HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Sports Illustrated writer nominates Ian Laperriere for Sportsman of the Year (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1025087)

MiamiScreamingEagles 11-08-2011 06:07 PM

Sports Illustrated writer nominates Ian Laperriere for Sportsman of the Year

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1d9rgyCxR

Quote:

Sports Illustrated will announce its choice for Sportsman of the Year on Dec. 6. Here's one of the nominations for that honor by an SI writer.

Whenever I think about Ian Laperriere, I also immediately think about a little girl named Ellie Rolfs.

You see it all the time and it's still a good thing: athletes visiting sick kids on team outings, athletes giving money to sick kids, athletes saying all the right things about perspective when talking about sick kids. But, really, that's usually as far as it goes. These guys are busy, under a lot of pressure, and have families and troubles of their own.

"Lappy" had all of the above -- and still does -- when he played with the Colorado Avalanche. But he found time -- lots of it -- to give to Ellie, who in 2008 was diagnosed at age 2 with Stage IV Widely Diffuse Anaplastic Wilm's Tumor -- an aggressive, rare form of pediatric kidney cancer.

Following the diagnosis, this little girl spent 90 days in the hospital, received 40 blood transfusions, had a tumor removed from her lungs, underwent more than a dozen high-radiation treatments, and had yards of tubes anchored to her frail body.

But you want to talk about hockey tough?

Ellie today is two years in remission, her once bald head now covered by beautiful long, blonde hair.

Beef Invictus 11-08-2011 06:13 PM

Lappy rules.

ShawnTHW 11-08-2011 06:55 PM

Lappy cures cancer. How could you NOT give him Sportsman of the Year.

mirimon 11-08-2011 07:16 PM

Any trophies/recognition whatsoever heading Lappy's way is well deserved.

A little child seeing the sacrifice and hard work put out there on the ice by a fourth liner, though? I think there's a future NHL coach in waiting there.

BernieParent 11-08-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

"Plus, it's the only way I could have ever won a trophy in the NHL. Get two pucks to the face."
That line made me laugh.

robitaille20 11-09-2011 04:15 PM

Saw this on Puck Daddy. Great for LaPerriere.

As someone who doesn't follow the Flyers much, is it certain that his career is over?

MiamiScreamingEagles 11-09-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Oneironaut (Post 39193219)
Saw this on Puck Daddy. Great for LaPerriere.

As someone who doesn't follow the Flyers much, is it certain that his career is over?

It hasn't been formally announced as such, there are financial/salary cap issues. He is currently on LTIR but is still around the team.

PuckBoy33 11-11-2011 10:28 AM

That's all well and good, BUT

When's he gonna get his arse back on the ice? Lappy should either shyte or get off the pot. I hope he doesn't turn into another Hatcher or Cote.

$0.02 (my Two Cents)

Beef Invictus 11-11-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 (Post 39280297)
When's he gonna get his arse back on the ice? Lappy should either shyte or get off the pot. I hope he doesn't turn into another Hatcher or Cote.

$0.02 (my Two Cents)

Are you serious?

CharlieGirl 11-11-2011 11:15 AM

Wonderful tribute just to be nominated -- the game and the world could use more like Lappy.

Quote:

$0.02 (my Two Cents)

Are you seriously this much of an ass, or do you have to work at it?

Protest 11-11-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

$0.02 (my Two Cents)

Can you go into further detail?

Beef Invictus 11-11-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protest (Post 39282137)
Can you go into further detail?

I'd rather he didn't.

PB, educate yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_brain_injury

ORYX 11-11-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

$0.02 (my Two Cents)

I have an idea, since you think he should be back playing and all by now...

I think we should fire a couple pucks at your face and see how quickly, if ever, you return to posting here, let alone leading a fully functional life.

You have stooped to levels unknown. Do us all a favor and never post here again, you are a disgrace.

Protest 11-11-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 39284405)
I'd rather he didn't.

ha true.

I was just curious as to what would make someone think that. I'm guessing he doesn't actually think it, and just wanted to piss someone off.

SeanL44 11-11-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

$0.02 (my Two Cents)

Hahaha, oh wow.

Anyway, Lappy deserves all the respect he's been getting lately. Can't remember the article it was from but he said something like "man why didn't I sign for this team years ago!" Hope hes around the organization for a long, long time.

BernieParent 11-11-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

$0.02 (my Two Cents)

Here they are back, if you promise to not post again.
http://stylreesta.files.wordpress.co.../two-cents.jpg

Giroux tha Damaja 11-12-2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

$0.02 (my Two Cents)

Sit down.