HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do you like Jacques Martin as Habs coach? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1017941)

Harry Kakalovich 10-30-2011 02:13 PM

Do you like Jacques Martin as Habs coach?

In all seriousness, I think he is an extremely talented coach who the Habs are lucky to have. I noticed a lot of dislike for him, which I can't quite understand, so this is a simple poll to get a sample of what HF boards Habs board members think of him.

Jesse Pinkman 10-30-2011 02:17 PM

I dislike his system, the way he gives ice time to players who don't deserve it, and I would like him to be more active.

PS. I read the question wrong, voted yes instead of no.. :laugh:

habsjunkie2* 10-30-2011 02:18 PM

I won't vote, I'm not particularly fond of JM, but I think he's a pretty decent coach. If the team continues with the present relentless forecheck model it has instituted the last few games, the Habs will be tough to beat for everyone. I like what I see so far, still don't like some personnel choices though.

Andy 10-30-2011 02:24 PM

I'm not a fan of his style of play, nor his obsession with guys like Darche(Pyatt the year before etc) and his short-leash for younger players. However, as long as his system works and we win, then I have no complaints.

My like for Martin is based more on my personal taste for what I like to watch rather than any actual complaints of the effectiveness of his system. Like I said, which is true of all coaches, when his system works, I have nothing to complain about.

You should of added an indifferent option.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 10-30-2011 02:25 PM

No. Do I think there's a better replacement right now? Not under my Obvious Radar 5000.

Quarantesix 10-30-2011 02:27 PM

where's the option I like him when we win?

OneSharpMarble 10-30-2011 02:28 PM

Last couple games he has completly changed his style of playing. Don't kid yourself, if we had been playing Martin "defense all day every day" we would have lost all 3 games. Losing pearn put the fear of god into him and he is starting to coach again. No more favorites Martin, you either adapt or GTFO.

ThaDevilGirl 10-30-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarantesix (Post 38721315)
where's the option I like him when we win?

That would be true for every single coach on Earth.

coolasprICE 10-30-2011 02:30 PM

i prefer the way he coaches when we win

when we lose i find he is a poor coach

edit: quarantesix stole my thunder

Wassup 10-30-2011 02:32 PM

I think that it takes him too long to adjust, ie: Putting Cole on the PP, being more aggressive on the forecheck etc, firing the man responsible for the PP also clearly helped aswell but was long overdue, not his decision but he had a say in it.

Garo 10-30-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLawyer345 (Post 38721561)
I think that it takes him too long to adjust, ie: Putting Cole on the PP, being more aggressive on the forecheck etc, firing the man responsible for the PP also clearly helped aswell but was long overdue, not his decision but he had a say in it.

All that less than ten games in, with a fairly successful last season, is too long?

Wassup 10-30-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garo (Post 38721715)
All that less than ten games in, with a fairly successful last season, is too long?

The team was in a bad run, he gets paid lots of money to coach the team, should it really take him 10 games to figure out he needs to change something?

VAN-HAB 10-30-2011 02:57 PM

I hate him and his system.

Mike Vernon* 10-30-2011 02:59 PM

I do think he is a pretty good coach. I think the GM needs to get some tougher players though

HH 10-30-2011 03:22 PM

Best coach we had since Jacques Demers.

Jigger77 10-30-2011 03:28 PM

I think he's a great coach for this team.

FiveForDrawingBlood 10-30-2011 03:29 PM

I voted yes because his teams are difficult to play against in the playoffs. But if he was fired wouldn't bother me any. According to who replaced him I guess

Protest the Hero 10-30-2011 03:46 PM

Hate the defensive game plan, sitting on leads, and how tough he is on young guys compared to the veterans, but he wins, and he knows how to shut down highly offensive teams.

Dekar 10-30-2011 03:50 PM

I think he's a great coach, but I voted no because think the type of players we have and the type of style Martin coaches under do not suit each other that well.

Teufelsdreck 10-30-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLawyer345 (Post 38721561)

During the preseason the Habs didn't ice the team that we saw in games 8-10. He was still experimenting.

Strik_IX 10-30-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protest the Hero (Post 38724693)
Hate the defensive game plan, sitting on leads, and how tough he is on young guys compared to the veterans, but he wins, and he knows how to shut down highly offensive teams.

That's my biggest beef with Martin and no it isn't because I'm on HF and high on prospects and rookies. It's simply because I think that he should reward good performances and punish bad ones be it from veterans or youngsters.

Don't get me wrong, experience should always count, but not to the expense of general team success.

I actually prefer a defense first system even if it makes for a less exciting show. Another thing I like about how the players have played under Martin so far is how often they overcome overwhelming odds and never say die. It aint over until the fat lady sings with this team and I love it.

Ozymandias 10-30-2011 04:07 PM

I like him because he reminds me of good ol Alf.

Guess 10-30-2011 04:08 PM

Don't like his system but I like what the team is showing recently, there should be an option to vote "not sure :)"

Habs13 10-30-2011 04:31 PM

No, I do not like him as Habs coach. I dislike his system and I find it boring as all hell, at times, and hard to watch. I hate the way he rotates lines and dislike the way he misuses physical players. He is bad at bringing in youth and continues to goto guys like Spacek, Gill, Gionta, Gomez and Camalleri when the team is basically being carried right now by our youth, by PK, Pacioretty, Eller and Weber.

That said, the past three games have been like no other games this team has played under Martin so I am curious to see what happens next. When was the last time Montreal played so aggressive?

Garo 10-30-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLawyer345 (Post 38721881)
The team was in a bad run, he gets paid lots of money to coach the team, should it really take him 10 games to figure out he needs to change something?

That depends on the changes. You're talking about firing someone that was "long overdue", even though we really had no reason to do that before. Taking too long to adjust... Where? It's close to the same team we had the last two years and it's one we know works decently in that system. It's not like we play that differently right now, we're just playing better. If anything, the players needed to adjust to having so many rookies on defence, and that wasn't something that would happen right away.

Cole is the only point where I agree, but it took eight games for that to change, so I'm not going to get worked up over it.