HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Offering suggestions to teammates (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1023969)

KidRobot 11-07-2011 12:09 AM

Offering suggestions to teammates

Obviously this is really a men's league issue because a coach at any other level would take care of this but...

I play mens league nowadays and I'm one of the stronger players on the ice (not a braq...) and time after time my fellow dman pinches way too hard when the other team has about 3 people about to breakout of the zone. Leaving me to defend about 10 2 or 3 on 1's a game. Obviously we're gonna lose.

Anyways, he gets back to the bench and I try to tell him to try to pinch a little less when they have clear control of the puck and he FLIPS out saying blah blah blah mens league blah blah defense isnt the issue (down 5-1 at this point)

Seriously if you don't care about getting better/winning why not just play open hockey? Save your money.

But any way I can possibly make suggestions? I didn't say this is a negative manor with any time of negativity towards him. Just a bit baffling getting being called an a-hole for trying to help.

nullterm 11-07-2011 12:46 AM

Ask him if he wants to play as forward if he wants more offense.

S E P H 11-07-2011 12:46 AM

In that type of situation, I would've been an a-hole as well, if he was complaining about defense isn't an issue,men leagues crap.

Just like you said,

Quote:

Seriously if you don't care about getting better/winning why not just play open hockey? Save your money.
Is what I would've told him.

Next time he does it and it leads to a goal, go to him and use leadership. Be assertive, but don't cuss him out. Use a few cuss words, but don't be angry. If he doesn't like it, he will ultimately leave the team and you save yourself a problem. Also get a few teammates to back you up, more people you have will open his eyes to his mistakes.

RedLight40 11-07-2011 09:26 AM

When you first get back to the bench, he's probably feeling guilty. Most people cant handle criticism at that point. I'd wait til he has calmed down, then talk with the whole team about strategy. How hard should you pinch in general, when winning, and when losing. Getting everyone on the same page could help a lot.

Axman 11-07-2011 10:29 AM

It sounds like your teammate can't handle constructive criticism. As long as your gentle in giving him advice and not screaming in his face, icant see the problem. I'm always open to other teammates giving me pointers and discussing positioning and things. even the refs help sometimes.

That being said, it is annoying to have someone angrily screaming at you like it's the 7th game of the Stanley Cup. One captain on another team has his guys so nervous and frazzled, I have no idea how playing under those conditions could ever be fun.

Stickmata 11-07-2011 10:58 AM

I agree advice is warranted in that situation, but I'd do it after the game, not during the game. Even good advice, during a game, often just creates more tension and that's never a good thing.

CGNY87 11-07-2011 12:06 PM

Personally I love any advice I get when I come back to the bench. Sometimes if I missed an opportunity I may seem a little short with teammates but overall I love the advice. Anything to improve my game and understanding of hockey.

I had a guy like that on my old team. We were down by two goals and wouldn't back check (he was on D!). He wouldn't take any advice from anyone but was the first one to jump on the offense about one thing or another. Needless to say he was not back the next year.

Jarick 11-07-2011 12:20 PM

On beer league, if the team isn't serious, I usually keep my mouth shut. With my team I've been on it for 5 years so I'm comfortable addressing the team as a whole but usually not calling one guy out. I will say things to guys I know really well who can take criticism but they usually know if they effed up.

I'm always saying positive stuff though everybody needs to hear that.

noobman 11-07-2011 12:29 PM

It's just a personality thing. Some guys know there's always room to improve and will welcome advice, while others think they know it all and won't budge. It's the latter gruop that often stagnates in their development and often hurts their team.

See if you can get the guys to collectively make a change. If all of you decide that he should be on forward he'll concede. Getting him to change his game doesn't sound possible right now.

I'm sure the winger on the d-man's side isn't a huge fan of him either if he's always jumping in on the rush and wasting the winger's shift. I've had a few ****** situations where I was playing between the bluelines for a whole shift because the D-man jumped in on every rush (forcing me to take the point) then rushed back on the backcheck and barrelled right in the zone (forcing me to cover the point).

The Tikkanen 11-07-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 39094877)
It's just a personality thing. Some guys know there's always room to improve and will welcome advice, while others think they know it all and won't budge. It's the latter gruop that often stagnates in their development and often hurts their team.

See if you can get the guys to collectively make a change. If all of you decide that he should be on forward he'll concede. Getting him to change his game doesn't sound possible right now.

I'm sure the winger on the d-man's side isn't a huge fan of him either if he's always jumping in on the rush and wasting the winger's shift. I've had a few ****** situations where I was playing between the bluelines for a whole shift because the D-man jumped in on every rush (forcing me to take the point) then rushed back on the backcheck and barrelled right in the zone (forcing me to cover the point).

Agreed. The most important part to talking to teammates is understanding each person's personality. I prefer to be yelled at because it pisses me off and I play better. If I'm patted on the back I really don't care cause all that means is I was doing what I was supposed to do. For the OP I think there are only 2 options:you leaving the team or the guy leaving the team. He's not open to criticism and his lack of fundamental positioning will kill any team he's on, he's like a time bomb no matter what team he's on. My hockey life got a lot easier the day I stopped yelling at teammates, understanding some people don't care about getting better and finding a team I belong on and can get better at hockey.

KidRobot 11-07-2011 05:07 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. It would be ideal to tell them before/after the game but I'm not a captain or anything and our C is rarely there. Lots of issues on this team I'd say. Guess I just gotta rough this situation out.

For the record I'm one of those guys that loves hearing some constructive criticism since I'm not that far into my playing career and I know I make plenty of mistakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 39096613)
Agreed. The most important part to talking to teammates is understanding each person's personality. I prefer to be yelled at because it pisses me off and I play better. If I'm patted on the back I really don't care cause all that means is I was doing what I was supposed to do. For the OP I think there are only 2 options:you leaving the team or the guy leaving the team. He's not open to criticism and his lack of fundamental positioning will kill any team he's on, he's like a time bomb no matter what team he's on. My hockey life got a lot easier the day I stopped yelling at teammates, understanding some people don't care about getting better and finding a team I belong on and can get better at hockey.

This is undoubtedly my last year on this team. Too many players on the bench, too few give two sh_ts and too many people that are just bad players. Couple of them are good guys and truly wanna get better...might try to take them with me when I go.

Gonna take the reigns and start my own team in a cheaper league so I can afford to keep about 10 skaters+goalie that actually care. And get rid of any guy dogging it and taking 4 minute shifts.

budster 11-07-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLight40 (Post 39088943)
When you first get back to the bench, he's probably feeling guilty. Most people cant handle criticism at that point. I'd wait til he has calmed down, then talk with the whole team about strategy. How hard should you pinch in general, when winning, and when losing. Getting everyone on the same page could help a lot.

Yep, that's what the locker room is for.

The Tikkanen 11-08-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRobot (Post 39104801)
Thanks for the advice guys. It would be ideal to tell them before/after the game but I'm not a captain or anything and our C is rarely there. Lots of issues on this team I'd say. Guess I just gotta rough this situation out.

For the record I'm one of those guys that loves hearing some constructive criticism since I'm not that far into my playing career and I know I make plenty of mistakes.

This is undoubtedly my last year on this team. Too many players on the bench, too few give two sh_ts and too many people that are just bad players. Couple of them are good guys and truly wanna get better...might try to take them with me when I go.

Gonna take the reigns and start my own team in a cheaper league so I can afford to keep about 10 skaters+goalie that actually care. And get rid of any guy dogging it and taking 4 minute shifts.

That's the way to go. Some of the most fun teams I've been on are teams with guys who play and think the way I do. I'm on 1 team right now that I like the guys and know they care about playing hockey like I do and I'm on another where I sit on the bench for 7 minutes at a time while they give up soft goals and I daydream about playing against them next season.

1Knee1T 11-08-2011 04:48 PM

I think in general people don't like to hear that they messed up during the game and would rather hear it after, but the problem is that it becomes difficult to remember certain situations where something should be adjusted. For example, a player on our team tends to become selfish when he sees a chance for shot, even if a simple pass would set up a better one.

"You had me open across the crease before, you should have dished it to me for a tap in."
"No I scored off that 2-on-0."
"That's not the play I'm talking about..."

In the long run I think it's better to address it on the bench.