HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sean "Ovechkin" Avery (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1028245)

KingWantsCup 11-12-2011 09:15 PM

Sean "Ovechkin" Avery
 
How bout that goal last night? :amazed:

Okay he's not Ovie, but I feel his offensive skills are underrated since people focus so much on his agitation methods (which by the way were also highly effective last night). Overall I'm very happy with Avery being back in the line up. This team for some reason can not get it together without him.

Ail 11-12-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWantsCup (Post 39345159)
Okay he's not Ovie

Just when I thought our LW troubles were solved, you have to tell me this. :rant:

Affinity 11-12-2011 09:23 PM

He is rated just fine.

chip chipperson* 11-12-2011 09:25 PM

greatest goal of all time

Stanley Foobrick 11-12-2011 09:29 PM

Avery hasn't played in an NHL loss yet this year..... that's more important than any goal.

Barbara Underhill 11-12-2011 10:16 PM

He's scored one goal, a nice one sure. Let's not get carried away though. If he continues playing like this he can be very effective. His first three games back were nothing to write home about so I'm not going to attribute the streak to him, although its an interesting stat.

Hellion 11-12-2011 10:18 PM

Nice breakaway and finish, but the only reason he got in the position to score that goal was by not working back after we lost the puck. If we would have let a goal in on that 4-2 Avery (and the other two forwards out there) would have been whipped for coasing back to our D zone

n8 11-12-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellion (Post 39351749)
Nice breakaway and finish, but the only reason he got in the position to score that goal was by not working back after we lost the puck. If we would have let a goal in on that 4-2 Avery (and the other two forwards out there) would have been whipped for coasing back to our D zone

I dunno. sure he was a bit slow on the play but he got back in position way before the puck got out of our zone. His speed was what got him to the puck first. I think people forget just how fast Sean Avery is. Not fast enough to get his own thread about it :sarcasm: but darn fast.


Swagelin 11-12-2011 11:12 PM

Sean Avery 4gp 1 goal
Brandon Dubinsky 15gp 1 goal


Send dubi down :sarcasm:

satrabyk 11-13-2011 12:06 AM

Thats right were a totally different team with Avery, and not by accident he does some great stuff out there.

satrabyk 11-13-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip chipperson (Post 39346385)
greatest goal of all time

its honestly the best goal of the season for sure, but Richards pass to Girardi was quite nice i have to credit on that one.

n8 11-13-2011 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satrabyk (Post 39359267)
its honestly the best goal of the season for sure, but Richards pass to Girardi was quite nice i have to credit on that one.

that wins best set up of the season (so far)

nyr2k2 11-13-2011 01:56 AM

So typical for Sean. Scores a goal and clocks the goalie as well. Everything he does is in some way annoying. :laugh:

reaktorblue 11-13-2011 02:17 AM

For what it's worth, Cam Ward, at least twice that I saw used his stick as a weapon to assault the players.

You can see the highlight reel, here - http://www.nhl.com/ice/Recap.htm?id=2011020223

First Offense is about :50 into the video.
Second Offense is about 3:42 into the video.

I'm just kind of shocked there wasn't much mention about it. It seemed like quite a poor display of sportsmanlike conduct.

Kritikal 11-13-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satrabyk (Post 39359267)
its honestly the best goal of the season for sure, but Richards pass to Girardi was quite nice i have to credit on that one.

The one thing that needs to be noted about Avery's goal is he really didn't have a shot--Ward covered the angle really well. It wasn't until the last possible moment as he started to slide over that there was a drop of room top-shelf... just enough for Avery to fire the puck 60 degrees up and off the bottom of the crossbar.

Avery's goal was indeed one of the better goals this season, but I agree that BR's pass to Girardi was amazing. A no-look pass after he held the puck for what felt like forever, completely selling the shot. A thing of beauty, for sure.

Kane One 11-13-2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaktorblue (Post 39364121)
For what it's worth, Cam Ward, at least twice that I saw used his stick as a weapon to assault the players.

You can see the highlight reel, here - http://www.nhl.com/ice/Recap.htm?id=2011020223

First Offense is about :50 into the video.
Second Offense is about 3:42 into the video.

I'm just kind of shocked there wasn't much mention about it. It seemed like quite a poor display of sportsmanlike conduct.

The first one was because Callahan kept whacking at his pads.

BBKers 11-13-2011 06:03 AM

Best highlight goal of the year. Without a doubt: I am in the End becoming an Avery fan... Which is weird...

Matteau Matteau 11-13-2011 08:20 AM

He explodes with speed and then makes a sick move on the last defenseman--follows it up with an awesome top-shelf shot made under a ton of pressure and beating a tough goalie.

Only this board could make that into an excuse to knock him. :laugh:

truebluegoalie 11-13-2011 08:43 AM

Just a reminder:
3g in 76gp, oh and 174 pim to tack along with that.

Vitto79 11-13-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truebluegoalie (Post 39367173)
Just a reminder:
3g in 76gp, oh and 174 pim to tack along with that.

lol, yep...he's an energy player that can move up from the 4th line to the 3rd line throughout the yr if someone goes down or struggles a bit

buuut that's about it. I don't see him as a distraction to the team especially since the star players Richie and Hank love the guy

we all know he is not going to be back next yr since he is a UFA and a kid like Hagelin should take that spot out of camp

btw looking to next yr with Avery, 1.9, Wolski, 3.8 off the books they could easily chose to sign a top winger or maybe they even see who the best offensive Dman is on the market and go after them?

I like what Feds brings and I would bet he resigns again but they could clear that salary too. I don't really think much of Christensen,Eminger and Woywitka as UFA's since they make under a million anyway and even a kid's salary coming in is close

Matteau Matteau 11-13-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truebluegoalie (Post 39367173)
Just a reminder:
3g in 76gp, oh and 174 pim to tack along with that.

And how much ice-time?

x BEUKEBOOM x 11-13-2011 10:09 AM

This one was a pretty good show of skill at the time as well.:nod:



I Am Chariot 11-13-2011 10:27 AM

The win streak started the day they announced his recall

truebluegoalie 11-13-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau (Post 39367477)
And how much ice-time?

Well that stat is a little bit more difficult to find, but if your argument is that he only had 3 goals in 76 games because he didn't have a lot of ice time I am not really sure it is a solid argument considering in those same amount of limited minutes he managed to rack up 174 PIM. Not to mention going offsides an insane amount of times.

I was a fan of Avery during his first tenure here, but the fact is that now, despite this win streak which coincidentally is the same amount of games since his callup, Avery hasn't been the same sine his BS suspension. His value to this team is constantly overstated on these boards, and I will be happy when he is gone and a true skilled player can take his place. Don't get me wrong, in the meantime I will support him as a Ranger and hope he gets more goals like last night because it was pretty, but I think he has run his course here and like I said his value is grossly overstated.

silverfish 11-13-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truebluegoalie (Post 39367173)
Just a reminder:
3g in 76gp, oh and 174 pim to tack along with that.

No mention of his assists, or the fact that his ice time was the least among forwards on the Rangers who played over 25 games that season.

I had the figures awhile ago so I don't remember them exactly but I believe last season in the NHL Avery's 24 points were good for 4th or 5th among ALL NHL forwards who got less than 12 minutes of average ice per game.

Oh yeah and of those 21 assists 20 were at even strength which was good for third on the Rangers last season.

He was great against Carolina and in his limited ice time he's done everything asked of him. He even challenged Konokpa and took flak for that here. You can tell how hard he's trying to stick with the Rangers right now the way he addresses the media. He looks like a caged lion and he's doing his best to toe that line.

0 minor penalties since he's been brought up, Rangers haven't lost since he got here (obviously not due to a large part to Avery but the coincidence can't be ignored due to the sample size).

I'm trying to stay objective here because I am a big Avery supporter, so I think I did that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.