HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   adult league hockey price for stick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1024831)

puckmover 11-08-2011 09:02 AM

adult league hockey price for stick
 
to me skates and sticks are a big thing,

i notice a difference between high end to a low end stick or skates,

how much would you pay for a stick if you play adult league hockey and shinny.

im finding it hard to justify paying 200 for a stick,

usually i find year end deals top of the line sticks on sale and pay 100 to 150,

just curious what people think,

thanks

r3cc0s 11-08-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckmover (Post 39128187)
to me skates and sticks are a big thing,

i notice a difference between high end to a low end stick or skates,

how much would you pay for a stick if you play adult league hockey and shinny.

im finding it hard to justify paying 200 for a stick,

usually i find year end deals top of the line sticks on sale and pay 100 to 150,

just curious what people think,

thanks

thats what I do..

I got an an old RM19 for $60, which worked well until the blade went soft

I got a S11 for $60
I got a ST 3rd Gen for $100
I got a Vapor XXXX for $100

all about a season or two old (not used, just new old stock)

I don't spend money on my pads or pants in Shinny... no contact, not necessary to dress yourself in RBK 11K... Just 5030 stuff, but I do love my gloves ;) Palms mean everything

Jarick 11-08-2011 09:20 AM

I don't break sticks and I like them light weight. I'll pay $150 for a clearance high end stick but usually shop around for good deals. I buy a couple per year and usually sell them when I get bored with them. Bad habit.

Stickmata 11-08-2011 10:50 AM

I just buy the stick I like the best. It's only money.

Rink Bum 11-08-2011 11:53 AM

In order from where I spend most...

[1] Helmet
[2] Skates
[3] Gloves
[4] Pants
[5] Shins
[6] Elbows
[7] Stick

....yep...with my shoddy stick handling, I only spent $29 bucks + tax for a shaft and blade clearance special. Although I need a new blade soon.

I really cannot tell what stick is what in terms of feel, kick-point, and other stick related jargon other than how much it weighs. :laugh:

Maybe when my stick handling gets better in the future I'll look into buying a one piece. I'll spend more on safety for all the falls I take in a game - in a non-contact league/pickup. :laugh:

Jarick 11-08-2011 12:09 PM

For me:

Skates - $500
Stick - $150
Pants - $125
Gloves - $75
Shins - $75
Shoulders - $60
Helmet - $50
Cage - $45
Elbows - $30

If you take costs over three years though:

Stick - $1000 (more due to boredom than necessity)
Skates - $500
Gloves - $200 (two pairs plus a repalm)
Pants - $125
Shins - $75
Shoulders - $60
Helmet - $50
Cage - $45
Elbows - $30

I seem to replace the protective stuff after a few seasons. Just to keep it relatively fresh and sell it while it has some value left.

Devil Dancer 11-08-2011 12:24 PM

I have a bad left elbow and I shoot right, and if I don't use a light stick I start getting regular pain and popping in my elbow. I'm also pretty small and rarely break sticks, so I usually spend $140-$220 per stick, and they last a full calendar year. Right now I'm using a One95 that I got at the low end of my price range.

r3cc0s 11-08-2011 12:25 PM

for me a quality stick is quite important...

I've used crap composits, heavy and full of fiberglass... with terrible foam blades that you can barely feel the puck with...

going to the Easton ST for me, was a HUGE diffderence for me... not only is it light, but the swing chacteristics and the blade feel, is so much closer to wood than my other composites were

Jarick 11-08-2011 12:26 PM

Wait till you try one of those $200+ sticks that you get on clearance for half that :D

vapor11 11-08-2011 01:22 PM

I play pickup hockey with full grown men and sometimes it gets really chippy..slashes are common and sometimes I want to grab people by the neck and tell them to chill out it is just scrub hockey when they slash my low end one peices

The most expensive stick I have used is my Vapor x20.. I have never used a high end one peice but really want too just to see what its like..but for what I play(for fun) it is not worth spending $100-200 on one

The Tikkanen 11-08-2011 02:07 PM

Skates-$600
Stick-$180
Helmet-$120
Don't believe in going cheap in any of those 3 pieces of equipment.

Malreg 11-08-2011 02:19 PM

I just went from using an X40 to an RS Stealth, and even though I've only used it once so far, it's absolutely fantastic!

Badger36 11-08-2011 03:29 PM

Just buy a wood stick for $60 and call it a day. No one who plays for fun, "needs" a composite stick.

Jarick 11-08-2011 03:30 PM

Nobody "needs" to play hockey either.

Cowbell232 11-08-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkey36 (Post 39140799)
Just buy a wood stick for $60 and call it a day. No one who plays for fun, "needs" a composite stick.

I can't play with a wood stick. I break them regularly and they feel like trash after a few weeks.

I'd rather spend ~200 bucks every couple of months and be done with it. I've had composites last right around 6 months. I'd have to buy woodies every 2-4 weeks...

Xvash2 11-08-2011 04:35 PM

I loaded up on sticks at a warehouse sale. 3 10ks for $120 a piece and an 8.0.8 for $100. Broke the 8.0.8 over the summer at a drop in while taking a slapshot, and broke another one of the 10ks in an adult game when some fat oaf fell on my stick while in a scrum.

After having spent a year or two using low-end models, the 10ks are a blessing. And say what you want about how stupid the 8.0.8 is, I had the most powerful shots I've ever taken come off the end of that stick.

r3cc0s 11-08-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowbell232 (Post 39142629)
I can't play with a wood stick. I break them regularly and they feel like trash after a few weeks.

I'd rather spend ~200 bucks every couple of months and be done with it. I've had composites last right around 6 months. I'd have to buy woodies every 2-4 weeks...

Wood would just not work for me... I'd be going through one every 2-3 games easy

I love the feel, but they break down way faster than composite.

No wood won't detonate like a composite does on TV, but:

#1 - you aren't a pro, you aren't being hacked like a pro and you don't load and take shots like one
#2 - Their sticks are MOSTLY graphite and with stiff flex, and from what my neighbor tells me, they're not quite as durable as the retail stuff, but are lighter and better balanced

#3 - Though you don't see wood sticks detonate like compsosites on TV... you dont' actually realize how many wood sticks pro's used to go through in a game. They lose their flex with every shot, hack... Composites may lose a bit of flex in the blade in time, but the shaft remains consistant until it does break.

anyways... why spend $60 on a premium wood stick, where I'm not sure there are any decent wood ones other than 5030, and spend that on a "discount" quality stick...
I've seen S15's go for $79, which is alot of quality for the buck

vapor11 11-08-2011 05:48 PM

I grew up playing with wood sticks but I don't think I am going back now..I prefer the feel and flex of the composites and find wood sticks stiff

I don't even bother taking slapshots anymore...I think that was the main reason for the chipping away of the blades on my early one peices

ponder 11-08-2011 05:51 PM

Agreed, I go through wood sticks WAY faster than I go through composites, and I like the performance of composites better too. I generally go with high end composites that are on clearance, so about $100-150 per stick, I'll take that any day over 3-5 $30 woodies, and they easily last me 3-5 times as long as a woodie.

vapor11 11-08-2011 06:15 PM

http://i39.tinypic.com/29576zr.jpg

My collection of low ends..Most appear fine but are broken..

Currently use the vapor x20 with supreme one20 for backup

Favorite are the x20 and the Synergy but the Eastons blade chipped away(maybe from slapping or use at the outdoor rinks)..it mainly chipped away at the tip from toe dragging

I have had to pick this many up in less then a year of pickup hockey..although I play frequently at the outdoor rinks in the winter

rinkrat22 11-08-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 39145241)
Agreed, I go through wood sticks WAY faster than I go through composites, and I like the performance of composites better too. I generally go with high end composites that are on clearance, so about $100-150 per stick, I'll take that any day over 3-5 $30 woodies, and they easily last me 3-5 times as long as a woodie.

Agreed, a year old model (high end of course) is the best way to go. I still have a one95 that I just unwrapped. I got it on clearance for $100. I'll buy them when the prices come down and just sit on them till I need them. Just waiting for the totalone to drop in price.

r3cc0s 11-09-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 39137799)
Skates-$600
Stick-$180
Helmet-$120
Don't believe in going cheap in any of those 3 pieces of equipment.

stick, gloves and skates are what I think are the biggest aspects for performance...

I got my 9k skates for $229 new
Gloves, too many pairs to count... but cuff and palm preference makes a huge difference
Stick... wood feel with composite lightness and flex points

Helmet? I've got almost as many I do pairs of gloves, and my vintage HT2 w/ an ITECH does the trick
I had a V10, S19... but good ole VN foam all the way

Jarick 11-09-2011 08:58 AM

The only composite I broke lasted me 15-20 games and was a super light demo model. Even if I paid $150 for it, that's $8-10 per game.

The last wood stick I ever bought snapped in half the first time I used it. Paid $30 for it, so that's $30 per ice time. Previously I had an Easton wood stick I paid $30 for and the blade went soft after four skates, which was $7.50 per game.

My current stick is a Vapor X60 which cost me $175 and I've used it for maybe 40 games so far, which is $4 per game and dropping.

Cowbell232 11-09-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s (Post 39144377)
Wood would just not work for me... I'd be going through one every 2-3 games easy

I love the feel, but they break down way faster than composite.

No wood won't detonate like a composite does on TV, but:

#1 - you aren't a pro, you aren't being hacked like a pro and you don't load and take shots like one
#2 - Their sticks are MOSTLY graphite and with stiff flex, and from what my neighbor tells me, they're not quite as durable as the retail stuff, but are lighter and better balanced

#3 - Though you don't see wood sticks detonate like compsosites on TV... you dont' actually realize how many wood sticks pro's used to go through in a game. They lose their flex with every shot, hack... Composites may lose a bit of flex in the blade in time, but the shaft remains consistant until it does break.

anyways... why spend $60 on a premium wood stick, where I'm not sure there are any decent wood ones other than 5030, and spend that on a "discount" quality stick...
I've seen S15's go for $79, which is alot of quality for the buck

The difference between pro-stock and retail sticks are real. I've had both pro-stock and retail S19s and TotalOnes.

Pro-stock S19s, according to a postage meter (Hey, it's an accurate digital scale!) are roughly 5-grams or so lighter then retail and it was also a bit longer (about 1/2"). The pro-stock also didn't have the same coating around the taper to the blade as the retail. I assume that had something to with the weight difference... Otherwise they felt identical in play and everything. However, the retail sticks did last a LOT longer then pro-stock in terms of feel. I think a brand new pro-stock probably feels better at the taper when stick handling, but after a bit of play they are pretty much the same.

Pro-stock and retail TotalOnes had the same weight, same coating, same everything. Virtually identical in every facet. Much happier with the retail quality of the TotalOne compared to the retail quality of the S19 - then again, the same could be said about any S19 v TotalOne IMHO.

I just got a retail RS Stealth last week and have played with it once. It's a very good stick, but I'm not 100% happy with it yet. I don't want to pass judgement until I get some more ice time with it though.

r3cc0s 11-09-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowbell232 (Post 39181245)
The difference between pro-stock and retail sticks are real. I've had both pro-stock and retail S19s and TotalOnes.

Pro-stock S19s, according to a postage meter (Hey, it's an accurate digital scale!) are roughly 5-grams or so lighter then retail and it was also a bit longer (about 1/2"). The pro-stock also didn't have the same coating around the taper to the blade as the retail. I assume that had something to with the weight difference... Otherwise they felt identical in play and everything. However, the retail sticks did last a LOT longer then pro-stock in terms of feel. I think a brand new pro-stock probably feels better at the taper when stick handling, but after a bit of play they are pretty much the same.

Pro-stock and retail TotalOnes had the same weight, same coating, same everything. Virtually identical in every facet. Much happier with the retail quality of the TotalOne compared to the retail quality of the S19 - then again, the same could be said about any S19 v TotalOne IMHO.

I just got a retail RS Stealth last week and have played with it once. It's a very good stick, but I'm not 100% happy with it yet. I don't want to pass judgement until I get some more ice time with it though.

well intrestingly... my neighbor has a TotalOne which is actually a One95 - just a different paint job

its like anything and especially if you are sponsored, you'll get what you want, but generally I think that pro-stocks are less durable...
Cammillari went through 70 sticks last season... and I'm sure they're on the ice probably close to 300+ times a year, that's still remarkable concidering he's not a 220+ beast and doesn't take big slappers. I think pro stocks are more brittle, and often the blades have various weaves for various reasons... (my buddy's has two weaves on the blade of his one95 repaint of a totalOne)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.