HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Corey Potter (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1015127)

Oil Town XJ 10-27-2011 12:19 AM

Corey Potter

I'm an oiler fan coming in peace. I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on Corey Potter when he was in your system? He's been playing some pretty good hockey to start the season for us

Killem Dafoe 10-27-2011 12:41 AM

like me going to a dude whos ex im dating and sayin "hey man, youre ex is great in bed, just wonderin, how was she when you guys were dating?"

Killem Dafoe 10-27-2011 12:44 AM

nahhh man i'm just joshin ya, he's alright

Giacomin 10-27-2011 01:12 AM

Players like him come and go. As an ex-Ranger I wish him well but I see him as a journeyman at best.

mrhockey193195 10-27-2011 01:15 AM

In the one game that I saw (obviously, the one that we played against you guys), he seemed to be playing with a ton of confidence. I never saw him as more than having the potential to be a pretty good 5/6 dman while he was with us, but since he's getting a ton of ice time with you guys, he might develop better than expected. Hope he keeps this up.

Ola 10-27-2011 02:49 AM

I think we liked him pretty much when he was in our system (see the posts below). But, others (Staal and Girardi for example, and later on maybe even Sauer to some extent) at the time just played better than him. I am not suprised to hear that he is doing well for you. He has great lateral movement, a heavy shot and is solid at taking the body.

I wrote this in Feb 08' (thread is from the prospect boards about potential sleepers in the AHL):
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...4&postcount=28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 12480084)
I don't know how well know Mike Sauer is, but I wouldnt be suprised if he played in the NHL next season. Could become a exceptional stay at home D.

Lauri Korpikoski could suprise some people. He needs to take another big step, getting a bit faster and a bit more explosive; but he got a really high skillevel overall, and a tremendous workethic.

A supersleeper could be Corey Potter. He is pretty "sexy" for a low key, late round pick, D. Very good lateral movement, solid size, good positioning and ok hands. Age is speaking against him, he will probably need 2 more years in the AHL, and it gets allot harder to get chances as a rookie at the age of 25-26 then if you are 22-23, and it also seems harder to stay positive and work hard at that age. But he could become a solid NHL D, like a Aaron Miller copy.

And this in July 08' (actually reffering to an post from 07'):
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=151
Quote:

I've always liked Potter. This is what I wrote on him a year ago;

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=8...postcount=1199

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola
RangerBoy- IMO Potter should defenitly get a contract. He got a pretty special and rare mix of skating and puckmovement for a stay at home D. I need to see him more, but he reminds me of guys like Brett Hedican and Adrian Aucoin.
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola
He is supposed to be a stay at home D type, but he wheren't really tested that much defenisvly when I saw him, so I can't really comment on his defensive game. For a player like him its mostly about beeing consistant anyway, and it takes allot more then two games where his team are dominating the other team to give a opinion on thoose aspects.
However, I were really impressed with his puckmovement, really impressed. He is slick with the puck, moves great laterally, got his head up all the time.

Potter breaths good coaching, a very good grade for the US college program. Don't often see someone who might not be the biggest natural talent, have thoose kind of skill comming from NA.

Potters lateral movement really sticks out for a D his type. He is kind of hardnosed, got a heavy shot and is OK at moving he puck -- like all that would mean that he is a typical NA D who might be a notch below the NHL level. But his lateralmovement is very good. Like not world class, he wouldn't be confused with a young Malakhov -- but he defenitly moves suprisingly well.

His passing can become better, but he is defenitly trying to do the right things. I belive that its harder to play a puckmoving game for a D in the AHL then in the NHL. Teams takes much bigger risks on the forecheck. Like it works against the 2nd tier guys like Girardi, Potter, Pck and co -- but if someone like Zubov played down there he would make any team look foolish and force them to stay back.

In the NHL all teams plays it much safer. In the NHL its much harder to execute a play that takes you all the way to a scoring chance, but its easier for a D to gain that first 30 feet with a pass.

I know that there are some HFD fans on here who don't like Potter at all. But he defenitly got some potential if he can keep improving.

N9Y4R 10-27-2011 05:42 AM

Potter was never going to get a chance here, to many Dmen were in front of him. Glad to see he is making the most of his opportunity in Edm.

Vitto79 10-27-2011 06:13 AM

may stick as a 6/7 guy but nothing more. Oilers have injuries and he's taking advantage , good for him.

Beacon 10-27-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N9Y4R (Post 38541385)
Potter was never going to get a chance here, to many Dmen were in front of him. Glad to see he is making the most of his opportunity in Edm.

He would have gotten his shot this year. We had to go to the waiver wire, so to say we had so much depth that defensemen can't get a shot is false.

Over the last couple of years we kept mentioning all our prospects, but many of them turned into nothing (Pashnin, Valentenko, Niemi, Gilroy), regressed (Kundratek this year, MDZ last year), or just aren't ready yet (McIlrath, Parlett and even Erixon to a lesser extent). Then we lost two NHL defensemen to injury and our lack of depth was exposed.

Our depth at forward isn't great either, but it is particularly worrisome on defense.

McDonagh 10-27-2011 08:20 AM

I saw the other night he played something like 27 minutes against the Canucks with powerplay and penalty kill time? it's great that he's turning out nice, and I guess we could use him now, but I don't think it's a big deal he's making it somewhere else.

bernmeister 10-27-2011 10:35 AM

I value height and strength in a D, though, not over all other considerations.
At. 6'3", if I remember, Potter was a little taller and ok as to be solid and strong, but not a bull in the crease.

Figured him as 5-7, playing 4 for you in a pinch.
Thought it was cheaper to keep him.

He lost out on numbers both here and in Pit.
Congrats, you bucked the odds and got lucky.

Bleed Ranger Blue 10-27-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N9Y4R (Post 38541385)

An awfully ironic statement when Brendan Bell and Jay Woywitka have been in and out of the lineup these first few weeks of the season.

ThirdEye 10-27-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 38547389)
An awfully ironic statement when Brendan Bell and Jay Woywitka have been in and out of the lineup these first few weeks of the season.

I think he meant at the time, and he is right. Potter was an afterthought / emergency call up and that's about it.

He could turn out decent, but the guy has like 10 games of NHL experience and he's almost 28. I mean, he could be one of those guys that just comes out of nowhere and turns into a solid player for a few years, but usually in the long term these kind of players tend to just fade away

Pizza 10-27-2011 11:30 AM

I think it's great Potter made it to the NHL. As Renney was familiar with him from our system, he got himself a hard look and made the best of it.

Good for him. Maybe he works out as a serviceable D man for ya.

KingWantsCup 10-27-2011 11:35 AM

I was livid when he scored against us. Don't expect to see that often from him.

RangerFan10 10-27-2011 11:43 AM

Another poster said it best: Potter looked like a journeyman at best. It was time to part ways. Always looked "OK," but never showed enough to suggest there was much more than "OK" in him.

RangerFan10 10-27-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 38547389)

At the end of the day, I don't think Potter is much better than Bell and Woywitka regardless

Jarkko Immonen 10-27-2011 12:02 PM

I watched him day in and day out in Hartford and cheered the day he left the organization.

I once saw him pass the puck to an empty point on a powerplay. Who's point was that? His point. He tried to pass to himself.

wolfgaze 10-27-2011 12:07 PM

Likely a bottom pairing defenseman on an NHL team that does not necessarily have a lot of defensive depth....

Primetime Powerplay 10-27-2011 02:00 PM

I liked him while he was here, but was not upset when he left. No room for him back there

vipernsx 10-27-2011 05:44 PM

Renney was the Rangers head scout for the Rangers when they drafted him in what is probably the Rangers worst draft ever relative to what it could have been. IMO he's a career minor leaguer who is peaking and taking advantage of injuries on a team who doesn't have the strongest defense. Probably a pretty good leader, but not the best long term NHL solution.

ZacUSNYR 10-28-2011 11:01 AM

I always liked Potter, he was decent for the Wolfpack and at times showed some promise. But the organization thought he was disposable. Glad to see him getting a true chance in Edmonton.

White Plains Batman 10-28-2011 11:31 AM

I always liked him when he was here, he almost scored a goal in his first game against Calgary in December 2008.

Much like Baranka and Immonen, I felt he was a fine NHL player but for whatever reason never really got a chance to stick with any team he was employed for until now.

94now 10-28-2011 11:36 AM

Just wonder what MTL fans think of McDonagh... Any D before his time looks the same to fans. Only talented scouts could see, and they are often wrong too. That is why trades and signings make sense.

Killem Dafoe 10-28-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94now (Post 38618401)
Just wonder what MTL fans think of McDonagh... Any D before his time looks the same to fans. Only talented scouts could see, and they are often wrong too. That is why trades and signings make sense.

except i get the feeling Mon fans were a little more attached to McD