HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Anyone know why Lundqvist plays so deep in his net? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1014353)

Puckgenius* 10-25-2011 11:31 PM

Anyone know why Lundqvist plays so deep in his net?

Compared to most goalies he doesnt come out nearly and often plays on his goal line. Makes him unique and makes his style alot harder to play imo, cause the players have a greater angle to shoot.

Drewbackatu* 10-25-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckgenius (Post 38491045)
Compared to most goalies he doesnt come out nearly and often plays on his goal line. Makes him unique and makes his style alot harder to play imo, cause the players have a greater angle to shoot.

I for one have never been in love with his style of playing so deep in the net and stooping so low instead of being in a more upright position challenging the shooters. He did look very aggressive the other night against Vancouver though. Maybe he's finally tweaking his style.

iamitter 10-25-2011 11:37 PM

I don't know, but I prefer it to Thomas' style. I love whenever I see Bruins games and they show an 'overhead' view of the crease and Thomas is nowhere to be found :laugh:

wolfgaze 10-25-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

It gives him more time to react to the shots as opposed to goalies who play further out, but it also gives the shooters more to shoot at.... Can help you and hurt you....

Brooklyn Ranger 10-25-2011 11:42 PM

That's what Lundqvist has been taught to do since he came to the Rangers.

lbrowne 10-25-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Being aggressive also makes you vulnerable to cross ice passes.

I'm ok with whatever style he plays that keeps him as one of the best in the league :)

Khelvan 10-26-2011 12:12 AM

Playing deep in the net means you are relying on your reflexes (and being able to see the puck) to handle shots more than you are positioning and size, but gives you a better opportunity to react to cross-ice passes as you don't have to move as far to get to the other side of the net, and leave less of the net open if the puck gets there before you do.

SlingshotVv 10-26-2011 12:26 AM

I remember reading an interview with the NYR goalie coach, who's name escapes me at the moment (Benoit Allaire maybe?) but is known as one of the best in the business, talking about Lundqvist's style of playing so deep as being a huge evolution in net in a league where so many goals no longer come from the "big shot", where cutting down the angle helps, but instead from deflections, redirects, and rebounds. All instances where being deeper in the net allows more reaction time, and allows a goalie to more solidify the lower portions of the net.

The key to Henrik's game isn't really that he's so deep, or covers the lower half so well… but that he remains so upright while in the butterfly, and is able to remove so much of the middle and upper portion of the net even while on his knees. Doesn't help much when a sniper rips a perfect shot, but Lundy's numbers prove that those shots happen a lot less often then others.

Swept In Seven 10-26-2011 12:28 AM

Just his style of play. It works for him so I would not want him to change a thing.

wolfgaze 10-26-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 38491831)
That's what Lundqvist has been taught to do since he came to the Rangers.

I don't think the Rangers encouraged him to play that style, he brought that with him when he came over to NA... That's not Allaire's school of thought... If anything I think the Rangers have tried to work with Lundqvist to tweak his game to adjust to the NHL style game... If you think about it, it makes perfect sense that he developed this style of play on the larger olympic size rinks.... There's much more lateral passing, more open style of play, and less traffic on the larger rinks... A goaltender who comes out a lot and really cuts down the shooter's angles, puts himself at a disadvantage on the larger ice surfaces because of all the open space and potential for lateral movement of the puck... Being too aggressive could lead to too much scrambling to get back into position (particularly prone to cross ice one-timers)... I believe it was the exhibition game in Switzerland where we saw the opposing team really zig-zagging the puck across the offensive zone off their rushes, which really gives you an idea of how they can play the game a little bit different overseas..... Henke seems to like to maintain his position in net so he's in a better position to react and adjust to deflections and passes across the ice... Obviously the increased reaction time on shots is also a motivation for playing that style... He's definitely not one of those goaltenders (like Hasek or Thomas) who seem to thrive and be effective when they are scrambling in their net to adjust to the unfolding play.... All that being said, I think some Ranger fans place far too much emphasis on Henke's glove hand and don't recognize just how good he is at taking away the lower half of the net, and how good he is at making saves on deflections and shots through traffic.... He's one of the best goaltenders in the league at doing that....An average glove hand and minimal stick-handling ability by itself does not negate how strong he is in those other aspects of his game...

Inferno 10-26-2011 03:40 AM

my open league goalie plays the same way, butterfly, deep in his net. if youve got the reaction time and speed to play that way, it can be damn effective...my goalie is one of the best in the league...henrik is one of the best in the best league in the world. if you dont have the reaction time that these guys do though, (comparatively, of course) you'll get frikkin destroyed.

DonCherrysSuit 10-26-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 38496203)
henrik is one of the best in the best league in the world.

I'd say Henrik is the best in the world.

Propane Nightmares 10-26-2011 06:20 AM

All style's have advantages and disadvantages.

What's good about Lundqvist's style is playing deeper in the net allows for better movement to cover your angles, moving around the net quicker making you less vulnerable to rebounds and one-timer's from the slot. However, it leaves more net for shooters to shoot at meaning you have to have quicker reactions, but you get a little bit more time to react

What's good about playing out of the net like Thomas is obviously less space for the shooters to shoot at, it means you can kinda predict the players are going to pass, making it easier to read the play. It also makes it easier to stop shots from the point because less players get in the way. Then the disadvantages are it's harder to recover from rebounds, and one-timer's.

What I've discussed here is the reason Thomas makes so many highlight-reel saves which falsely make everyone think he's so amazing, because he plays so far out of the net he often has to dive across the goal to have any hope of making a save. Whereas Lundqvist makes his saves by being able to move around the net faster and is in position to stop a one-timer or a rebound, therefore doesn't have to make a highlight reel "flop" save.

Ola 10-26-2011 06:27 AM

Wolf- Actually, they have.

Hank played more like Richter in Sweden.

The reason why Allaiere wants him deep is that way he has a chance to save every shot. I mean if you are far outside of the net, and the shot is wide he'd have zero chance to stop a forward standing by the post looking for a rebound. Someone like Thomas needs to have a really good D around him that can fight off those rebounds.

Most goalies are playing much deeper in the net these days...

ilezia 10-26-2011 07:19 AM

I don't know if I'm imagining this but I believe I read somewhere that besides having a unique style Lundqvist also sharpens his skates in an unorthodox manner. Something about quicker lateral movement from post to post.

Chimp 10-26-2011 07:21 AM

They key to this style - which is Allaire's, not Lundqvist's, like Ola mentioned - is to be able to break the rules when you can.

It looks like Lundqvist has worked on going further out of his net when he thinks he can (when the lateral pass is not there) and he stands up longer, both to easier lunge on high shots, but also to be harder to screen, I've never seen him as active in looking around screens. This is naturally what he had a problem with when he first had to learn this style. Now he can start perfectioning it. It took a couple of years.

JimmyStart* 10-26-2011 07:56 AM

His reactions and glove are actually excellent and he's used that advantage to put himself in a position to have a harder time making glove saves yet excel at cross ice and down low goals. Makes it hard on hismelf to make glove saves but much easier to move laterally to the point he's mastered his contorl of his movement and positioning. He never gets beat low. He is one of the best positional goalies of all time he just knows where to stick his glove and where to maneuver in his crease. He's been worn down and it's slowed his reaction time in previous seasons which is why i think he always has that mid season swoon (for hima swoon is still great goalie play overall). But coming out of the gate and ending the season he always has his reactions honed to perfection and combined with his low dominance we've seen what he can do.

MSG the place to be* 10-26-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 38496203)
my open league goalie plays the same way, butterfly, deep in his net. if youve got the reaction time and speed to play that way, it can be damn effective...my goalie is one of the best in the league...henrik is one of the best in the best league in the world. if you dont have the reaction time that these guys do though, (comparatively, of course) you'll get frikkin destroyed.

Who has the better smile?

Matteau Matteau 10-26-2011 08:11 AM

Numbers so far this season: 1.83 GAA .942 Save Percentage

36 career SO

.919 career Save Percentage

Can't say why he plays any aspect of his game--just don't change it. :)

Beacon 10-26-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

You should have seen Glenn Healy. He literally had his butt inside the goal, sometimes as far a touching the net.

MartyOwns 10-26-2011 08:40 AM

same reason why he drops to his knees on every shot. humongous pads, quick reflexes. its obviously working for him.

Jersey Girl 10-26-2011 09:12 AM

Because he CAN!!!

Bleed Ranger Blue 10-26-2011 09:19 AM

Whatever the reason, it works.

Maybe as he gets into his 30's and age becomes more of a factor, he'll need to tweak his style, but not now

PoddubnyRules 10-26-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyOwns (Post 38498801)
same reason why he drops to his knees on every shot. humongous pads, quick reflexes. its obviously working for him.

So tired of this from Devils fans - his pads are legal, get over it.

Maybe Marty needs bigger pads, since he can't go side-to-side anymore.

offdacrossbar 10-26-2011 09:45 AM

goalies all have their own unique styles in net. all butterfly guys arent the same. goaltending is an art form and each artist is unique.

your height, weight, arm length, leg strength, and even your glove hand dictate the style you might play and how you play it.

hank is very tough to beat as he covers so much of the lower ice. his quickness is top notch but he also knows where to be and where to place his pads, blocker and glove given where the puck is. all goalies do this, hank does it better than others.

playing deep has its one disadvantage though, and for hank its obvious. the corners are exposed and he gets beat there by shooters who can lift it with velocity.

hank also tends to go to his knees to soon but thats the butterfly style. he has a flinch reaction that works well to take away the lower part of the net but hurts him for hard high shots. its very difficult to raise your glove when your body is traveling downwards going to the knees.

hank has perfected his style. hes prone to funks like everyone else, but if he can see it- he can stop it.

and hes about as good as anyone else in the world at doing just that.