HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   GMail invites for Flyers fans (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=102420)

Mongoose 09-08-2004 06:40 PM

GMail invites for Flyers fans
 
Hey guys. I thought i'd give something back to my fellow flyer bretheren. I have 6 extra gmail invites and if anyone is interested or wants one just send me an email at drdreidel@gmail.com
Also feel free to send me something funny, a good joke, good story, something that would make me choose your email if two were to arrive around the same time.

Goose :yo:

FearTheFlyers 09-08-2004 08:38 PM

What's a GMail invite?

RoDu 09-08-2004 09:04 PM

yeah, i've heard of gmails before, but not what they are. enlighten us

DeleteThisAccount 09-08-2004 09:16 PM

Google's mail service with 1GB storage. It's currently in a limited end-user testing phase right now, and invites are the only way in.

iceman42 09-08-2004 09:20 PM

no thanks got my own :banana:

Steve L* 09-09-2004 04:33 AM

they also scan your emails and put ads in that they think are relevant to you. Not the sort of thing Id want with personal correspondence.

Mongoose 09-09-2004 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
they also scan your emails and put ads in that they think are relevant to you. Not the sort of thing Id want with personal correspondence.

Actually I've neevr seen one ad in all of my emails. Anyway if anyone is interested, i have four left.

Email me at drdreidel@gmail.com

Jester 09-09-2004 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose
Actually I've neevr seen one ad in all of my emails. Anyway if anyone is interested, i have four left.

Email me at drdreidel@gmail.com

there on the side... and there is no side use of the scans, basically it is a google search of the words in your email when you open it that makes it pop up... it isn't as if any email provider doesn't have the ability to look at emails if they want.

their interface is ****ing amazing by the way... disregarding the gig of storage(which is brilliant to offer since all of 1% of the population is going to get that much on the system) the interface is going to blow hotmail, yahoo, etc... out of the water.

Steve L* 09-09-2004 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose
Actually I've neevr seen one ad in all of my emails. Anyway if anyone is interested, i have four left.

Email me at drdreidel@gmail.com

Well its not the ads but rather the fact that they are scanning personal mail, the government probably gets access to it to.

How would peope feel if their normal mail was opened up and read and flyers were put in to match the content?

Jester 09-09-2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Well its not the ads but rather the fact that they are scanning personal mail, the government probably gets access to it to.

How would peope feel if their normal mail was opened up and read and flyers were put in to match the content?

i love the conspiracy theory.

if the gov't wants your email man, they can get it.

it's just scanning across it and using keywords to activate a search... not a big deal.

a) any server has the email on it... admins can get it if they want.
b) google wouldn't do this because someone out there would DEFINITELY catch them if they were, and what could turn into a huge moneymaker for them in the near future would fall on it's face. they aren't stupid.
c) it's a parsing algorithm... not a person. computer goes across activates a thing and moves on with it's life. not the matrix.

Steve L* 09-09-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
i love the conspiracy theory.

if the gov't wants your email man, they can get it.

it's just scanning across it and using keywords to activate a search... not a big deal.

I take it you dont value privacy then.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
a) any server has the email on it... admins can get it if they want.

That would be illegial and at least you have the law on your side.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
b) google wouldn't do this because someone out there would DEFINITELY catch them if they were, and what could turn into a huge moneymaker for them in the near future would fall on it's face. they aren't stupid.

They do for sure, this just makes it easier for them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
c) it's a parsing algorithm... not a person. computer goes across activates a thing and moves on with it's life. not the matrix.

I know that but that doesnt work with my normal mail comparison.

Dave Carlson 09-09-2004 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
I know that but that doesnt work with my normal mail comparison.

exactly, it nullifies it.

Steve L* 09-10-2004 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Carlson
exactly, it nullifies it.

Not really, it makes it worse because its a whole lot easier to them to seach for keywords.

Jester 09-10-2004 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Not really, it makes it worse because its a whole lot easier to them to seach for keywords.

it's not a "whole" lot easier. the same laws that keep other real people from reading your email apply to google... a search algorithm running across your email isn't "reading" your email, and humans aren't sitting their monitoring it, or they would be crossing the same lines you are concerned about.

this is all pointless because if someone wants to read your email, ANY email service, they can get it because unless you are working from some secured network emailing electronic data passed like that is very "getable" by someone that knows what they are doing and wants it. your concerns about google's parsing/search algorithm are pretty groundless in the big scheme of things, cuz it makes it no harder or easier for someone to read your email.

as I said, if the gov't wants your email... they can get it, doesn't matter what email you use... especially in the Patriot Act age.

Jester 09-10-2004 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Well its not the ads but rather the fact that they are scanning personal mail, the government probably gets access to it to.

How would peope feel if their normal mail was opened up and read and flyers were put in to match the content?

those two situations are so far removed from one another it isn't even funny. an algorithm sifting through the words of your email has no concious action in what it is doing... as opposed to mail being opened.

you are a very paranoid person.

Steve L* 09-10-2004 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
as I said, if the gov't wants your email... they can get it, doesn't matter what email you use... especially in the Patriot Act age.

Thankfully that doesnt apply to me, I still have my freedom from unwanted government intervention. If they do monitor me then its illegal unlike in the US.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
those two situations are so far removed from one another it isn't even funny. an algorithm sifting through the words of your email has no concious action in what it is doing... as opposed to mail being opened.

Yes but the person you programs the search algorithm has as idea of what hes searching for, plus he could search through billions of more mails than he could manually.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
you are a very paranoid person.

No, I just like personal freedom and liberties. Something this goes very much against.

Jester 09-10-2004 02:16 PM

the person programming is picking out words and throwing out searches... there is nothing sinister, and i would go so far as to say the programmer doing the algorithm didn't hard code anything into the search algorithm.

Steve L* 09-10-2004 04:56 PM

I think most people know by now if theres any possibles sinister use for anything, the government will do it.

Brad* 09-10-2004 06:52 PM

Oh Christ, the Government does not have the time or the need to scan anybody's email address unless they've done something to warrant being looked at.

The 4th amendment also makes it unlawful for the Gov't to look at your email at all unless they've got probable cause. So, unless you done something questionable and/or have something to hide, they're NOT looking at your email. Period. End of story.

Mongoose 09-10-2004 11:25 PM

Despite all your debating and arguing, that im glad to have caused, I still have 2 invites remaining. If interested send me an email at drdreidel@gmail.com

Toonces 09-10-2004 11:56 PM

I think a simple no thank you would be sufficiant.

I dig my GMail. Out of invites unfortunatly.

FearTheFlyers 09-11-2004 12:08 AM

What's better about GMail than other stuff like Hotmail?

Steve L* 09-11-2004 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
The 4th amendment also makes it unlawful for the Gov't to look at your email at all unless they've got probable cause. So, unless you done something questionable and/or have something to hide, they're NOT looking at your email. Period. End of story.

Ah, so innocent. :lol

FlyHigh 09-11-2004 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parise = The Future
I have two invites available also if anyone else here is interested. Just send me a private message with first and last name and an email address to send the invite to and I'll send them out. Its been cool talking hockey with the regulars in here over the past few years.

your avatar is pretty nice :yo:

Kevin Danko 09-12-2004 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
What's better about GMail than other stuff like Hotmail?


It is I, the ever living Kffk back again making my resurrection just to answer your question.............. Gmail offers 1 gigabyte of E-mail space....so youll never have to delete an e-mail again........there spam filters are unbelieveable, It is simple and Basic...no pop ups/advertising.......Not confusing.......Conveniant.


Ive been using hotmail for years but Gmail is the absolute best.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.