HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The 2011 Goalie Controversy thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1014535)

phillyfanatic 10-26-2011 09:02 AM

The 2011 Goalie Controversy thread

It is early, but ALREADY I am noticing that Sam and other members of the Philly media are starting to kick up dirt. Personally, I LOVE that Bob is doing well and I have been pleased with Bryz so far (Washington is still on track for 82-0, so that game aside). But......this is Philly......and these are goalies.

So, How long before Bryz starts to hear the Boos. How long before Philly starts to want the Bob over Bryz?

phillyfanatic 10-26-2011 09:03 AM

The question is, since, like most......I see the storm on the horizon and I think it is just a matter of time before it hits. I have been in that storm before...it has a tendency to DESTROY a season. So.....should we trade Bob now?

Could that be why Homer is scouting Columbus? They NEED a goalie, a young goalie would be preferrable. That team NEEDS to win NOW or lose that franchise! So, maybe they want Bob and like Colorado are willing to give up their first round pick to do it now?

WeekendAtBernies 10-26-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfanatic (Post 38499503)
The question is, since, like most......I see the storm on the horizon and I think it is just a matter of time before it hits. I have been in that storm before...it has a tendency to DESTROY a season. So.....should we trade Bob now?

Could that be why Homer is scouting Columbus? They NEED a goalie, a young goalie would be preferrable. That team NEEDS to win NOW or lose that franchise! So, maybe they want Bob and like Colorado are willing to give up their first round pick to do it now?

For like the 17th time today, Homer is in Detroit. The Columbus-Detroit game is taking place IN COLUMBUS.

Homer is not attempting to ship Bobrovsky out of town... unless another team is willing to take a couple of our 2nd round picks along with him.

Jack de la Hoya 10-26-2011 09:21 AM

There is no goalie controversy. The reporters trying to kick one up are doing their job--trying to sell newspapers / generate hits on their websites. Let's not do them the favor, eh?

We have a decent backup to a better starter. That's the way its supposed to work.

Look at the goals that went in on Bryz--there were what, four deflects in the Washington game? He made a mistake against St. Louis on the D'Agostini goal, but otherwise, I can't think of many "soft" goals he has let in.

Bob has played well--though one of those games was against what it easily the worst team in the league.

I joked about Bob to Columbus in the other thread--but it is massively unlikely. Set aside whether the value we could get in return woudl be worth it--who would our back-up goalie be? Leighton has to clear re-entry waivers. Despite what most of us think, myself included, he is still a serviceable backup in the NHL, particularly at half his current cap-hit. That leaves us with, what, Bacashihua? Well, at least there would be no controversy. :help:

Bob might get moved at some point--but I don't think it will be this year. Maybe at the draft or next summer , when the Flyers have the chance to bring in a reasonable backup, but not now.

jagrgodr 10-26-2011 09:29 AM

Could you really have someone with that contract as the back up? This is a serious question. What is he getting paid, like $6 million for 5 years? If you are already THINKING about benching your $30 million dollar goalie 7 games in when you have a team that was just revamped is just silly. Everyone needs some time, the players do and the goalie. Bob could be the better goalie right now, but maybe in 15-30 games bryz will have played most of the teams a couple of times and will know most of the players he is up against.

FreshPerspective 10-26-2011 09:33 AM

Columbus is over a barrel we should pillage their team now while we have the chance..they already miscalculated with Carter and his tin feet. Now let's totally mug em...:laugh:

Quote:

The Blue Jackets are having issues on and off the ice. There are reports that they are losing $25 million a season, and there is talk about the long-term survival of the franchise. Their last few home games have only drawn 9,000 fans.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...098/story.html

Beef Invictus 10-26-2011 09:36 AM

Ah. This thread. So it begins.

ORYX 10-26-2011 09:52 AM

There is no controversy, the season is young not to mention Bryz has played a much higher caliber opponent the Bob. Don't let the Leafs start fool you.

mirimon 10-26-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeh82 (Post 38500057)
There is no goalie controversy. The reporters trying to kick one up are doing their job--trying to sell newspapers / generate hits on their websites. Let's not do them the favor, eh?

We have a decent backup to a better starter. That's the way its supposed to work.

Look at the goals that went in on Bryz--there were what, four deflects in the Washington game? He made a mistake against St. Louis on the D'Agostini goal, but otherwise, I can't think of many "soft" goals he has let in.

Bob has played well--though one of those games was against what it easily the worst team in the league.

I joked about Bob to Columbus in the other thread--but it is massively unlikely. Set aside whether the value we could get in return woudl be worth it--who would our back-up goalie be? Leighton has to clear re-entry waivers. Despite what most of us think, myself included, he is still a serviceable backup in the NHL, particularly at half his current cap-hit. That leaves us with, what, Bacashihua? Well, at least there would be no controversy. :help:

Bob might get moved at some point--but I don't think it will be this year. Maybe at the draft or next summer , when the Flyers have the chance to bring in a reasonable backup, but not now.

Agreed. It's not a proplem to have a solid backup. That's kind of what you want. Sure his price tag is a little bit hefty for us this year when the bonuses count, but next year he's back to 850k.

DrHamburg 10-26-2011 11:28 AM

lol oh boy...

DrinkFightFlyers 10-26-2011 11:38 AM

Move the team to Kansas City, quick!

Philadelphia Ducks 10-26-2011 12:09 PM

I always wanted Bob to be our starter this year 8(. I loved him last season and this year he's been pretty good too. But pushing that to the side. Bryz is and will be the starting goalie for this team, even if he struggles. When you're given that contract you're going to be the starter.

Flyersfan139 10-26-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORYX (Post 38500957)
There is no controversy, the season is young not to mention Bryz has played a much higher caliber opponent the Bob. Don't let the Leafs start fool you.

Exactly. And the defense was horrible both those games. Three were deflected into the net by our own players vs the Caps.

phillyfanatic 10-26-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks (Post 38506269)
I always wanted Bob to be our starter this year 8(. I loved him last season and this year he's been pretty good too. But pushing that to the side. Bryz is and will be the starting goalie for this team, even if he struggles. When you're given that contract you're going to be the starter.

No question about that. The issue for me is.....how long before the fans turn on the goalie. Vancouver turned sour on Luongo quickly. The other night against Washington he got the bronx cheer after letting in the 5th goal. Flyer fans were ripped on TV and on twitter for that by hockey observers. Got me thinking.....how long before the boo birds start. If they start......

DrinkFightFlyers 10-26-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfanatic (Post 38507409)
No question about that. The issue for me is.....how long before the fans turn on the goalie. Vancouver turned sour on Luongo quickly. The other night against Washington he got the bronx cheer after letting in the 5th goal. Flyer fans were ripped on TV and on twitter for that by hockey observers. Got me thinking.....how long before the boo birds start. If they start......

This is Philly. If he had 9 shutouts in a row then let in two bad goals he would get booed. Everyone gets booed in Philly at some point, whether they deserve it or not.

Hollywood Couturier 10-26-2011 01:00 PM

Bob and Bryz? Pssh who needs them. We got MFL who is 4-1 with a 2.51 GAA and a .918 SV% in the AHL. Call that guy up and this goalie controversy is solved.

CSKA1974 10-26-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks (Post 38506269)

To add some flavor to this discussion here is the excerpt from Bob’s interview to the Sports. ru on 10/25/2011:

Q: When I had translated your quote “I am not worse than Bryzgalov” to Laviolete he smiled and said that he would not expect any other answer. He also added that any goalie on the team can become#1.
A: I have said it already that I am not content with the backup role. I will fight for the first all season long. Circumstances do not matter. I want to be the first, and I will be proving it to all.

sobrien 10-26-2011 01:27 PM

Goalie controversy there is not. Bryz had a couple rough games against great teams. Bob had a couple good games against Ottawa and Toronto.

JLHockeyKnight 10-26-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORYX (Post 38500957)

You must not be aware that to most people on HF, stats are all that matters.

Puckboy 10-26-2011 02:30 PM

Who starts tonight

Prongo 10-26-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckboy (Post 38512689)
Who starts tonight

Bryz

Hockeypete49 10-26-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfanatic (Post 38499459)
It is early, but ALREADY I am noticing that Sam and other members of the Philly media are starting to kick up dirt. Personally, I LOVE that Bob is doing well and I have been pleased with Bryz so far (Washington is still on track for 82-0, so that game aside). But......this is Philly......and these are goalies.

So, How long before Bryz starts to hear the Boos. How long before Philly starts to want the Bob over Bryz?

This town is never satisfied. It was not that long ago we had no goalie. Now we have two. God I hate the media:rant:

Beef Invictus 10-26-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 (Post 38513499)
This town is never satisfied. It was not that long ago we had no goalie. Now we have two. God I hate the media:rant:

This.

While I object to Bryz's contract, I sure as hell don't object to his current level of skill.

G Money 10-26-2011 03:36 PM

Considering our past it would not suprise me if BOB takes over the starting role by the end of the year.

We have bad luck when it comes to goalies.

funghoul 10-26-2011 03:38 PM

The only controversy is that there is NO controversy. That's the problem. Both of our goalies are awesome. Bryzgalov is a top 10, potentially higher goalie in this league who's adjusting to a new defense group. One thing i see our defense doing lately that i dont like is instead of clearing players their trying to play the puck (shot block) more than usual which is a problem for any goalie. Both need to see the puck. Bryz just has a bigger body and handles high shots through traffic better although bob looks great in that dept. this year. Problem is not only communication its the way the defense is playing. Not as well as they should for one of the better crew of defensemen in the league. It's october and there's alot of sifting through B.S before any real evaluations are made. But 2 great goalies is never a controversy.