HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NHL Draft - Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jurco (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1020375)

newfy 11-02-2011 06:35 PM

Jurco

Hes riding a 10(?) game point streak now in the Q. His consistency was always questioned but now that he has top line duties he has beent earing the Q up.

Hes on a good line with Phillips and Huberdeau which helps, but the consistency is starting to show. Sometimes it seems like maybe with his skill set being stuck down on the second line hurt his draft stock last year.

What other reasons were there for him slipping besides consistency? the skill set is there, hes big and pretty good 2 way player. I wasnt sure about him at first but Im slowly starting to love this kid as a prospect.

ps Check this apple at the 32 second mark

Garyboy 11-02-2011 07:02 PM

You sort of answered your own question. Consistency. Has a much higher ceiling than a lot of the 1st rounders drafted ahead of him though.

RomersWorld* 11-02-2011 07:02 PM

Sure, he has a lot of skill but he has never been able to put up "outstanding" numbers. If he is 4th-6th on a QMJHL team.. how can he be expected to put up numbers in the NHL?

Right now he has as many points as 6th round pick Ryan Tesink. I don't know, he could be a good NHL player but I don't see why everyone was screaming "steal" when he was drafted. Dangles and stick handling are top notch though obviously.

GM17* 11-02-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomersWorld (Post 38863159)
Sure, he has a lot of skill but he has never been able to put up "outstanding" numbers. If he is 4th-6th on a QMJHL team.. how can he be expected to put up numbers in the NHL?

Right now he has as many points as 6th round pick Ryan Tesink. I don't know, he could be a good NHL player but I don't see why everyone was screaming "steal" when he was drafted. Dangles and stick handling are top notch though obviously.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't know much about the Saint John Sea Dogs. He'd be a first line RW on almost any other team in the country.

DetroitWhat 11-02-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

He's big and incredibly talented. He's averaging 1.4 points per game after a relatively slow start. He was drafted in the 2nd round, obviously people will assume its a good pick.

ponder 11-02-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

The Sea Dogs are crazy stacked, he's 4th in scoring on the team, and 2 of the 3 players ahead of him are 1st round picks (including 3rd overall pick Jonathan Huberdeau). Plus he's only played 13 of the Sea Dogs 19 games so far, don't see why you're complaining about 8 goals, 18 points in 13 games, those are nice numbers.

Also, Detroit have a nice record in terms of identifying and developing highly skilled players who dropped in the draft because they haven't put it all together yet. People would probably be less optimistic about his future if he'd been drafted by a team like Columbus, Phoenix or Florida, but with a team like Detroit there's a good chance they'll (eventually) get the most out of his talent.

RomersWorld* 11-02-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 38863773)
The Sea Dogs are crazy stacked, he's 4th in scoring on the team, and 2 of the 3 players ahead of him are 1st round picks (including 3rd overall pick Jonathan Huberdeau). Plus he's only played 13 of the Sea Dogs 19 games so far, don't see why you're complaining about 8 goals, 18 points in 13 games, those are nice numbers.

Also, Detroit have a nice record in terms of identifying and developing highly skilled players who dropped in the draft because they haven't put it all together yet. People would probably be less optimistic about his future if he'd been drafted by a team like Columbus, Phoenix or Florida, but with a team like Detroit there's a good chance they'll (eventually) get the most out of his talent.

Not really complaining... just observing.

Supposedly now Jurco is on a line with Huberdeau and is putting up these great numbers. Zach Phillips gets called a "product of Huberdeau" all the time. Phillips still puts up insanely good numbers. Yet, I still see it all the time. Phillips isn't considered as good of a prospect because he plays with him.

Now that Jurco is playing with both of them and putting up good numbers it is because he is amazing and has found his stride, not because he is a product of Huberdeau. Seems like a double standard here. Phillips puts up better numbers than Jurco whether Jurco is with them or not.

Jurco was 6th on the team in points last year. Behind Steven Anthony, Stanislav Galiev, Michael Kirkpatrick, Zack Phillips, and Jonathan Huberdeau. Obviously only 3 players are on the 1st line so I fail to see how Jurco being on the 2nd is an excuse for his numbers.

Basically, with how great Jurco is supposed to be, I figured he should be putting up great numbers regardless of who he plays with. Relative to his teammates, he isn't that outstanding of a player(right now). Meh, I'm sure people who watch him every game know more. He has been improving his numbers this season, so hopefully he keeps it up.

Breakfast of Champs 11-02-2011 09:52 PM

Skill level is off the charts, will give you the highlight reel plays and played big when it mattered for st john last year. The times I've seen him live I thought he was better than phillips.

jebs 11-02-2011 10:09 PM

Hes flashy. I like.

Filppula 11-02-2011 10:23 PM

He had 2 assists tonight meaning he's now on an 11 game point streak. In 14 games this season he has 8+12 and he's a +16. He's only gone pointless in one game this season, and given consistency has been his biggest flaw, it's a very impressive start. Last 6 games 4+8=12.

I love his combination of size and skill.

alko 11-03-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

There are lot of examples, that a good productive guy in NHL wasnt in junior a point freak.

GM17* 11-03-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomersWorld (Post 38875889)

Supposedly now Jurco is on a line with Huberdeau and is putting up these great numbers. Zach Phillips gets called a "product of Huberdeau" all the time. Phillips still puts up insanely good numbers. Yet, I still see it all the time. Phillips isn't considered as good of a prospect because he plays with him.

Now that Jurco is playing with both of them and putting up good numbers it is because he is amazing and has found his stride, not because he is a product of Huberdeau. Seems like a double standard here. Phillips puts up better numbers than Jurco whether Jurco is with them or not.

Jurco was 6th on the team in points last year. Behind Steven Anthony, Stanislav Galiev, Michael Kirkpatrick, Zack Phillips, and Jonathan Huberdeau. Obviously only 3 players are on the 1st line so I fail to see how Jurco being on the 2nd is an excuse for his numbers.

Basically, with how great Jurco is supposed to be, I figured he should be putting up great numbers regardless of who he plays with. Relative to his teammates, he isn't that outstanding of a player(right now). Meh, I'm sure people who watch him every game know more. He has been improving his numbers this season, so hopefully he keeps it up.

Taking into account everything he does off the puck, he's truly a well rounded brilliant player.

I don't know why he's inconsistent, but he is. It's not for lack of trying. See Kovalchuk. He's SO streaky and is always trying 100%.

Filppula 11-16-2011 08:28 PM

Jurco is quietly having a very, very solid season. He's well on track to easily surpass his previous career high point totals. In 20 games this season, Jurco has a point in all but 2 of them, and he has 9 multi-point games. He's got 29 points all up.

He's got such amazing skill, and he has good size. The Wings compared him to Hossa (obviously would love to have him turn out even half as good), and I can certainly see why. He's got that type of potential.

Future 11-16-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filppula (Post 39528619)
Jurco is quietly having a very, very solid season. He's well on track to easily surpass his previous career high point totals. In 20 games this season, Jurco has a point in all but 2 of them, and he has 9 multi-point games. He's got 29 points all up.

He's got such amazing skill, and he has good size. The Wings compared him to Hossa (obviously would love to have him turn out even half as good), and I can certainly see why. He's got that type of potential.

I highly doubt he will ever be as good as Hossa.

kuick 11-16-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulemon (Post 39532385)

When will people understand that when comparing prospects to NHLers, majority of the time they are referring to STYLE OF PLAY, not level of play or ceiling.

I remember around the time of the draft, Jurco kept talking about proving he is more than just a YouTube sensation, and he's done just that. Really well rounded, good player in all zones.

newfy 11-16-2011 09:43 PM

2 apples tonight.

Even with Huberdeau out hurt he is thriving which is good to see

Filppula 11-16-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Yes, I said those exact words.

Scoutguy77 11-17-2011 07:08 AM

Watched him play last night and probably 45 times the last two years. In a nutshell, very talented but refuses to compete. Will NOT take a hit to make a play, never seen it in 3 years.
But if he turns it around has skill to be a top 6 producing guy, so just have to be patient and see

thrillhous 11-17-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Really sticking your neck out on this one aren't you. Even Jurco's mother would probably say the same thing.

ShawnTHW 11-17-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

That's a BOLD statement. :sarcasm:

Anchor Town* 11-17-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacrosseguy (Post 39547463)
Watched him play last night and probably 45 times the last two years. In a nutshell, very talented but refuses to compete. Will NOT take a hit to make a play, never seen it in 3 years.
But if he turns it around has skill to be a top 6 producing guy, so just have to be patient and see

He must have a **** ton of skill if he can put up 1.5 PPG without competing once

HanSolo 11-17-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomersWorld (Post 38875889)

Lol. It doesn't apply to our prospects but the same goes for the Ducks.

Perry is only good cause of Getzlaf Ryan Visnovsky Fowler Selanne
Getzlaf is good only cause of the same players
And so on and so forth. No Duck is as good as he seems. He's only good because of another player who actually sucks. If a player is getting points it's not because of the merits of another player. Each player on a line makes the other better. I'm sure if Jurco wasn't playing on that line, his linemates' numbers would drop a bit.

Filppula 11-17-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the banks (Post 39564775)
He must have a **** ton of skill if he can put up 1.5 PPG without competing once

:laugh:

Filppula 11-20-2011 08:32 PM

2 more goals for Tomas tonight.

He's up to 16 goals from 22 games, to go with 17 assists.

Still only 2 pointless games from 22 games, and he's currently on a 7 game point streak.

Anchor Town* 11-20-2011 10:17 PM

So much for inconsistency