HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Sweden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Swedish Hockey pronunciation and spelling thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1013589)

drive45 10-25-2011 07:03 AM

Swedish Hockey pronunciation and spelling thread

Is Lidström supposed to be spelled like that, with the umlaut over the 'o'? Do you call that diacritical mark an 'umlaut' in Swedish? Does that mean the 'o' is pronounced like the 'eu' in the French word 'aveugle'? Or how?

Is the 'st' supposed to be pronounced like the 'sht' in the English word 'ashtray'?

Why doesn't he have the umlaut on his NHL sweater/jersey? Do any NHL players have non-standard (Roman-script) markings on their jerseys?

joe89 10-25-2011 07:32 AM

I don't think we call it anything, 'Ö' is a letter on its own in Swedish aswell as 'Ä' and 'Å'. Pronounciation is about right though.

Easily put, Ö = eu. Å = au. Ä = ae.

The middle part is pronounced like your every day NHL commentator would pronounce it. 'Ström' is a separate word if you like, 'st' in it is pronounced the same way as the english word 'Stream'. A difference though is that 'lid' is actually pronounced 'leed' in Swedish.

You have to ask the NHL about the last part, he does on his National sweater.

Petey21 10-26-2011 09:38 AM

As for the Swedish diacritics on jerseys, they're usually on the nameplates used in Sweden (although I've seen a few cases where it says for example O instead of Ö), but as for the NHL they're not there and that's probably because they're not part of the English language. I don't think they even have the French diacritics (such as é, â or ç) on the NHL jerseys either, although at least one team comes from the French speaking part of Canada?

Lugaid 10-26-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive45 (Post 38442361)
Is Lidström supposed to be spelled like that, with the umlaut over the 'o'? Do you call that diacritical mark an 'umlaut' in Swedish? Does that mean the 'o' is pronounced like the 'eu' in the French word 'aveugle'? Or how?

Is the 'st' supposed to be pronounced like the 'sht' in the English word 'ashtray'?

Why doesn't he have the umlaut on his NHL sweater/jersey? Do any NHL players have non-standard (Roman-script) markings on their jerseys?

Å, Ä and Ö are all swedish letters, they're not really accent marks, but rather individual letters. In the word "Bird" (British English), you come very close to the Ö-sound, a swedish way of typing it out would be "Bööd". Same with "girl" in British English. In the example of Lidström, his is a kind of half-ö that sounds quite aggressive, I'm sure you can find some sports commentator pronounce his name if you youtube it.

As for his back, yeah, it's the same for all non-english names. Just think of the russians, Lidström gets off easy by being called Lidstrom, in comparison :)

Swedish culture is a lot about adapting to other cultures though, and thus, a lot of swedish players will refer to Lidström as "Lidstrom" when speaking about him to for example interviewers.

drive45 10-27-2011 01:05 AM

Motörhead!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugaid (Post 38516151)
Å, Ä and Ö are all swedish letters, they're not really accent marks, but rather individual letters. In the word "Bird" (British English), you come very close to the Ö-sound, a swedish way of typing it out would be "Bööd". Same with "girl" in British English. In the example of Lidström, his is a kind of half-ö that sounds quite aggressive, I'm sure you can find some sports commentator pronounce his name if you youtube it.

As for his back, yeah, it's the same for all non-english names. Just think of the russians, Lidström gets off easy by being called Lidstrom, in comparison :)

Swedish culture is a lot about adapting to other cultures though, and thus, a lot of swedish players will refer to Lidström as "Lidstrom" when speaking about him to for example interviewers.

thanks for the detailed answer.

I think the Scandinavians and any other players that have funky-looking diacritics in their names should insist that they be on their sweaters/jerseys, because that makes them look like some kind of cool bad-ass Heavy Metal band!

Now that I've got my dander up, I think I'm going to post something on this topic on the main board.

Jonimaus 10-27-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive45 (Post 38538117)
thanks for the detailed answer.

I think the Scandinavians and any other players that have funky-looking diacritics in their names should insist that they be on their sweaters/jerseys, because that makes them look like some kind of cool bad-ass Heavy Metal band!

Now that I've got my dander up, I think I'm going to post something on this topic on the main board.

If I remember right, people said something about Russians then wanting their names spelled with their letters, and that would be like "????" for the rest of us. :help:

weklof 10-27-2011 05:31 PM

I found this audio clip on how Lidström is supposed to be pronounced:

http://www.forvo.com/search/lidstrom

cheerupmurray 10-27-2011 06:07 PM

Most swedish Nhl-players actaully used to play in Mötley crue before their hockey career. Lidström played base.

Jonsson 10-27-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheerupmurray (Post 38564013)
Most swedish Nhl-players actaully used to play in Mötley crue before their hockey career. Lidström played base.

don´t forget....tomas sandström on drums!

Petey21 11-06-2011 05:47 PM

It's actually Mötley Crüe. :yo: