HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Any goalies here? Question for you (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1016141)

sqweaf* 10-28-2011 09:18 AM

Any goalies here? Question for you

How do you put on your straps from your pads to you skates? I took two of them out and only use one threw the back but rather tight.
Someone had told me to try it very loose and the pads will rotate more just wondering if any of you do this? How has it worked out?

Huge94 10-28-2011 09:36 AM

If I'm honest, the straps on the pads have always been there to keep the pads attached to my legs, I've never tighten them more than the first notch. For the lowest straps, I used to do the same thing but they have to be a bit tighter so you keep a certain control of the direction of your pads. You don't want your skate facing a way and your pads another.

I know of several NHLers that were like this. They do rotate a lot more easily and you get down to the ice quicker for a butterfly. But it's all a matter of taste.

sqweaf* 10-28-2011 09:56 AM

Well I add about 3 inches slack to my toe straps for quicker turning of the pad and making it more flush to the ice but that bottom one puzzles me. most NHLers wear them pretty loose. I guess I'll try and see how it goes. Most NHLers cut the top two straps off as well but I am not interested in that at the moment.

pelts35.com 10-28-2011 09:59 AM

Strapping is a very individual thing. Some goalies like 'em tight, some like 'em loose. It's really just a matter of messing around with them and figuring out what works best for you.

For me

No toe tie
Calf wrap as tight as I can get it
Boot strap as tight as I can get it
Lowest ankle strap tight
Middle ankle strap tight
Top ankle strap loose
Removed kneelocks in favor of PAW kneepads
Knee strap loose
Thigh wraps relatively tight
Removed top strap

Thepandamancan 10-28-2011 11:09 AM

I wore mine tight at first, but later tried a looser system and it helped me be a bit more flexible and close my 5 hole better. Had I bought bigger pads, the latter wouldn't have mattered but here's my set up.

My toe ties have a one inch spacer and I add an extra inch, maybe an inch and a half of slack.
Boot strap is buckled at last hole before I feel any resistance pulling tight.
Ankle strap is as tight as can get.
If I had a middle calf strap, somewhere in between loose and tight
Top calf strap is very loose
Knee strap is semi loose. If you pulled all the way tight, I give up about 4 or 5 spaces then I buckle it.
No top straps. When I had them on, I buckled them on the very first hole and they were extremely loose.

sqweaf* 10-28-2011 01:14 PM

I only only use one strap to the heel of my skate and thats it. I don't see the need for more then the one but I am wondering to what the benefits of wearing this extremely loose would be? Almost every goalie in the NHL wears only one and very loose.

goalie29 10-28-2011 07:59 PM

I wear my bootstrap through the back slot, and very loose. I tried tightening it up once (just experimenting),and it definitely made a difference in rotation. Didn't like it at all.

OneMoreAstronaut 10-28-2011 09:43 PM

Until two years ago, I used a pair of older Bauer pads that I tightened pretty much all the straps on quite a bit. They fit very snugly to my legs. Since I've upgraded to my current Reeboks, which are the new block-style pads, the only straps that I wear with any "tightness" (and not much at that) are the calf straps and boot strap. The boot strap I loop through the back hole of my skate blade not too tight, and my toe is kept in place by the toe lace which I've tied knots in so that my toe is forced to have slack in the lace for about 2-2.5 inches. The upper straps for my knee/thigh are basically done up only enough to have them done up.

The first time I used my new Reeboks, I tightened them the same a my old Bauers - and I could hardly even skate. I was worried I'd thrown away almost $3k, but now that I have them strapped differently (or, correctly) I'd never go back.

Hounsy 10-28-2011 10:28 PM

I feel slack in the toe tie and lose boot lets me get my edges into the ice quicker and with less angle in my leg allowing the pad to move up some when I need to push off.

sqweaf* 11-03-2011 10:19 AM

Well I tried a nice 3 inch toe strap slag and left the bottom strap going into my back hole of my skate on as loose as possible. The verdict after three games....
My 5 hole is a lot tighter. My pad lies absolutely flat and turns great.
Conclusion - the 3 inch on the toe with the loose strap = victory