boneheaded coach that will make this decision this early into the year not coming on a back to back with a goalie working on 3 shutouts in a row. :help:

There's no point in potentially wearing down Quick for what really amounts to a meaningless streak. It will be 17 days since Bernier started last. That's a long time. He needs to get in a game.

Sydor25 10-24-2011 02:35 PM

Bernier to start Tuesday vs Devils

Quote:

Jonathan Bernier, not shutout-streak Jonthan Quick, will start in goal when the Kingd host New Jersey tomorrow night. Terry Murray said he made that decision before Saturday’s game and told Bernier, and Murray cited the tough recent schedule and the fact that the Kings have three conference games after tomorrow.
From Hammond. http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/10/24...ernier-starts/

Guess Terry doesn't want NJ to break Quick's streak. I guess that means I will see Quick on Thursday here in Dallas. Makes sense, the Eastern conference game isn't as important as the divisional games.

damacles1156 10-24-2011 02:36 PM

Johnny B needs to get a game in. I am ok with this.

Seventyx7 10-24-2011 02:36 PM

Non-divisional game, gotta keep Bernier sharp and Quick rested. I like it; JQ can shutout Dallas again on Thursday.

Winger23 10-24-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold (Post 38407671)
There's no point in potentially wearing down Quick for what really amounts to a meaningless streak. It will be 17 days since Bernier started last. That's a long time. He needs to get in a game.

I'm not worried about his streak. There is a back to back coming up next week. Give him rest then. It's not like there have been a ton of games in a short amount of nights.

Edit: back to back is this weekend, which means Bernier will now be making 2 starts this week.

Sydor25 10-24-2011 02:38 PM

I would like to see Voynov on Thursday.

Just let Doughty wait until Saturday to play again.

Cruel11 10-24-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellz (Post 38407389)

I thought Terry said he doesn't plan ahead. So much for that. ;)

Good move TM.

Quote:

Terry Murray said he made that decision before Saturday’s game and told Bernier, and Murray cited the tough recent schedule and the fact that the Kings have three conference games after tomorrow.

Sydor25 10-24-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellz (Post 38407389)

Win and you're in! :yo: :sarcasm:

NJ pre-game talk: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...3#post38407703

Buddy The Elf 10-24-2011 02:40 PM

Yeah it really doesn't seem like that boneheaded of a decision to me either. Bernier was going to be getting a game this weekend anyway and Quick could probably use a rest. It isn't like Labarbara is the backup. They gotta give Bernier some games if for no other reason to increase his value and/or evaluate him further because we're about a year away from a decision being made on one of them (more than likely).

Buddy The Elf 10-24-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winger23 (Post 38407829)
I'm not worried about his streak. There is a back to back coming up next week. Give him rest then. It's not like there have been a ton of games in a short amount of nights.

Edit: back to back is this weekend, which means Bernier will now be making 2 starts this week.

So long as he plays well, I don't really see that as a bad thing.

Capn Brown 10-24-2011 02:41 PM

I think we're show-casing Bernier for an eventual trade with the Devils for you-know-who later in the season......

Shellz 10-24-2011 02:41 PM

Murray should have never said he would go with the hot hand.

Meh. Quick should still be playing. It's still early in the season.

Sydor25 10-24-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capn Brown (Post 38408011)
I think we're show-casing Bernier for an eventual trade with the Devils for you-know-who later in the season......

That could backfire too...:naughty:

JBernierFan 10-24-2011 02:43 PM

I like this decision, and not just because I'm a Bernier fan. That gives Quick the divisional starts, and keeps Bernier sharp. He's sat for a bit already. I'm glad Murray isn't going against his word on playing him more. Also, the team needs to feel comfortable with both goalies.

Chazz Reinhold 10-24-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capn Brown (Post 38408011)

Or, you know, maybe...just maybe, Murray is thinking about the team he currently has and is attempting to ensure that he has two sharp goaltenders.

Chazz Reinhold 10-24-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellz (Post 38408013)

It's early in the season, and if it ended up being that Bernier didn't start until Sunday, he would not have started an NHL game for over three weeks. That's just setting him up to fail. There is nothing wrong with trying to make sure both goalies are sharp and ready to play at any time.

Buddy The Elf 10-24-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellz (Post 38408013)

I don't think this is the first time he has done this. I believe he did this last year and also back when Ersberg was the the backup. He kept saying he had a schedule but something tells me that his schedule didn't have Quick starting 72 games or whatever it was he started that year.

Ollie Weeks 10-24-2011 02:47 PM

Murray should just never have said anything, for fear of it being misinterpreted. Plans are made to be amended.

Chazz Reinhold 10-24-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winger23 (Post 38407829)

They've also done a ton of traveling so far, so just because Quick hasn't been overworked yet doesn't mean there is not the possibility that he could get fatigued more easily.

What is so wrong with trying to make sure both goalies are on top of their game? The Kings will need both to do extremely well this season if they have any notions of contending for the Cup.

Shellz 10-24-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold (Post 38408195)
It's early in the season, and if it ended up being that Bernier didn't start until Sunday, he would not have started an NHL game for over three weeks. That's just setting him up to fail. There is nothing wrong with trying to make sure both goalies are sharp and ready to play at any time.

I absolutely have no problem with that. Bernier needs more starts to get his groove started with the team. The team needs him to rebound and I'm sure he wants to rebound too.

Murray says one thing and does another. It would make more sense if we were coming close to the playoffs and he is giving JQ a rest. But, it isn't. Oh well though.

driller1 10-24-2011 02:49 PM

I like our center match-ups in this game :laugh:

Wouldn't be surprised with a Bernier shutout, as Devils are sporting a pop-gun offense right now. (I may have just jinxed us)