HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rumor: Letestu (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1021865)

DegenX 11-04-2011 10:47 AM

Letestu
 
Making the morning rounds through the blogosphere, found a reference to this article on PensBurgh:

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/T...For-Pittsburgh (Blues blog)


Here's the link to the original blog post: http://www.pensburgh.com/2011/11/4/2...e-on-the-block

WVP 11-04-2011 10:58 AM

Good cap hit but I think Letestu's one-way deal will limit his value and potential suitors with his current form.

bigd 11-04-2011 11:01 AM

Right now it looks like they may need another D-man.

SirBrad 11-04-2011 11:03 AM

They have to make room for Sid, TK and Staal by next Friday. :)

wej20 11-04-2011 11:04 AM

Should be able to fetch the same as Cal O'Reilly.

DegenX 11-04-2011 11:11 AM

Probably (definitely, maybe) out in left field with this one, but since we're not too happy with Letestu's performance, and the Blues' seem to be a little frustrated with Oshie ..

Sotty 11-04-2011 11:14 AM

They could get a decent bottom6 player for Letestu. He doesn't have many points so far, but there are many teams who could use a center that can win some faceoffs.

Captain Hook 11-04-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 38957273)
Should be able to fetch the same as Cal O'Reilly.

Sounds about right. He would have brought more in return last season, but his value has been drug down some now that he's on a one-way deal and has had such a lackluster start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 38957637)
If Pens are dealing Letestu it's to clear roster space so they probably want picks in return or maybe a prospect but one who isn't in the AHL.

Edit: I agree about this too.

wej20 11-04-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IEC (Post 38957589)
They could get a decent bottom6 player for Letestu. He doesn't have many points so far, but there are many teams who could use a center that can win some faceoffs.

If Pens are dealing Letestu it's to clear roster space so they probably want picks in return or maybe a prospect but one who isn't in the AHL.

Dread Pirate Roberts 11-04-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 38957637)
If Pens are dealing Letestu it's to clear roster space so they probably want picks in return or maybe a prospect but one who isn't in the AHL.

It's to clear NHL roster space. The Pens would waive Letestu back to the AHL if they thought he could clear, so if the best prospect offered is an AHL-level player, they'd certainly take him.

wej20 11-04-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts (Post 38959657)
It's to clear NHL roster space. The Pens would waive Letestu back to the AHL if they thought he could clear, so if the best prospect offered is an AHL-level player, they'd certainly take him.

if went to the AHL wouldn't he have to go through re-entry waivers if he was recalled? I have a hard time believe he wouldn't get claimed on re-entry and then we'd be on the hook for half his salary. I was only guessing they wouldn't want an AHL guy because of the contract limit but I'm not sure exactly where they're at.

Dread Pirate Roberts 11-04-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 38960451)
if went to the AHL wouldn't he have to go through re-entry waivers if he was recalled? I have a hard time believe he wouldn't get claimed on re-entry and then we'd be on the hook for half his salary. I was only guessing they wouldn't want an AHL guy because of the contract limit but I'm not sure exactly where they're at.

Yeah, but that wasn't my point. My point was that they don't want Letestu out of their system, they just want his NHL roster spot worse.

wej20 11-04-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts (Post 38960649)
Yeah, but that wasn't my point. My point was that they don't want Letestu out of their system, they just want his NHL roster spot worse.

my point was that if he's in the AHL and they can't call him up because of re-entry waivers then there isn't much point in having him in the system.

wheelz87 11-04-2011 12:31 PM

Fine with me. He has been a major disappointment not only this year but last year as well. He's already 26, low on the depth chart. Go do your thing Ray!

wej20 11-04-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelz87 (Post 38960835)
Fine with me. He has been a major disappointment not only this year but last year as well. He's already 26, low on the depth chart. Go do your thing Ray!

not sure how anyone could be disappointed with him last year.

khaoskennedy 11-04-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelz87 (Post 38960835)
Fine with me. He has been a major disappointment not only this year but last year as well. He's already 26, low on the depth chart. Go do your thing Ray!

ur right this year has been disappointing but last year he was playing well, until he was injured and had to play as a 1st/2nd line Center with Neal and Kovalev.

that being said id rather we trade him that just lose him on waivers

Captain Hook 11-04-2011 12:41 PM

I wouldn't call last season a disappointment. He was streaky and didn't do much after his injury, but he still had a solid year overall, especially for an undrafted guy.

This year has been different though. He's been consistently invisible and hasn't brought anything to the lineup when he's been in it. I think there's a reason he's been so much worse the 2nd half of last year and so far this year and that's his role became too much for him to handle and he also hasn't found any real chemistry with anybody since the Buzz Line broke up .

I think chemistry can be a big thing for any player. Staal looks a lot better with Cooke and Kennedy than anybody else. Crosby has that with Kunitz and Dupuis and Malkin had that with Sykora and then struggled mightily to find chemistry with anybody else after Sykora's game fell off the face of the earth and the Pens let him go.

gordie 11-04-2011 01:05 PM

Why would anybody want a center that has exactly 1 assist in 11 games played this season and is -6? Who could possibly be that desperate??

The Room* 11-04-2011 01:09 PM

Loved him before his injury last year but since then, he's done a 180 and is playing like dog **** now. Hope he finds his touch somewhere else.

vecens24 11-04-2011 01:11 PM

I wouldn't be shocked to see him dealt for a DMan at the moment just as a depth guy, unless Shero is okay with Bortuzzo.

I mean right now we have Martin and Engelland as the only guys healthy all year, Orpik and Letang have missed games, Niskanen got a little nicked last night, and Michalek and Lovejoy are out. So say Letang has to miss next game (sheerly for refurbishing purposes after playing 34 mins last night while nicked up), we're looking at Martin, Orpik, Niskanen, Engelland, Strait, then maybe Valabik or Bortuzzo. Another depth defenseman might not be the worst plan.

A single pick would be fine too, like O'Reilly, I'm just saying not to rule out a defenseman.

EDIT: wait, we brought up Picard. Jesus Christ now I want a DMan.

regard 11-04-2011 01:12 PM

Yeah if theres a team that needs a center and has two fast energy guys to put him with he could really work for them.

Maybe in Anaheim he could center Beleskey and Smith-Pelley or something like that.
In Chicago im not sure. Thier 4th line now consists of Mayers/Carcillo/Kruger/Olesz??


If we traded him for a Dman I wonder who we could get that isnt waiver eligible. He'd have to be a pretty basic Dman with no upside Id think.

vecens24 11-04-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regard (Post 38962715)
If we traded him for a Dman I wonder who we could get that isnt waiver eligible. He'd have to be a pretty basic Dman with no upside Id think.

So....pretty much their equivalent of Strait?

JTG 11-04-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 38961257)
I wouldn't call last season a disappointment. He was streaky and didn't do much after his injury, but he still had a solid year overall, especially for an undrafted guy.

This year has been different though. He's been consistently invisible and hasn't brought anything to the lineup when he's been in it. I think there's a reason he's been so much worse the 2nd half of last year and so far this year and that's his role became too much for him to handle and he also hasn't found any real chemistry with anybody since the Buzz Line broke up .

I think chemistry can be a big thing for any player. Staal looks a lot better with Cooke and Kennedy than anybody else. Crosby has that with Kunitz and Dupuis and Malkin had that with Sykora and then struggled mightily to find chemistry with anybody else after Sykora's game fell off the face of the earth and the Pens let him go.

Good post

regard 11-04-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vecens24 (Post 38962903)
So....pretty much their equivalent of Strait?

Yeah I guess so.

The reason I said that is because if hes waiver eligible we'd just lose the DMan on waivers instead, or have to trade him eventually.
If hes not waiver eligible then hes going to be younger and theres not many teams that would want to give up a legit prospect for Letestu.

Skk82 11-04-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vecens24 (Post 38962903)
So....pretty much their equivalent of Strait?

Strait, at the same age, is leap years ahead of where Rob Scuderi was. I wouldn't say he's reached his ceiling yet (even if he doesn't continue to improve as much as Scuderi did).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.