HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Would Montreal be better to play with an offensive sytem ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1026607)

PunkinDrublic* 11-10-2011 03:52 PM

Would Montreal be better to play with an offensive sytem ?

With the players they have ( saying everyone was healthy :laugh: ). Would the Habs be a better offensive team than the boring and sometime innafective defensive hockey that JM has set up ?

lillypad33 11-10-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHMB Prez (Post 39237965)
With the players they have ( saying everyone was healthy :laugh: ). Would the Habs be a better offensive team than the boring and sometime innafective defensive hockey that JM has set up ?

I think that the players that they have lend to a different style of hockey.
Unfortunately what I think means nothing.

I'm sure that Gauthier and Martin have had these discussions, and believe the opposite.

29dryden29 11-10-2011 04:58 PM

Short answer yes

beowulf 11-10-2011 05:07 PM

I think yes but not likely going to happen any time soon. Heck we get a 1 goal lead and Martin has them playing even more defensive.

JLP 11-10-2011 05:11 PM

Can Martin coach any other type of system?

Game 11-10-2011 05:14 PM

I would love for the Habs to play a more offensive style. However, I don't think we have enough skill. So far this season, the Habs have the worst passing game in the league, hands down. Passes are never tape to tape & always in the skates. As a result, we can't get past the neutral zone, and we have to be the team with the most offsides in the league, it's so frustrating. Our lackluster power play is a testament to how bad our passing game is. As long as this continues to be an issue, an offensive style won't improve the situation.

S Bah 11-10-2011 05:16 PM

I think that when the Habs get the new young prospects playing and acquire a bigger centerman as #1 they will be ready to make a serious run for the Stanley Cup.Having Tinordi, Beaulieu,Pateryn and Ellis joining the defence in place with Kristo,Leblanc,Quailer etc.The team will be a formidable force for any team they meet.:handclap::yo::yo:Then the Habs will be able to play a hardhitting Offensive game.

Teufelsdreck 11-10-2011 05:19 PM

I say no, it's a naive and foolhardy strategy. The Habs do not have the personnel to win by playijng that way. Sure, the Habs would score more goals but so would their opponents. A number of NHL teams have players with superior offensive skills--just glance at the standings and see where the Habs stand. it would be suicide to play run and gun against Tampa Bay, for example, but they're not the only ones. The Habs defense would crumble and Price would wish he was playing somewhere else. The high first rounders drafted by other teams would lick their lips at the prospect of playing the Habs.

Goodbye, go back to reality, Mr. OP.

Teufelsdreck 11-10-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillypad33 (Post 39240307)
I think that the players that they have lend to a different style of hockey.
Unfortunately what I think means nothing.

I'm sure that Gauthier and Martin have had these discussions, and believe the opposite.

They're right. Cavalry charges against machine gun nests are suicidal.

Habs13 11-10-2011 05:27 PM

Would Montreal be better to play with an offensive sytem? Do fish like water??

ECWHSWI 11-10-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 39241035)
Can Martin coach any other type of system?

short awnser : NO

reality, most coaches cant use more than a system or two, wether it's offense or defense they usually keep the same strategies (except for minor mods) for all their career.

Shabutie 11-10-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI (Post 39241553)
short awnser : NO

reality, most coaches cant use more than a system or two, wether it's offense or defense they usually keep the same strategies (except for minor mods) for all their career.

Weren't the sens among the top scoring teams in the league when Jacques was there?

Stjonnypopo 11-10-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 39241727)
Weren't the sens among the top scoring teams in the league when Jacques was there?

Wasn't that with Hossa/Alfredsson/Havlat/Spezza/Redden(when he was on his game)/Chara?

Anyway, I don't think that we need a run and gun offence like some other teams have but we need a system that better compliments our speed. We're always playing the dump and chase. Is Gionta gonna beat Chara on a dump and chase? I don't think so. I think we need a system where we use our speed to get into open spaces. Have them chasing after us all the time instead of just sitting back on small leads.

WhiskeySeven 11-10-2011 05:45 PM

Yes, yes a thousand times yes. Plekanec, Pacioretty, Cole, Cammy, Gionta, DD, Eller, Kostitsyn and Blowmez. That's more than enough talent to be able to out-speed and penetrate a god-damned blue line.

ECWHSWI 11-10-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 39241727)

replace the A.K., Gionta, etc with Hossa, Havlat and co and you'll have your top offense...

axman88 11-10-2011 05:57 PM

they'd be good in a 1-3-1 system!:jk:

DJ Breadman 11-10-2011 05:57 PM

There was an interesting disccusion about styles of play on sportsnet hockey at noon show or whatever the hell it's called with doug Mclean. They had a big discussion about the Tampa philly game and what went on there with the trap. Anyways he was saying it can be a misconception that the trap is no offence because the teams that have players who can play that system well they create the turnover in the neautral zone by playing the 1 3 1 and as soon as they create the turnover they flip back into offense and go into the other team's zone often with an odd man advantage say a 3-2. Also talked about Jacque lemaire and how he won a cup in new jersey by trapping, his first 3 lines would trap to perfection but the 4th line players Mackay and I forget who the other two were couldn't trap worth a damn, so he would send them into forcheck and bang the dman. So you'd have a system where 3 lines would trap and one line would punnish you on the boards. Also talked about Mark Crawford refuses to use the trap he just lets his players go. I'm not really sure what system our team is using, maybe we do need a new coach with a new system or maybe the players are to blame some aswell. Doesn't seem like we have many snipers to me. Most shots are into the mid section of the goalie, seems like only one or 2 guys is good at picking corners

Boris Le Tigre 11-10-2011 05:58 PM

Would be fun to watch but top end skill is at the root of our offensive deficiency, I think. I'm not sure a change in tactics would tip the scales.

We play to our strengths, stylistically focused on goaltending and special teams. The Habs need to start clicking on the powerplay. Prior to this year our PP was a strength. And there, we have had a good track record.

HCH 11-10-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 39241249)
I say no, it's a naive and foolhardy strategy. The Habs do not have the personnel to win by playijng that way. Sure, the Habs would score more goals but so would their opponents. A number of NHL teams have players with superior offensive skills--just glance at the standings and see where the Habs stand. it would be suicide to play run and gun against Tampa Bay, for example, but they're not the only ones. The Habs defense would crumble and Price would wish he was playing somewhere else. The high first rounders drafted by other teams would lick their lips at the prospect of playing the Habs.

I agree, we could end up being dead last if we played a more offensive system. At the moment we are in 28th place overall and certainly can't take the chance of dropping two more spots in the standings... too much risk in that strategy. ;)

Using our "safe" defensive system we have lost 90 of 178 regular season games since Martin took over.

m00ks 11-10-2011 06:04 PM

Clearly, we don't have the horses.

HCH 11-10-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m00ks (Post 39242783)
Clearly, we don't have the horses.

So we have a team the relies on skating and its quickness but rather than use that to forecheck and pressure the opposition, we fall back into a defensive shell. Is that the best use of our talent? It's not like we dress 20 Bob Gainey's every night.

jamz 11-10-2011 06:22 PM

Not in the playoffs. The Habs can't compete offensively with the offensive powerhouses of the NHL. They need to use their speed and be sound defensively to win.

Hugo Sham 11-10-2011 07:03 PM

martin's an idiot. this team needs to play a puck possession speed game...forecheck and use its speed and quickness...not this ****ing stupid sit back dump and chase where it can't win puck battles or contain bigger teams down low...
proof is in the pudding by the number of chintzy penalties we take.
if we played an up tempo skating game, we'd draw more than we take

icerocket 11-10-2011 07:11 PM

They already rely on him to do everything, so why not try and score more than 2 goals?

PunkinDrublic* 11-10-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 39241249)

Strange answer, but to be expected i guess.
I mean why would we use our biggest quality,like Price ?
This team healthy could play like the Flyers run and gun and rely on Price.