HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Alexei Emelin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1020009)

#57 11-02-2011 08:44 AM

Alexei Emelin

Am I the only one who's a fan of this guy? We're ruining him right now. We've been waiting for him to come over for what, 6 years? We finally have him and we let him rot in the press box.

How often have the Habs had a young defenseman that was so big, yet could skate so well and make a solid first pass? Am I the only who sees how raw he is but also how much potential that guy really has? I mean, how many defensemen in the NHL are as poised as Emelin and can hit as hard?

I feel he has showed much more in the playing time he's gotten than what people make it out to be. I have rarely seen a player have such high hockey sense while being considered a hard-hitting, defensive defenseman. It is with this type of player that you win cups.

We had a bunch of injuries on the blueline and the kid barely saw any ice time. Now, Diaz and Weber have constantly improved, Gill and Spacek are finally in season-mode, Markov and Campoli are due for a comeback soon, and Subban-Gorges are not going anywhere.

Where does that leave Emelin? Will he want to report to Hamilton? If not, I feel as if we've lost an opportunity to developp quite a defenseman. I think that Diaz should have been sent to Hamilton regardless of what has happened since then, and Emelin should have received his ice time. Asset management...

What are your thoughts on this? I'm not bashing Diaz at all, he has been awesome, but we're wasting Emelin. Imagine if Diaz would have been sent down, he would still be improving, and we'd have Emelin playing solid hockey as well. Diaz could have come up later in the year...

bcv 11-02-2011 08:46 AM

I would rotate him and Gill.

SnapVirus 11-02-2011 08:59 AM

Emelin is better than Gill and Diaz. End of conversation.

Perrah 11-02-2011 09:02 AM

I dont know what they will do once one of markov/campoli are healthy let alone both but he has an out clause to go back to russia if he is sent down. I like the way he plays and I think if he knew english the mistakes he makes would be minimized. He has a great first pass and looks like he has a decent shot that could be worked into the PP if ever necessary. Hopefully he doesnt get demoted and go back to russia because I dont know if he would be so inclined to come back and he will be needed next season when gill and spacek are gone.

I kinda wish we didnt have campoli because it will probably cost us a young dman and he is redundant. They will have markov, subban, diaz and weber for the PP and all of them move the puck well.

bcv 11-02-2011 09:04 AM

One thing though, I hope the Habs are paying someone to teach him proper english ASAP.

Habs 4 Life 11-02-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcv (Post 38842809)
I would rotate him and Gill.

I've said that a couple of games ago, Hal Gill cannot play an entire season. Like this weekend back to back games I hope he uses Emelin in one of them and gives Gill a rest

Crimson Skorpion 11-02-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnapVirus (Post 38843111)
Emelin is better than Gill and Diaz. End of conversation.

Gill, yes. Diaz, no.

Diaz is improving every game and has adapted well to the North American style of play. Emelin is physical, which Diaz is not, but at the same time appears to be intimidated. His positioning also needs working on. Diaz is a notch above Emelin in every aspect of the game, except physicality.

Habs4thewin 11-02-2011 09:06 AM

This is a long season and tons of things could happen... Injuries, trade, rough time for one of top 6 D... And it's not like he doesn't have anything to learn just yet... We can only speculate about his attitude... I'm wondering how he's doing during practice... he's probably working hard or else the media would have bring this up in the news...
New city, new teammate, new language, new coachs, new league... He's probably happy to be in Montreal right now and for now, he's waiting his turn... Cause he probably know the the Habs will think twice before sending him down to Hamilton :)

HH 11-02-2011 09:06 AM

I like him.

He is still learning the NA style and how the NHL works so I am not worried about him being benched.

JLP 11-02-2011 09:07 AM

JM's treatment of Emelin suggests 1) he wants to win now to save his job and so values a steady presence in Gill, 2) he is more comfortable dealing with old guys than developing youngsters.

Arguments can be made but clearly Emelin is a talent we could use going forward, he's also a special case, an All-Star KHL defenceman who came over to play in the NHL not sit in the press box. I hope he's reasonable enough to hold on through November but if he does not get to play and leaves I would not blame him. Would not be the first youngster JM has lost.

CGG 11-02-2011 09:08 AM

It's a long season, he'll get his opportunity.

Having Mark Streit play roughly 0:26 per game as a part time right winger under Carbonneau early in his first season didn't really destroy him as an NHL defenseman.

He's the # 7 D right now, and he's played more than half the games so far. If everyone stays healthy they'll find a way to get him some ice time, whether that's resting one of the vets or rotating him with Diaz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 38843351)
JM's treatment of Emelin suggests 1) he wants to win now to save his job and so values a steady presence in Gill, 2) he is more comfortable dealing with old guys than developing youngsters.

Arguments can be made but clearly Emelin is a talent we could use going forward, he's also a special case, an All-Star KHL defenceman who came over to play in the NHL not sit in the press box. I hope he's reasonable enough to hold on through November but if he does not get to play and leaves I would not blame him. Would not be the first youngster JM has lost.

He's got a contract. He's not going to disappear and go crying back to Russia 5 weeks into the season. He's here til May / June anyway, then you can start to worry that Martin has ruined him.

bcv 11-02-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 38843351)

Meh, even if he's unhappy, pretty sure he's gonna stay the whole season and leave at the end. Why? Because even though there is no official agreement between NHL and KHL, Medvedev REALLY wants it to happen, so I doubt he's gonna allow a player under contract to sign for of the team in his league.

Roulin 11-02-2011 09:10 AM

The NHL is not a development league. Emelin needs to work hard and learn what he can in practice, and seize opportunities whenever they arise. He'll probably get another chance, but it's not the Habs' responsibility to create opportunities for him.

BTW, Gill has had the highest own-zone start % on the team among D. With the Habs leaning so heavily on him, I don't think the criticism is warranted.

gillyguzzler 11-02-2011 09:12 AM

Seing that, in JM's mind, he is not good enough to play even with Markov out, wow did they badly evaluate him during the last many years. It seems their Pro Scouts are horrible at identifying talent - or JM just won't develop it (for some).

Anksun 11-02-2011 09:16 AM

Emelin has communication problems at this point. The whole habs defense is a work in progress, full of young guys trying to learn how to communicates with each others on the ice and learning the system.

It's perfectly reasonable to think emelin has it harder than any other of the young defensemen. He'll get more games by december.

_____

Also he's a lefty. Right now the needs are on the right side.
_____

I sure hope they are helping him learning english as fast as he can, that will do wonders for him soon enough.

JLP 11-02-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGG (Post 38843385)

He's got a contract. He's not going to disappear and go crying back to Russia 5 weeks into the season. He's here til May / June anyway, then you can start to worry that Martin has ruined him.

This is true but wouldn't it be better if the Habs were proactive now and looked at who can be a great asset going forward and worked on bringing out the best in that player? Sorry I have seen us mismanage youth too often to adopt a wait and see attitude.

Perrah 11-02-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGG (Post 38843385)
It's a long season, he'll get his opportunity.

Having Mark Streit play roughly 0:26 per game as a part time right winger under Carbonneau early in his first season didn't really destroy him as an NHL defenseman.

No but it made them lose Streit because they didnt want to give him time on defense so he left for a place where he was given the chance and turned into a top pairing guy.

Regarding emelin if he gets sent to the AHL he has an out clause to Russia and might even be picked up on waivers by a team looking for dmen. How are they going to keep him up when markov or campoli are back?

CGG 11-02-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillyguzzler (Post 38843475)
Seing that, in JM's mind, he is not good enough to play even with Markov out, wow did they badly evaluate him during the last many years. It seems their Pro Scouts are horrible at identifying talent - or JM just won't develop it (for some).

Or, Weber and out-of-nowhere Rafael Diaz have come over and played really, really well. Especially Diaz, who was probably ticketed to Hamilton. Not Martin's fault that some other guys have stepped up and been better (so far) than Emelin.

I'm sure they knew Emelin would take some time to adapt to NA. No one is saying he's not an NHL player.

That's some greatly unwarranted criticism of pro scouting, keep it up.

Corncob 11-02-2011 09:19 AM

Giving a young defenseman the opportunity to work with NHL players in practice, absorb the lessons from a new set of coaches, adjust to a different rink size, settle into a new country and learn a new language does not necessarilly equate to 'ruining'.

Still, remembering how Martin ruined Suban and Price, maybe the ruined Emelin will be a decent player anyway.

CGG 11-02-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrah (Post 38843647)
No but it made them lose Streit because they didnt want to give him time on defense so he left for a place where he was given the chance and turned into a top pairing guy.

He had to go to the Islanders, a complete joke of a franchise at that time, to get that opportunity. No one in the world thought Streit was a # 1 D. Sucks that we lost him, but Gainey didn't think the guy was worth $4 million. Can't say I did either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrah (Post 38843647)
Regarding emelin if he gets sent to the AHL he has an out clause to Russia and might even be picked up on waivers by a team looking for dmen. How are they going to keep him up when markov or campoli are back?

All rookies have to sign a two-way contract. There will be no waivers, he simply is not eligible for waivers, so please drop this. Out clauses with the go-to-Russia-free card are purely a myth at this point as well. He might have been able to return if Montreal tried to cut him at the start of the season, but now that he's made the team and played in the NHL he can't simply jump back to Russia if they try to send him to Hamilton.

But it's in everyone's best interest to keep him in Montreal and work him into the lineup on a semi-regular basis.

Lshap 11-02-2011 09:31 AM

As others here have said, Emelin didn't look as good in NHL-style play as everyone had hoped -- not yet, anyway. His physicality alone isn't enough to leapfrog him ahead of the more-poised Diaz, nor is it enough to supplant an established veteran. Size is nice on defense; intelligence and poise much nicer.

capnk 11-02-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs4thewin (Post 38843333)
This is a long season and tons of things could happen... Injuries, trade, rough time for one of top 6 D... And it's not like he doesn't have anything to learn just yet... We can only speculate about his attitude... I'm wondering how he's doing during practice... he's probably working hard or else the media would have bring this up in the news...
New city, new teammate, new language, new coachs, new league... He's probably happy to be in Montreal right now and for now, he's waiting his turn... Cause he probably know the the Habs will think twice before sending him down to Hamilton :)

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!!!!
We have to assume that the coaches have spoken to him to let him know that they're easing him into the new game, size of ice and much tougher competition.

We don't know what he's thinking. If it were me, I'd be pretty stoked to be learning the ropes.
I'd practice as hard as possible and would be extremely grateful to be in the best hockey league in the world.

gillyguzzler 11-02-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGG (Post 38843667)
Or, Weber and out-of-nowhere Rafael Diaz have come over and played really, really well. Especially Diaz, who was probably ticketed to Hamilton. Not Martin's fault that some other guys have stepped up and been better (so far) than Emelin.

I'm sure they knew Emelin would take some time to adapt to NA. No one is saying he's not an NHL player.

That's some greatly unwarranted criticism of pro scouting, keep it up.

You're defending Montreal's Pro Scouts? Scott Gomez! Enough said. Keep it up.

Gabe84 11-02-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 38843271)
Gill, yes. Diaz, no.

Diaz is improving every game and has adapted well to the North American style of play. Emelin is physical, which Diaz is not, but at the same time appears to be intimidated. His positioning also needs working on. Diaz is a notch above Emelin in every aspect of the game, except physicality.

He said it was the end of the conversation! You aren't supposed to reply, geesh...

I hope Emelin gets to play soon. I wouldn't call him better than Gill just yet. But he won't get better if he's a bench warmer.

tollb2 11-02-2011 09:43 AM

i hope he does not go back :( i wanted this guy here and now he finally is he doesen't play .. I hope he sticks it out with us and still wants to be here. But Markov and Campoli will be back soon