HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Fox Sports Ohio, CBJ & Directv (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1015969)

Paisano* 10-27-2011 11:30 PM

Fox Sports Ohio, CBJ & Directv

Once again Directv can't play nice with it's friends. So now they are going to drop FSO, which carries the Jackets. They claim Fox wants too much money so they want to protect us consumers. What BS!! So no Jackets if you have Directv after Nov 1. My question is if anyone knows for those of us who have the Center Ice package, will we still be able to see the Jackets there? Since most teams use Fox sports for their local broadcasts, does that figure in the contract talks?

Personally I'm getting real tired of Directv, last year it was Versus, now Fox this year! For what they charge, there should never be threats of taking away stations!

PuckNerd 10-27-2011 11:39 PM

What really sucks is I just switched over from Dish to DirecTV *sigh*

Doug19 10-27-2011 11:53 PM

What really sucks is I pay a decent amount extra for the channels and they are being little *****es once again.

MFRONE 10-28-2011 03:02 AM

Or Fox could be asking for way too much money for their channels...

IBleedUnionBlue 10-28-2011 04:57 AM

NewsCorp (Fox) pulled this same stunt last year with Dish & Time Warner. Asking for a 40% increase. Not surprised DirecTV is taking a hard stance instead of passing increases off to customers.

blahblah 10-28-2011 06:59 AM

We see this every year JBum, with a provider and some channel(s). Nothing wrong with the provider making sure they can provide the customer competitive rates.

I don't have the specifics of the deal and how it compares to what other providers get. If you have the data and it supports Directv being cheap bastages then I'll listen. Otherwise, I just consider it part of the contract negotiation process.

Iron Balls McGinty 10-28-2011 07:19 AM

I think a bigger question for me is about the Center Ice package.

Considering how many teams use Fox Sports to air their games on TV, if Fox Sports is pulled from Directv, can I still watch those games because I am paying for them in a separate package? They aren't technically being show on Fox Sports, just being contracted out to a different channel for airing in the package.

1857 Howitzer 10-28-2011 07:30 AM

Your Center Ice will be fine.

CarolinaBlueJacket 10-28-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer (Post 38611247)

Its this a guess or fact? If fact, who is the source?

blahblah 10-28-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer (Post 38611247)

Why would it be? If you are in the Columbus market the Center Ice feed should be blacked out. Now you might be able to see the road games if the home team allows it.

If you are outside of the Columbus market, then, yes, you would be right.

cbjsparky 10-28-2011 08:25 AM

Center Ice is blacked out for all Columbus home games, if they are shown on a channel here, wether it is Versus or FSO. You will not be able to see them unless you switch to a different provider.

1857 Howitzer 10-28-2011 09:25 AM

I was talking about the package itself. Of course blacked out games will still be blacked out.

Sore Loser 10-28-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbjsparky (Post 38612157)
Center Ice is blacked out for all Columbus home games, if they are shown on a channel here, wether it is Versus or FSO. You will not be able to see them unless you switch to a different provider.

This is correct. Last year, with Dish Network, I had no HD channels on my center ice plan because of the Dish/Fox dispute. I no longer order NHL:CI ... and never will again. Do what I do and watch them online ... either get Gamecenter (not a bad package for the cost), or you can watch them on a variety of "free" sites - links are almost always somewhere in the GDT.

DJAnimosity 10-28-2011 09:58 AM

Do what I did - drop cable/satellite, order NHL GameCenter, stream it through Roku or PS3, and start following an actual NHL team so the local blackouts won't concern you. :sarcasm:

Iron Balls McGinty 10-28-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJAnimosity (Post 38614943)
Do what I did - drop cable/satellite, order NHL GameCenter, stream it through Roku or PS3, and start following an actual NHL team so the local blackouts won't concern you. :sarcasm:

That's ok, I bought center Ice so I could watch the Devils play.

Bobcat110 10-28-2011 02:44 PM

FSN has less leverage this year to get their 40% increase they want due to the NBA lockout. I could see it drag out a while like VS.

Paisano* 10-28-2011 10:29 PM

The CBJ home games have never been blacked out on Center Ice in the Columbus market except for the opposing team feed. It's the same broadcast so no reason to black it out.

Moo 10-28-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBum (Post 38643807)
The CBJ home games have never been blacked out on Center Ice in the Columbus market except for the opposing team feed. It's the same broadcast so no reason to black it out.

You must be talking DirecTV's version of NHLCI, because inDemand -- which handles it for a lot of cable companies -- ALWAYS blacks out games that are available locally. They did it to me all the time with the Jackets when I lived up there, and they do it to me with the Lightning down here in Tampa Bay.

Paisano* 10-28-2011 10:38 PM

I've always been able to get them when I'm not at the game, but then again I am at most of the games so maybe you are right. I am sure though that the roadies are always available on either FSO or Center Ice.

CBJBrassard16 10-28-2011 10:40 PM

Thank god, now there is a reason to not watch them. Blessing in disguise.

Skraut 10-29-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJAnimosity (Post 38614943)

This...

If you use the right set of programs you can watch blacked out Jackets games on GCL. The thing is, despite taking all of 10 seconds to do, it hasn't been worth the effort this year. I just throw 4 random games on GCL and then when one starts grabbing my interest more than the others switch to it full time.

jag72 10-31-2011 05:40 PM

Directv and Fox have reached an agreement.

http://investor.directv.com/released...leaseID=619508

Fred Glover 10-31-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jag72 (Post 38774415)
Directv and Fox have reached an agreement.

http://investor.directv.com/released...leaseID=619508

Thanks for the update, I figured it would get done at the last minute. I wasn't too worried, unless it would go until the Jackets' next game on Thursday, so I figured I had two extra days to play with:laugh:

Good news, now waiting for the price increase:rant: