HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Speculation: Vermette on the block? Teams calling about Brassard (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1020995)

KeithBWhittington 11-03-2011 11:19 AM

Vermette on the block? Teams calling about Brassard

Anybody that listened to the podcast on bluejacketsxtra.com yet:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ast-nov-3.html

About 17 mins in, Portzline says that Vermette is the player that the Jackets would like to move in exchange for help on the backend, but (no surprise) teams have been calling about Brassard's availability and (apparently) are being told he's not available at this time.

I think maybe its time to explore an option involving Brass if you can get better value than you would for Vermette. He's been here for a while, was drafted in 06, played another year in junior and then a year in Syracuse, he's been given more time and patience and development than most of our prospects, I think we have what we have with Brass, I think he's a number two center on a bad team at best.

wahsnairb 11-03-2011 11:33 AM

they both can go.. anaheim needs a 2C pretty bad

use vermette + picks + whomever is necessary to land ryan
use brassard and/or our defenders to upgrade at d if teams seem interested in him

(obviously this is all contingent upon the return of carter)

Nash - Johansen (has to learn to be an NHL C.. quick :D) - Ryan
Huselius - Carter - Prospal
Umberger - Mackenzie - Atkinson/Kubalik/Mayorov/Giroux/whoever
Bass - Pahlsson - Boll/Dorsett until he is back

Tyutin - Wisniewski
Methot - D upgrade
Moore/Savard - whoever is still around

Mason
Dekanich

and huselius can be moved, if necessary, to relieve some cap pressure... oh man, it's perfect :rolly:

Moo 11-03-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington (Post 38895029)
Anybody that listened to the podcast on bluejacketsxtra.com yet:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ast-nov-3.html

About 17 mins in, Portzline says

That is where I stopped reading with serious intent and took it half-heartedly. I lost a lot of confidence in the Dispatch after the over-the-top Kevin Dineen push for HC.

If Canadian media starts reporting this, and uses their own valid sources instead of the Dispatch, I'll start to believe it. Until then, rumors are rumors right now.

Double-Shift Lassť 11-03-2011 11:54 AM

Edited thread title to reflect that Russell's name is not mentioned in the segment about trades.

TSA0402 11-03-2011 12:08 PM

I would rather move Brassard than Vermette but I find it hard to believe that more teams are interested in Brassard. Vermette is more versatile and Johansen is looking to take over Brassard's on top six. Vermette would be a perfect 3rd line center who can transfer into the top six in a pinch.

I think Brassard paired with a guy like Skinner, on Carolina would be pretty lethal. Alot of Columbus issues this season, are due to the fact most games they are icing 3-4 mediocre d-men per game with terrible mistakes costing quite a few games.

CapnCornelius 11-03-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahsnairb (Post 38895519)

use brassard and/or our defenders to upgrade at d if teams seem interested in him

Tyutin - Wisniewski
Methot - D upgrade

Mason
Dekanich

and huselius can be moved, if necessary, to relieve some cap pressure... oh man, it's perfect :rolly:

Vermette+ for Bobby Ryan...

:biglaugh:

Come next season, the Ducks have way bigger problems and Antoinne Vermette isn't going to solve that. This move makes the Ducks worse in the short term and doesn't help them much in the long term. Unless you really want to hand them a lottery pick, and I don't.

blahblah 11-03-2011 12:39 PM

If Howson is holding onto to Brass over Vermette, we have bigger issues than I thought.

leesmith 11-03-2011 12:43 PM

I would feel comfortable moving Brassard if the return was right.

leesmith 11-03-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahsnairb (Post 38895519)

Tyutin - Wisniewski
Methot - D upgrade

Mason
Dekanich

The Ryan trade doesn't seem realistic. RyJo is getting it done on the wing. I'd focus on the trade to upgrade the D.

Byrral 11-03-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 38898847)
If Howson is holding onto to Brass over Vermette, we have bigger issues then I thought.

I am clear with your thoughts here.

What I heard tho made it sound like the return that Brass would garner wasn't up to what Howson would be willing to trade him for moreso than that he would rather trade Vermette over Brass. Not defending Howson here either for the craptastic job he has done.

Double-Shift Lassť 11-03-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

If Howson is holding onto to Brass over Vermette, we have bigger issues then I thought.

This.

Provided Portzline is not just spitballing or reading the organizational tea leaves, this just does not make any sense.

Here's my deal on Brassard. I've run anywhere from warm to freezing cold on him. I believe he thinks the game reasonably well, and I believe he's a good character guy - not a leader but a guy who "gets it." That said, I don't know that he has the game to back up how he sees things, at least not at an NHL skill-player level. And he's not yet figured out what his role is, or maybe he's having trouble embracing or adapting to what his new role is or what the staff is telling him. At this point in his career (and at his current contract), if you could find a team willing to give him another shot at a second-line center role and send you back a mid-pairing defenseman, you do it, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byrral (Post 38899811)
I am clear with your thoughts here.

What I heard tho made it sound like the return that Brass would garner wasn't up to what Howson would be willing to trade him for moreso than that he would rather trade Vermette over Brass.

I didn't get that but I'm certainly willing to accept that's what was meant. It's an interesting read.

blahblah 11-03-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byrral (Post 38899811)
What I heard tho made it sound like the return that Brass would garner wasn't up to what Howson would be willing to trade him for moreso than that he would rather trade Vermette over Brass.

Then maybe what was written wasn't what discussed in the podcast, which was there was only interest in Brass and that Brass was listed as unavailable.

That would imply the market was better for Brass at this time.

I'll listen to it when I can.

Byrral 11-03-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť (Post 38899993)

I didn't get that but I'm certainly willing to accept that's what was meant. It's an interesting read.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 38900261)
Then maybe what was written wasn't what discussed in the podcast, which was there was only interest in Brass and that Brass was listed as unavailable.

That would imply the market was better for Brass at this time.

I'll listen to it when I can.

Didn't mean that to come across as fact, more opinion based on what I heard I guess. Anyway, I went back and re-listened to that part again. Definately didn't come from the pod-cast.

wahsnairb 11-03-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnCornelius (Post 38898327)

Come next season, the Ducks have way bigger problems and Antoinne Vermette isn't going to solve that. This move makes the Ducks worse in the short term and doesn't help them much in the long term. Unless you really want to hand them a lottery pick, and I don't.

I said + whatever it takes.. I just startedddd with vermette because their biggest need is 2C.

Calm down

TaketheCannoli 11-03-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnCornelius (Post 38898327)

Please explain. What issues are going to confront Anaheim next season? You've made several remarks that they are screwed up. I haven't followed them closely enough to know what's going on. Why is their future so bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith (Post 38899083)
I would feel comfortable moving Brassard if the return was right.

I feel comfortable moving anyone on the team for the right return.

Gagnefan924 11-03-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

If Howson is holding onto to Brass over Vermette, we have bigger issues than I thought.

Or maybe he is driving up the price? He did land us Carter you know. Maybe he's not a total idiot.

Fro 11-03-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 (Post 38904117)
Or maybe he is driving up the price? He did land us Carter you know. Maybe he's not a total idiot.

was gonna post most of this...i'll dangle vermette to drive offers for brass :dunno: doesn't sound right in my head, so that means its probably what he's trying to do :laugh:

TSA0402 11-03-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 (Post 38904117)

Have you seen what Couturier is doing in Philadelphia? Hell he is outscoring Carter. :laugh:

Of course that is shortsighted but Howson needs to be held accountable.

Gagnefan924 11-03-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSA0402 (Post 38904675)
Have you seen what Couturier is doing in Philadelphia? Hell he is outscoring Carter. :laugh:

Of course that is shortsighted but Howson needs to be held accountable.

Oh I totally agree with you about Howson and accountability. I was just offering an option to what he might be doing. Lets be honest, Vermette hasnt been good, if you want some one with potential to thrive in a different situation, its Brassard. That being said, I dont care who he trades, whether it be Brass or Vermette, I just want a legit top 4 dman.

blahblah 11-03-2011 02:58 PM

For my purposes, Howson is a blithering idiot. The reality is, he's a smart guy that that holds a totally different ideology than myself. At least in hockey.

I also wouldn't trust that guy as far as Cougar would throw him, if given the chance.

With the ideology in mind, that seems to support the idea that he would want to keep Brass over Vermette. So until something happens to change that, I'll just continue to happily and hoping he gets his dumb ass terminated.

pete goegan 11-03-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 38905037)
For my purposes, Howson is a blithering idiot. The reality is, he's a smart guy that that holds a totally different ideology than myself. At least in hockey.

I also wouldn't trust that guy as far as Cougar would throw him, if given the chance.

With the ideology in mind, that seems to support the idea that he would want to keep Brass over Vermette. So until something happens to change that, I'll just continue to happily and hoping he gets his dumb ass terminated.

A very honest post. Is that sort of thing permitted around here?

Double-Shift Lassť 11-03-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete goegan (Post 38905277)
A very honest post. Is that sort of thing permitted around here?

There is nothing about it in the site rules. I'm told there was years ago but it was one of those "fell into disregard due to lack of applicability" kind of things.

FANonymous 11-03-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leek (Post 38904011)
Please explain. What issues are going to confront Anaheim next season? You've made several remarks that they are screwed up. I haven't followed them closely enough to know what's going on. Why is their future so bad?

Well, they had to settle for Fowler instead of getting RyJo for one. :sarcasm:

mt-svk 11-03-2011 04:07 PM

I prefer to keep Vermette over Brassard because:

1. Brassard should be our the first line center, he is not we have Carter now.
2. We have the second line center in Johansen who is IMO better than Brassard is.
3. Vermette can play the third line center better than Brassard he is speeder, he has better checking, he has better FO, he has better defense and he can be used on the wing what Brassard cannot.
4. Brassard cannot be prefering over Johansen he is not so good as Ryan.

Trade him it is better for him too and give a chance to Johansen with better wings and Derick to get his chance in another team.

IMO:

Umberger--Carter--Atkinson
Prospal--Johansen--Nash
Mayorov--Vermette--Kubalik
Calvert--MacKenzie--Bass

after returning Boll he could be replace Bass in the fourth line

Seedtype 11-03-2011 04:33 PM

I also think we should keep Vermette over Brassard. Maybe if Brassard would do better in face-offs more ofter I could see keeping him as the center of a third scoring line, but I don't see it.
Also, if trading Brassard means a top 4 defensive d-man coming back in the trade, it would be totally be worth it.