HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   GMs call for mandatory visors (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1014231)

Penalty Kill Icing* 10-25-2011 10:03 PM

GMs call for mandatory visors

Quote:

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, who was in attendance at the game Monday and had Pronger on his team when the Anaheim Ducks won the Stanley Cup four years ago, agrees.

“Visors should be mandatory for all defencemen, at the least,” Burke said, adding that blueliners are at “a far greater risk” of being hit in the face by a puck because of all the deflections in front of the net.

“I’d want to hear the GMs out on the larger topic [of everyone having to wear them], but I think I would support Homer.”
Globe and Mail

After Pronger incident, I hope this is looked up. If veterans don't want to wear it, imo, not much can be done; but we can have something like helmet rule, where new players entering the league must wear visors. I know hockey is a dangerous sport, but that can't be reason enough to lose your body organ like an eye permanently.

joepeps 10-25-2011 10:12 PM

ive said for years that visor should be mandatory and grandfathered in...

I mean, as kids we wear it (full) then all the way to the AHL they wear it. It's not like they aren't use to it already.
Drafted players should have to keep it on.

Azumi* 10-25-2011 10:15 PM

The problem with visors I think(?) is they fog up mid-shift and mess up your vision.

If that can fix that issue, I don't think they'd have an excuses left.

What's up with cages, though? Are they illegal in the NHL?

Schenn 10-25-2011 10:19 PM

Grandfather all the current NHL'ers and slap them on the kids. No reason they can't wear one. Hell, the kids have to wear them for junior.

anderson3133 10-25-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitosukri (Post 38484881)
The problem with visors I think(?) is they fog up mid-shift and mess up your vision.

The cage visor!! haha

Azumi* 10-25-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anderson3133 (Post 38485265)
The cage visor!! haha

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile..._5018540_n.jpg

leafsforlife 10-25-2011 10:22 PM

Anyone know what % of leafs wear visors?

Darch 10-25-2011 10:24 PM

That piece of gear should be put in right away. Mandatory, not grandfathering either.

It's BS that it hinders vision when the best in the games all wear them. Enough with the macho stuff...

dronald 10-25-2011 10:29 PM

Why wasn't everyone talking about this last week? Jeez, one incident and HF explodes.

Some great players wear visors some don't, I'm not too worried about losing our greatest players because they don't want to wear visors. All the best players agree that head shots need to go, but some players are more comfortable without a visor, big deal, let em play.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...retz_edit2.jpg

TrueBlue86 10-25-2011 10:33 PM

when you got a bigot like cherry constantly mocking players with visors, hockey will remain in the stone ages on this issue

Penalty Kill Icing* 10-25-2011 10:37 PM

^ Currently, Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Patrick Kane, Erik Johnson, Rick Nash all wear visors.

Just because Gretzky didn't doesn't prove it. All above are players drafted first overall in last decade (excluing Fleury who is protected anyways). Pronger learned it the hard way, others waiting for what?

PS: What I've also noticed is good defencemen not wearing it. ie. Pronger, Weber, Lidstrom, Komisarek (;))

The Lollipop King 10-25-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 (Post 38486269)
when you got a bigot like cherry constantly mocking players with visors, hockey will remain in the stone ages on this issue

Cherry has a problem with people who fight with visors on. Get you facts straight before you try to attack someone.

Players have the choice to wear one or not to. Its up to them, they are big boys who can make their own decisions. Stop trying to change something that has no affect on you. People are becoming softer every day.

anderson3133 10-25-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darch (Post 38485531)
That piece of gear should be put in right away. Mandatory, not grandfathering either.

It's BS that it hinders vision when the best in the games all wear them. Enough with the macho stuff...

Some people find it quite distracting much like a cage. As a goalie, I can attest to this to some extent. I used cat eyes masks whenever I could because it didn't hinder my vision at times when a normal mask would due to the wider eyes.

JAMmer124 10-25-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leafsforlife (Post 38485411)
Anyone know what % of leafs wear visors?

The following do not wear a visor:

Armstrong
Connolly
Komisarek
Brown
Orr
Rosehill

anderson3133 10-25-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitosukri (Post 38485337)

Those things are terrible for vision. They fog up like Cliff Fletcher's memories (Jeff Finger's contract, I'm looking at you).

joepeps 10-25-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey (Post 38487175)
The following do not wear a visor:

Armstrong
Connolly
Komisarek
Brown
Orr
Rosehill

and what can we learn from this...?

Injured
Injured
4th liners:naughty:

Aplayaz2000 10-26-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anderson3133 (Post 38487185)
Those things are terrible for vision. They fog up like Cliff Fletcher's memories (Jeff Finger's contract, I'm looking at you).

your saying the NHL hasn't developed no fog lenses?

ponder 10-26-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitosukri (Post 38484881)

I'm more of a cage guy myself, but apparently this stuff works more or less flawlessly, and completely eliminates visor fog if used properly:

http://www.fogtech.com/fogtech.html

Visors can still be a minor, minor distraction even without fog, and some guys like to feel the fresh air on their face, but IMO it's a change that's very easy to get used to. I think guys mostly don't wear them so as to look more manly, and for fighters they don't wear them so they can keep their helmets on during fights (get rocked or taken down in a fight without your helmet on and your head can smash on the ice, causing very serious damage, I have a friend of a friend who died this way).

-DeMo- 10-26-2011 01:47 AM

while were at it lets take the boards out of the game aswell I mean people get seriously injuried when they run into it.

Duke Silver 10-26-2011 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lollipop King (Post 38486755)
Cherry has a problem with people who fight with visors on. Get you facts straight before you try to attack someone.

It's you who should get their facts straight.

How many times has Cherry talked about a player pulling a cheap tactic (non-fighting related) and said something to the effect of this player being a visor-wearing ninny?

Tons of times. It's not just the fighting ramifications of visors that Cherry has issues with.

anderson3133 10-26-2011 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 (Post 38493421)
your saying the NHL hasn't developed no fog lenses?

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but:

1) The NHL doesn't develop equipment, they just dictate the regulatory guidelines for them.

2) To my knowledge no they haven't based on the constant check-ups some players receive from the "equipment managers" who are assigned the task of 'visor cleaner' after every shift.

3) They are visors not lenses (lenses are for vision correction).

4) Fog is from the air flow and being that you get heat (from the player) and cold (from the rink/arena) it's pretty hard to correct.

Man Bear Pig 10-26-2011 03:54 AM

I took the visor off the second I was done junior and I don't think I'd wear one If I played pro considering I'm a forward. If I played D there's not a doubt in my mind that I'd wear one. I've been hit in the face with a puck before and I was fortunate that it didn't do permanent damage(broke my nose pretty bad though) but my argument is that all sports come with some kind of element of risk. I do remember this after all-

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_O53ew12as-...free-agent.jpg

One of many examples

Man Bear Pig 10-26-2011 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anderson3133 (Post 38495507)
I'm not sure if you're joking or not but:

1) The NHL doesn't develop equipment, they just dictate the regulatory guidelines for them.

2) To my knowledge no they haven't based on the constant check-ups some players receive from the "equipment managers" who are assigned the task of 'visor cleaner' after every shift.

3) They are visors not lenses (lenses are for vision correction).

4) Fog is from the air flow and being that you get heat (from the player) and cold (from the rink/arena) it's pretty hard to correct.

Breathing hard can also be pretty bad for the visor. What I always find odd is that players turn the visor up a bit and it's not even shielding their eyes...pretty much defeating the purpose of it.

LeafsGuru93 10-26-2011 06:26 AM

I don't know why players/ fans are making excuses for not wearing visors, it get foggy, blah, blah, blah. Would they rather loss an eye?

The best players in today's game wear them as someone listed above:

Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Patrick Kane, Erik Johnson, Rick Nash all wear visors doesn't
seem to bother them.

Wake up everyone, we don't want another one like Sundin's or Berard, who DID lose his vision completely.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...r9ak2/439x.jpg - taken Sept 11/11 @ Toronto International Film Festival.

http://www.daylife.com/topic/Bryan_B...__site=daylife

I agree with Burke. "Visors should be mandatory for all defencemen, at the least,” Burke said, adding that blueliners are at “a far greater risk” of being hit in the face by a puck because of all the deflections in front of the net."

eyeball11 10-26-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 (Post 38486269)

Way to go after probably one of the biggest proponents of safety in hockey.