HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Early season review of Moulson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1016031)

LAIslanderFan 10-28-2011 01:46 AM

Early season review of Moulson

Does anyone else think Matt Moulson is a little soft out there. There's no question he's very good in front of the net, but that requires a playmaker like Tavares to make him look good. I can't recall the last time I've seen Moulson lead a rush, or win a battle behind the net. He's a big guy, but he can't play a physical game and always seems to get out muscled and that drives me crazy, condering the effort Tavares makes trying to keep the puck in the Islanders end.

Before anyone jumps all over me, watch a few games and keep an eye on Moulson, even when he doesn't have the puck. He's really a non entity out there and leans heavily on JT to get him the puck.

OlTimeHockey 10-28-2011 02:08 AM

Been saying it regularly. Moulson is talented but in the grand scheme of things, in the toughness department, Moulson is a twinkie. Tavares is tough and PA underrated in his toughness. I wish Moulson would just start hitting some out there.

crashthenet 10-28-2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey (Post 38608983)
Been saying it regularly. Moulson is talented but in the grand scheme of things, in the toughness department, Moulson is a twinkie. Tavares is tough and PA underrated in his toughness. I wish Moulson would just start hitting some out there.

Parenteau has turned into a hockey player.

Hip Of Rick 10-28-2011 05:10 AM

Pretty much a team of Marys aside from JT, PAP, Martin, Jurcina, Gillies moustache, and DP's beard. Once in awhile Comeau wakes up for 30 or so seconds a game and gets involved and hits someone.

Moosie 10-28-2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan (Post 38608729)
Does anyone else think Matt Moulson is a little soft out there.

:laugh:

Islanders1932 10-28-2011 06:16 AM

Yeah but did anyone see his back checking last night? Awesome!

Chapin Landvogt 10-28-2011 07:21 AM

Soft or not, he's just not been very effective. I just can't recall him having been dangerous in any of the last four games.

number72 10-28-2011 07:26 AM

Give him a big contract and he is not hungry enough to score

xECK29x 10-28-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *********** (Post 38610013)

180 degree turn around from his play last year. He finishes every check and his passes are crisp and some are insane. Plays with an edge and plays with heart.

Aucoin3 10-28-2011 08:14 AM

Mouslon is fine he just isnt a first line player. If he was on the 2nd line he would be considered a stud in this league. The Islanders have the exact same problem this year that they have had each of the last 10. They do not have any 1st line wings, none since Steve Thomas. They do not have a legit #2 dman, non since Jonsson/Aucoin/Hamrlik have they had a legit top 3. Finally they do not have a real 2nd line center. I dont even think they have had one since the early 80s. Peca was a great 3rd line guy. I guess Yashin was a solid 2nd line center but that means we had no 1st line center at that time.

Until the Islanders get legitimate NHL top 6 forwards they will never be a true contending team.

Richie Daggers Crime 10-28-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xECK29x (Post 38611791)
180 degree turn around from his play last year. He finishes every check and his passes are crisp and some are insane. Plays with an edge and plays with heart.

He played with an edge last year, too. He's not Cam Neely or anything, but if he takes a stick or a high hit, he doesn't shy away from mixing it up a little.

LAIslanderFan 10-28-2011 10:15 AM

It just frustrates me to see his play. Obviously the more time you spend in the opponants end, the better chance you have of scoring. If Moulson could win a few battles behind the net, it would make a big difference with Tavares on the ice with him. The Tavares line offensive zone time suffers because of him.

Strummergas 10-28-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime (Post 38611925)
He played with an edge last year, too. He's not Cam Neely or anything, but if he takes a stick or a high hit, he doesn't shy away from mixing it up a little.

And this is what I actually like about him. I just wish he would stop making terrible low percentage passes. He like the rest of this team need to start simplifying things.

Hipster Doofus 10-28-2011 10:22 AM

Every player is soft on the Islanders according to Islander fans since as long as far back as the AOL message boards. Maybe 10% of these gripes are close to legitimate. This is not one of them.

KH1 10-28-2011 10:39 AM

Considering that Moulson makes his living getting slashed, crosschecked, and worse in front of the net, I don't think that it's fair to label him "soft" just because he's hit a scoring drought.

LAIslanderFan 10-28-2011 11:57 AM

It has nothing to to with his scoring drought. It's the fact that the Tavares line is not getting enough time in the offensive zone, JT and PAP are not the issue, I feel as if Moulson isn't carrying his weight. He loses every puck battle, behind the net. It's frustrating for me to watch the effort JT and PAP are making and then see Moulson pushed aside when he's behind the net with relative ease, and the puck taken away and moved out of the zone.

DoggyOnDown 10-28-2011 11:59 AM

what makes thinigs worse for both MM and PAP is that there to simliar. Both not great skaters, cant carry the puck, horrible along the boards... both have a reasonbly good shoot...yet find themselves on the first line where the must produce. The first line needs someone who can draw the crowd away from JT once in awhile.... if both wingers are not able to do this then that's a problem. Before the season started i would have said put KO on the line to help balance the attack. now we wait for Nino and pray

BillD 10-28-2011 12:06 PM

Moulson is neither soft or in a slump.
He is what he is, a one trick pony who can score goals from in front of the net from scrums, broken plays, rebounds, and passes to his stick.
He could be described somewhat as Czerkawski used (only Moulson is not quite as extreme), "when he isn't scoring, he isn't doing anything else".
Moulson tries, he skates as hard as he can, but unless he is getting pucks sent down low where he can get a stick on it, nothing is happening. he isn't a talented passer of the puck, you will never see him deke a defender, or turn one on the rush, or score forehand-backhand-forehand.
JBG could use a more complete LW than Moulson, who would fit on any of the other two lines, but not the 4th.

IslesFanatic 10-28-2011 12:15 PM

Moulson isnt soft. Bailey is the poster boy. He should drive around in a mr ****ing softee truck as his side job. brutal.

åboriginal 10-28-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *********** (Post 38610013)

i dunno, hes still a ****ing meatball out there. his hockey sense is on par with jason blake, he still makes dumb passes and he makes bonehead moves out there when hes not in a shooting position. i dont hate the guy, and i think he works well with tavares out there, but hes still out to lunch most of the time.

OlTimeHockey 10-28-2011 01:18 PM

A delicate reminder to those who refuse to see or remember: Nino had ZERO chemistry with Tavares and either winger. None.

Nino better be on the fourth and third lines to start so we don't look like the SOS organiztion that promoted Bailey and a laundry list of others too soon.

Nino is TOO IMPORTANT to go roto hockey dreamer on.

A Pointed Stick 10-28-2011 02:37 PM

Moulson is a plugger. He will take abuse and play in the dirty areas and is adept at garbage goals but outside of that he is not a good playmaker, is not much of a passer and will never be described as fast. He is second line material and wholly inadequate for Tavares as a wing. Get me one other real first line wing for John and I am ok with Matt on the first unit on the other side. Not with PAP though.

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 10-29-2011 05:52 AM

Moulson is weighing that line down more than PA Parenteau. Never thought id say that. Honestlyif he doesnt get his **** together i know where Nino will be playing

A Pointed Stick 10-29-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 (Post 38650095)
Moulson is weighing that line down more than PA Parenteau. Never thought id say that. Honestlyif he doesnt get his **** together i know where Nino will be playing

Are you that certain Nino will be that good? maybe later, after some development, but you think he will be that good right now? He was pretty unspectacular in pre-season, and has been on ice since then. I think at a minimum he will need about 5 games on another line to get his legs loose and his head screwed into the faster game.

But I hope I am wrong because I am sick of losing hockey from a team being bled to death by an owner in stubborn stingy miser mode.

BaileyToOkposo 10-29-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xECK29x (Post 38611791)

Ya but he's not a 1st line player still, a good 3rd line player