HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What do you think about this hit? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1015191)

JYP88* 10-27-2011 02:42 AM

What do you think about this hit?
 
What do you think about this?



Eetu Pöysti got one matchpenalty!!!!. I think that its quite clean hit, but maybe little bit too much speed in it.

(not sure if this is right area for this)

Jumbo* 10-27-2011 03:49 AM

Looked ok to me. Looks like he just wacked his head pretty good. I guess he called boarding?

vapor11 10-27-2011 03:51 AM

Clean hit..

I can hear Don Cherry saying "keep your head up kids"

McDugan 10-27-2011 09:33 AM

Not necessarily a "dirty" hit, but it looks reckless to me. More finish on that hit than was needed, IMO. I think the thrust of the arms and the "follow-through" of the hit show a disregard for safety. He came close to putting his forearm/elbow right through the guy's head.

On a side note, I definitely misread the title of the thread and was wondering how it got past the obscenity filter. :naughty:

Trojan35 10-27-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JYP88 (Post 38540511)
What do you think about this?



Eetu Pöysti got one matchpenalty!!!!. I think that its quite clean hit, but maybe little bit too much speed in it.

(not sure if this is right area for this)

He starts striding at his own blue-line and doesn't stop taking strides until their face-off dot. I know he's hustling to get back into the play, but that's way too much "distance traveled" to finish a check that hard and not get a charging call.

Pajicz 10-27-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1983 (Post 38540893)
Looked ok to me. Looks like he just wacked his head pretty good. I guess he called boarding?

Got game misconduct and one game suspension for boarding.

The injured player got a "severe concussion", according to the doctors.

Renbarg 10-27-2011 12:09 PM

A borderline charge. But definitely not boarding.

Really one of those unfortunate areas of the ice. If the the player was up the ice 1 more foot or closer to the boards 1 more foot he would have been fine.

welcomebackwinnipeg 10-27-2011 12:35 PM

Not suspension worthy, but I'd call it a charge.

ponder 10-27-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renbarg (Post 38551103)
A borderline charge. But definitely not boarding.

Really one of those unfortunate areas of the ice. If the the player was up the ice 1 more foot or closer to the boards 1 more foot he would have been fine.

People think boarding is only for hits from behind into the boards, but that's not the case, it's for any particularly violent/dangerous hit into the boards. "Checking from behind" is only for hits from behind, but it's a more severe penalty (automatic major and game misconduct), so you don't see it called that often. These are the rules as they're defined in the NHL of course, but they're similar in most leagues.

As for this hit, I think it's a penalty, you could really call either charging or boarding. Both penalties are very ambiguous, very loosely defined, but they're basically just meant to penalize overly reckless/dangerous/malicious hits. They're basically the same penalty, except charging is for open ice hits, boarding for hits along the board, and this hit is sort of half way between open ice and along the boards. Checking is mostly in the game as a way to separate a guy from the puck, you're not meant to slaughter people. As for the suspension, considering the victim suffered a major concussion on a hit that I think is pretty clearly either a charge or board, I think 1 game is about right.

Renbarg 10-27-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 38554759)
People think boarding is only for hits from behind into the boards, but that's not the case, it's for any particularly violent/dangerous hit into the boards. "Checking from behind" is only for hits from behind, but it's a more severe penalty (automatic major and game misconduct), so you don't see it called that often. These are the rules as they're defined in the NHL of course, but they're similar in most leagues.

As for this hit, I think it's a penalty, you could really call either charging or boarding. Both penalties are very ambiguous, very loosely defined, but they're basically just meant to penalize overly reckless/dangerous/malicious hits. They're basically the same penalty, except charging is for open ice hits, boarding for hits along the board, and this hit is sort of half way between open ice and along the boards. Checking is mostly in the game as a way to separate a guy from the puck, you're not meant to slaughter people. As for the suspension, considering the victim suffered a major concussion on a hit that I think is pretty clearly either a charge or board, I think 1 game is about right.

That is what I though. I looked up the rule and you are right. So I guess a board is applicable in this situation.

Jarick 10-27-2011 02:44 PM

Charging for sure, borderline boarding, and if I were Shannaban I'd probably suspend him for recklessness/intent to injure. You don't have to try and demolish a guy that distance to the boards.

Gino 14 10-27-2011 05:28 PM

No question that it was boarding and worthy of multiple game suspensions.

Harv 10-27-2011 06:43 PM

2 mins for a rough.

rinkrat22 10-27-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 38564893)
No question that it was boarding and worthy of multiple game suspensions.

I agree, the player never leaves his feet so although its a violent hit, it has to be boarding. now he does take more than 2 strides before contact but since the player ends up contacting the boards that is the logical call.

Malreg 10-27-2011 07:52 PM

Last time I checked hitting was part of the game... He didn't target the head, he didn't hit him from behind, he didn't throw an elbow. 2 minutes for boarding if anything at all.

LOFIN 10-28-2011 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreg (Post 38579591)
Last time I checked hitting was part of the game... He didn't target the head, he didn't hit him from behind, he didn't throw an elbow. 2 minutes for boarding if anything at all.

What is the logic behind this? The rules are clear if you make a foul and the victim is injured, it has to be a major penalty. If you elbow someone and the victim gets hurt you CANT give the agressor a 2 minute penalty, it has to be a major, same case here.

Gino 14 10-28-2011 12:44 PM

Even though this wasn't in the NHL, here's the actual rule from the NHL regarding boarding, since many here seem to have no idea what it is......

Rule 41 - Boarding

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

LOFIN 10-28-2011 05:37 PM

SM-Liiga is using the IIHF rulebook so if we agree on that this it is boarding (or charging), th rule book says:

b) A player who injures his opponent as a result of boarding (Charging) shall be assessed at the
discretion of the Referee a:
Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5’+GM)
or
Match penalty (MP)

Although I dont tink Pöysti intentionaly injured Platil, he had too much speed and should have taken Platils (pardon my grammar) position few meters away from the boards into consideration (yes hockey is a fast game, you cant always react as fast as you should but Pöysti had time with this hit)

kento 10-30-2011 06:22 PM

why is everybody saying its a charge? Just because a player has a lot of speed doesn't mean it's charging. You can clearly see he stopped skating, spread his legs and started gliding before he hit him. Not a charge.

romdj 11-02-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kento19 (Post 38730683)
why is everybody saying its a charge? Just because a player has a lot of speed doesn't mean it's charging. You can clearly see he stopped skating, spread his legs and started gliding before he hit him. Not a charge.

you're right but the guy was 3-4ft away from the board which is the most dangerous spot (boarding call comes in), and it is a blind side hit...with a 30mph impact...quite a rough surprise...
I believe this is very border line and that it's better to call it than not to...

Torquenstein 11-02-2011 11:53 AM

When the guys arrived to help the guy my fist thought was : "Don't forget to bring a towel!" :D

Kritter471 11-02-2011 01:52 PM

For the umpteenth time, the "three strides" standard with charging is about distance traveled, not the actual amount of steps a player takes immediately before the hit. This isn't really outright charging, but it's certainly possible to call it because the forward gathering momentum towards the hit from the top of the circle.

That said, the appropriate call is a 5+game penalty for boarding. Whoever quoted the rule above quoted the old version. The new one clarifies that it's "checks or pushes a defenseless player" into the boards. From an NHL standard, this is textbook boarding - it ain't about how hard you hit him, but about how awkwardly and dangerously he goes into the boards. The IIHF tends to be slightly stricter about calls (i.e., more harsh on the hitter), so I would assume their standard for 5+game is also met.

It's harsh to a hitter because, in a case like this, I don't think there's real maliciousness involved. But boarding is a safety call and meaning to hurt a guy doesn't really matter. Think of it kind of like a high stick - if a hitter launches a guy head or neck first into the boards, he's almost always going to be called for it outside of extenuating circumstances (follow through in a h.s., last-second position change/attempting to pull up in boarding).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.