HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Is goalie coaching putting Bryzgalov down the drain? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1028357)

Mathradio 11-12-2011 09:44 PM

Is goalie coaching putting Bryzgalov down the drain?

I'm a Habs fan coming in peace. Is it me or Bryzgalov has been ruined by poor goalie coaching? And, even if the Flyers goalie coach was the right one for Bryzgalov, has he been ruined by poor coordination between the goalie coach and the rest of the team's coaching staff?

I'd say that better coordination between the goalie coach, who probably knows the goalies better than anyone else in the coaching staff, would probably help the rest of the team devise the defensive aspect of the game plan. Finally, I know that Holmgren didn't use the usual Flyers recipe to build a goalie graveyard; the Flyers ponied up quite a lot of money to sign Bryzgalov.

Jray42 11-12-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 39353825)
I'm a Habs fan coming in peace. Is it me or Bryzgalov has been ruined by poor goalie coaching? And, even if the Flyers goalie coach was the right one for Bryzgalov, has he been ruined by poor coordination between the goalie coach and the rest of the team's coaching staff?

I'd say that better coordination between the goalie coach, who probably knows the goalies better than anyone else in the coaching staff, would probably help the rest of the team devise the defensive aspect of the game plan. Finally, I know that Holmgren didn't use the usual Flyers recipe to build a goalie graveyard; the Flyers ponied up quite a lot of money to sign Bryzgalov.

That avatar says otherwise ;)

Mathradio 11-12-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jray42 (Post 39356815)
That avatar says otherwise ;)

With your comment, I got a grand total of 2 comments from Flyers fans about that avatar since I started using it (i.e. since I got an HFBoards account) Plus that avatar could have suggested that I am a Bruins, Pens, Devils or Rangers fan, before I explicitly said that I was a Habs fan.

Back to topic. The role of goalie coaching in a goalie's performance is easy to understate when it comes to explaining a goalie's misfortunes, even when the rest of the team performs up to standards. Most fans would blame the mental weakness of a goalie or the defense hanging a goalie out to dry before blaming a goalie's coach.

GKJ 11-12-2011 10:40 PM

First off, the Bryzgalov problem is overblown. It was a tough start, but he hasn't been a total disaster. Media laziness if you ask me.

Next, the current goalie coach just two years ago put two replacement-level goalies in a position to put their name on the Cup.

Mathradio 11-12-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 39357647)
First off, the Bryzgalov problem is overblown. It was a tough start, but he hasn't been a total disaster. Media laziness if you ask me.

Next, the current goalie coach just two years ago put two replacement-level goalies in a position to put their name on the Cup.

He is getting used to his new teammates and his new system, after playing in a defense-minded system for so long.

The previous Flyers goalie coaches, while not having the best talent to work with, may not have communicated very well with the rest of the team's coaches. If the goalie coach plays a role into devising a team's game plan, perhaps one such goalie coach can make an average goalie look like he's playing much better than he'd be otherwise.

GKJ 11-12-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 39358403)
He is getting used to his new teammates and his new system, after playing in a defense-minded system for so long.

The previous Flyers goalie coaches, while not having the best talent to work with, may not have communicated very well with the rest of the team's coaches. If the goalie coach plays a role into devising a team's game plan, perhaps one such goalie coach can make an average goalie look like he's playing much better than he'd be otherwise.

Right, well some things take time. Against St. Louis he coughed up the puck and led to the goal. Things happen.

The Winnipeg game was over-blown as well. People act like he's the one who gave up all 9 goals in that game.

BringBackStevens 11-12-2011 11:31 PM

He hasn't been horrible, but what does coaching have to do with him not playing better? He's already an established NHL goalie, what impact is lavi/Reese really going to have to hurt his numbers that much? He simply has not performed to expectations

orange is better 11-13-2011 12:42 AM

Jeff Reese, IMO, is one of the best goalie coaches in the league.

I don't think there's a problem there.

Giroux tha Damaja 11-13-2011 04:52 AM

There's really only two or three places where the goalie and the team need to sync up.

The goalie needs to be the defense's eyes when they're turned around. Bryzgalov has already admitted that they needed to work on this earlier in the season. The defense has to have a good idea of where rebounds fall off of different goalies. There's not that much difference between goalies IMO. The D and goalie need to know what to expect of one another on odd man rushes. Again there is a pretty standard set of responsibilities for each the D and goalie among all pro teams.

What I'm getting at is that I think that blaming a lack of synchronicity between the goalie and defense would be a big reach. The one area where I see Bryz getting pissed is that the defense instinctively doesn't trust their goalies on easy shots (after the last few seasons I can understand why, even Bob let in an unusual amount of head-scratchers last year, and Boucher and Leighton are what they are, and Emery sucked once he was hurt). When the defense wants to block every single shots it ends up creating a lot of flash screens, regular old screens, and avoidable deflections on opportunities that otherwise could be simple saves.

I had a defense man who used to try to get to every single shot with his stick. The kid was good for three deflection goals on me a season (really good defenseman otherwise though).

dookie88 11-13-2011 04:55 AM

Bryz flat out sucked for three or four games, other than that he's been fine.

WeekendAtBernies 11-13-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 39357623)
With your comment, I got a grand total of 2 comments from Flyers fans about that avatar since I started using it (i.e. since I got an HFBoards account) Plus that avatar could have suggested that I am a Bruins, Pens, Devils or Rangers fan, before I explicitly said that I was a Habs fan.

Back to topic. The role of goalie coaching in a goalie's performance is easy to understate when it comes to explaining a goalie's misfortunes, even when the rest of the team performs up to standards. Most fans would blame the mental weakness of a goalie or the defense hanging a goalie out to dry before blaming a goalie's coach.

Can we get back to that avatar? Why exactly are you using it? What do you have against the Flyers? The only thing we've done against you guys is beat you out of the Eastern Conference Finals.

SeanL44 11-13-2011 10:07 AM

I'd like to know your evidence for goalie coaching being a problem. Reese is one of the best goalie coaches in the league and like GKJ said already, he turned Leighton into a Stanley Cup goalie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 39357623)

I'm not sure I like your attitude either. It doesn't matter what team you're a fan of, its pretty insulting.

MiamiScreamingEagles 11-13-2011 10:12 AM

FWIW, Reese won a title in Tampa Bay as a goalie coach.

Sufficient answers were issued.

Thread ends here.