HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Poms as #1 "Center" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1025661)

Connor McDavid 11-09-2011 11:34 AM

Poms as #1 "Center"

I must say, this certainly snuck up on me, though I suppose not being able to watch most of the games is as valid an excuse as any. When/how did this come about, and why is it so successful? Poms has always been a truly skilled player, but was there any inkling of this before this season?

jamers 11-09-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems (Post 39184989)
I must say, this certainly snuck up on me, though I suppose not being able to watch most of the games is as valid an excuse as any. When/how did this come about, and why is it so successful? Poms has always been a truly skilled player, but was there any inkling of this before this season?

None for me, beyond him being a defensively responsible forward.

However, this season his FO% is... well, good, particularly for a winger. He won 12-2 last night in the circle. Looks like he's above 55% at home, and is just under 43% on the road on the season so far.

I don't think there's any need to actually move him to center, but essentially he's a guy who can play two positions on our top line if need be. I think some other posters mentioned that he was taking some FOs with Roy on the ice late in the last game. Shows the confidence Ruff has in him. Definitely a plus.

Jame 11-09-2011 11:52 AM

If you've considered Zetterberg a center all these years... then so is Pominville.

Jason Pominville is the Buffalo Sabres #1 center, and all around most valuable player.

(see im not some stubborn and biased against anyone)

barcs 11-09-2011 12:15 PM

It was either early in his Buffalo career or late in his Rochester career that he was used on defense for a couple of games. Truly a versatile player.

Crazy Tasty 11-09-2011 12:18 PM

He's not big enough to be a #1 center.

gallagt01 11-09-2011 12:19 PM

Pominville has been great. I wish they'd just call him the No. 1 center already. Skill, a high compete level, defense-savvy, intangibles. Playing great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 39185705)
If you've considered Zetterberg a center all these years... then so is Pominville.

Jason Pominville is the Buffalo Sabres #1 center, and all around most valuable player.

(see im not some stubborn and biased against anyone)

While Poms contributions defensively and on the PK don't go unnoticed, I believe Vanek is the wheel that makes the offense go. He was our MVP (skater) last season and I think he's doing the same this year.

Myllz 11-09-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty (Post 39186677)
He's not big enough to be a #1 center.

Neither is Sidney Crosby or John Tavares.

Crazy Tasty 11-09-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myllz (Post 39186765)
Neither is Sidney Crosby or John Tavares.

sorry, I forgot the :sarcasm: after my post.

sk8haggard9 11-09-2011 12:31 PM

Pominville epitomizes exactly what Ruff wants in a player. Sometimes he may fly under the radar (not this season as he's been noticably explosive), but he always finds a way to rack up points, plays both special teams units, and plays amazing defensive hockey. I feel his time spent on the top line in 06/07 really helped mold him into the player he is today. I see the defensive responsibility that Hecht instilled in him, along with great vision and playmaking, akin to Briere.

So glad he is our captain.

BackGroundMusic 11-09-2011 12:38 PM

I was thinking earlier today about how a few years ago at the end of the season, I described Pominville by saying that he had the worst 70 point season I had ever seen.

I'm glad to see that his confidence and decision making has caught up with his talent level. He truly is one of the key guys on this team, without a sliver of a doubt.

boots electric 11-09-2011 12:44 PM

i know there's no such thing as 1:1 comparables, but he's been reminding me of chris drury lately...the good one.

that's a good thing

Timbo Slice 11-09-2011 12:47 PM

Our new Captain Clutch?

The leadership on this team is actually kind of reminding of the Drury-Briere years. Drury is Pominville, and Briere is Roy/Vanek.

And people said the core of this team wasn't good enough...

start winnin 11-09-2011 01:18 PM

Let's not get carried away here, I love what I'm seeing so far, but these guys still need to prove it when it counts.

slip 11-09-2011 01:37 PM

I'm comfy with Jason taking faceoffs and playing right wing. Don't mess with what's working.

DixonWard15 11-09-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems (Post 39184989)

2005-2006, right?

New Sabres Captain 11-09-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixonWard15 (Post 39190585)
2005-2006, right?

I remember the playoffs Ruff talked about moving him to D because of all the injuries, but don't recall any discussion about center (especially since we already had Briere/Drury/Connolly/Roy/Gaustad/Mair/Hecht on the roster). Ruff's feeling was since he played on the point quite a bit he might be able to make that transition for a few games, and because Pominville was decent defensively it could work out. But ultimately we went to Janik/Jillson/Paetsch.

sba 11-09-2011 02:10 PM

But his contract sucks and he's not physical and we should trade him immediately </last year>

New Sabres Captain 11-09-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sba (Post 39190907)
But his contract sucks and he's not physical and we should trade him immediately </last year>

I'm proud to say I never wanted to trade Pominville...felt he was maybe 500K overpaid but I could live with that given his value. Now, it's almost looking like he's 500K underpaid.

Of course, one can cue the "flash in the pan, trade him while he has the most value zomg" talk now... :sarcasm:

Jame 11-09-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords (Post 39191257)
I'm proud to say I never wanted to trade Pominville...felt he was maybe 500K overpaid but I could live with that given his value. Now, it's almost looking like he's 500K underpaid.

Of course, one can cue the "flash in the pan, trade him while he has the most value zomg" talk now... :sarcasm:

Im glad to say my opinion is ever changing and based on the present.

Bobby Bottle Service 11-09-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 39191439)

So you were for trading JPoms before you were against it. Jame, you could be president someday.

(FWIW, I questioned JPoms value to the team before... mea culpa)

New Sabres Captain 11-09-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

So is mine, I just never bought into the Pominville sucks argument. I always thought he had a ton of value to this team, even if it didn't show up on the scoreboard.

dire wolf 11-09-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Being flexible enough to change your opinion is a good thing -- provided you don't take it to an extreme level and become one of the many fans whose opinion is based entirely on "what have you done for me lately." There are so many thread on this board of people wanting to jump off the ledge whenever a player is in a slump, or are planning the Cup parade when we are playing well for a few games.

Havok89 11-09-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo Slice (Post 39187747)
Our new Captain Clutch?

The leadership on this team is actually kind of reminding of the Drury-Briere years. Drury is Pominville, and Briere is Roy/Vanek.

And people said the core of this team wasn't good enough...

To be fair, the core of this team has yet to win a playoff series. This is their year to prove otherwise. Regier gave them skill and depth at forward, defense, and goaltending, now it's time to see what they do with it.

SoFFacet 11-09-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slip (Post 39189635)
I'm comfy with Jason taking faceoffs and playing right wing. Don't mess with what's working.

The whole point of this thread is that if you really watch the VAP line play, Pominville playing center is already "whats working."

Anyways, if Ruff ever lets Pominville be the center of the 1st line in name as well as reality, that opens up a TON of line combinations, the most interesting of which include putting Stafford, Boyes, or even Tropp on their RW, or even switching Vanek there and putting Gerbe on their LW.

I know many people harp on Ruff for too much line tweaking, but there are a ton of unexplored possibilities there. Just sayin.

Jame 11-09-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFFacet (Post 39197517)
The whole point of this thread is that if you really watch the VAP line play, Pominville playing center is already "whats working."

Anyways, if Ruff ever lets Pominville be the center of the 1st line in name as well as reality, that opens up a TON of line combinations, the most interesting of which include putting Stafford, Boyes, or even Tropp on their RW, or even switching Vanek there and putting Gerbe on their LW.

I know many people harp on Ruff for too much line tweaking, but there are a ton of unexplored possibilities there. Just sayin.

completely agree.

I'd love to see Stafford on that line with Van and Pommer.

i wouldnt do anything to change GGB though.

I'd like to see Kaleta come back and join the Leino-Stafford line. And let Adam work out some kinks on the grind line with McCormick and Ellis